Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Other Reviews

Notices

Other Reviews Playstation, Xbox, PC, or any other console game Review. Also console reviews too

Comment

Review Tools
Street Fighter X Tekken
Street Fighter X Tekken
Will you cross the line?
Published by Gareth
06-05-2012
Author review
Graphics
90%90%90%
Storyline
80%80%80%
Controls/Gameplay
90%90%90%
Sound
85%85%85%
Average 86%
Street Fighter X Tekken

Will you cross the line?

If theres anything Capcom love, it's their own VS series. Wether it's VS Marvel or VS SNK its pretty much been their constant seller. However they've become a bit more personal with this one and decided to only bring in team Street Fighter against Namco's popular Tekken Cast and with them comes some really unique ideas.

The game tries to combine both styles into one game but obviously favours the Street Fighter play style as there is a Tekken x Street Fighter in the works being produced by Namco which will favour the Tekken style of play. Namely from the tekken side comes the tag system and manual throws equating to new game play and combo options.

The gameplay is what you would come to expect from a Capcom fighter. It's fast, fluid, flashy and colourful. With the tag system in place you can effectively switch between fighters in middle of combos to extend into juggles, super arts, cross arts etc. It's evidently seen from Tekken that when one fighter gets knocked out they lose the round instead of switching out team mates like the Marvel series meaning a very new type of play is needed. Along with that the new elements include gems and pandora mode.

Who hits first?

Gems are the biggest and most controversial addition to Street Fighter x Tekken, Separated into Assist Gems and Boost gems respectively. While assist gems are like training wheels which give auto block and auto-blocks for the cost of Gross Gauge and Boost gems boost a selected attribute for fulfilling certain conditions in-game such as giving you a 10% power increase for connecting with 5 normal moves. People were worried with the addition of gems less experienced players would defeat the fighting veterans with some well added gems giving an unfair advantage.

Zangief getting much needed speed boost thanks to the gems!

Pandora is this games rage mode, when your vitality falls below 25% you can activate this mode giving you unlimited cross gauge and a strength increase, which can either turn the tide. However when activating Pandora your only given 10 seconds before it times out and if it times out you will lose the round.

Lili getting a little to feisty!

Rosterwise it's a pretty even mix of the two franchies having the usual faces from both universes such as Ryu, Ken, Guile, M Bison, Kazuya, Yoshimitsu, Jin, King respectively. Each character has a tag-team except Ogre and Akuma. The PS3 Version has Toro, Kuro, Pac-Man, Mega-Man and Cole from Infamous.

The sound is very pleasing with voice work and solid soundtrack. The story tries to keep it simple "magic box contains power, everybody wants magic box, go find magic box" which honestly works because fighters with huge back stories have always been a dull moment.

Overall this game is fast, fluid and flashy, just what you would want from a capcom game. With the addition of a 99 second time out and gem system i don't see this game going anywhere competitively. If your just looking for a fun mash up between friends id definatly reccomend this title. Although if your looking for something to take to the big leagues id wait for Tekken x Street Fighter.

I'd give this game an 9/10.
Although i'd give capcom's thought on DLC a 1/10
Published by
Sponsored Links
By Tanis on 06-05-2012, 11:51 PM
As much as I like the game, I feel that there's something...empty, not to mention all the other problems with it. It's not as fun as it used to be.
By Rai17 on 06-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
80%80%80%
Storyline
70%70%70%
Controls/Gameplay
90%90%90%
Sound
75%75%75%
Average 79%
Niiiiice
By SuperGamecube64 on 06-26-2012, 05:12 PM
Couple typos and such that we all make, but great review overall. I still haven't picked this one up.
By Brandyn on 10-24-2012, 04:27 PM
You did a good job of explaining the gameplay but not so much saying of giving your opinion on if the game was good or not.

I just picked this up but I won't be playing it until I get home in a few hours. How does it hold up?
By SuperGamecube64 on 10-24-2012, 06:13 PM
Honestly, I got bored with it after a week, and I LOVE fighting games.
By Brandyn on 10-24-2012, 06:19 PM
Uh-oh.
Well perhaps I'll have to take it back before the seven day warranty and go for King of Fighters XIII then.
By Konata on 10-25-2012, 11:54 AM
This is wrapped up for Christmas for me. Looking forward to it.
By Killua on 10-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Pretty good review.
Comment