Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo Wii Reviews

Notices

Nintendo Wii Reviews Section for all Nintendo Wii Game Reviews and Wiiware Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
Epic Mickey
Epic Mickey
Published by Mikematute
06-13-2012
Author review
Graphics
95%95%95%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
95%95%95%
Average 96%
Epic Mickey

Many people have considered Disney games easy, not so complicated and childish. To try and make disappear this stereotype, Disney created this awesome game. Unfortunately, not so many people believed that Disney could be capable of good games but it did have its sales.
In the beginning of the game you are showed a video. Mickey is able to magically pass through a mirror and find the magician (the one that appears in the fantasia short “the wizards apprentice”) that is painting an incredible model (that represent an identical copy of magic kingdom). When he goes away, Mickey tries to copy him but creates “the Shadow Blot”, seeing that he created something terrible, he tries to erase it but drops more paint in it. Seen the magician entering the workshop, he tries to drop thinner to erase it and then exits the way he came in. Many years latter, Mickey had forgotten about the incident until the Shadow Blot comes into his house through a portal made of paint and thinner. This creature pulls Mickey into the model, or the world also known as the Wasteland.

The wasteland is a world filled with cartoons that have ended their series, forgotten by their creators and never to be known by the world again. The ruler of this land is Oswald the lucky rabbit, who was the first main character of Disney’s cartoons before Mickey replaced him.
When Mickey woke up, he was tied to an operating table and the Shadow Blot, along side with the mad doctor, try to take away Mickey’s heart. Mickey manages to escape the operating table and grabs what seems to be a normal paintbrush but what is actually the magician’s paintbrush that has magical powers inside this land.

Mickey needs to escape this wasteland, and to do so; he needs to repair all the damage done to the land since it was his fault for creating the Shadow Blot.

In the game play, you control Mickey from a third person point of view but you go along side of him through all the game. Your only weapon is the magic paintbrush; which allows you to use either paint (to restore any dame or recreate anything undone by thinner) or thinner (lets you dissolve most painted things). You also have to battle enemies made form the shadow blot. You can either dissolve them with thinner or make them your allies by filling them with paint. You have to work the same way with bosses. You can also use sketches like a TV to distract the enemies along with other things. One thing you have to keep in mind is that you don’t have unlimited paint and thinner. Fortunately you can find both along the adventure.

[how to battle enemies with thinner]

One curius thing that I love about the game is the way you travel trhoguh different escenarios. To go from one way to the other, you have to enter projectors wich have mini escenarios in a 2D gameplay of clasic cartoons like Steam Boat Willie.

[miniclip of mickey hicking the mountain with his firend....i cannot remember the name of this specific cartoon]

The graphics of this game are kind of shadowy, obscure (except for the ones in the procectors wich may be black and white or the ones the cartoon used to be in). Like Twilight princess, they made this because it goes with the theme of the place. The wasteland is a land filled with forgotten cartoons and a creepy blot ruling the place with disaster. It may not be HD but the graphics, in my opinion, are pretty much better than many other games.

Another thing to love about this place is the music. Not only is it awesome but also makes you feel inside the theme of the game (which is the main point of most games) and the re-created some classic theme and place them creepy like to characterize the place.
For example, a boss that very much represents the “is a small world after all” game in magic kingdom, uses the same music but it was changed to give you an idea of what has Mickey done to the place.

[Example of the song]

Comparison with an 9 year old kid- My little brother got stuck a year ago in the game and hasn’t touched it ever since but I can bet that if he ever touches that game again, he may advance a lot in it.

One thing that I like a lot about this game is that it is impossible to finish 100% in the first walkthrough. Why you may ask? While you play as Mickey, you have to make many decisions, and these decisions will affect some thing latter on the game. For example, you can get medals by accomplishing some thing like beating a boss, BUT the is one accomplishment for making the boss your friend and there is another one for erasing the boss. Things like that make it impossible to finish it.

Another thing is the quantity of side quests in the game.

The reason that I love this game for is that it represents the saying “never judge a game for its cover” ^_^ (wait….is that right?) anyways. Hope you enjoyed it and I hope you consider playinf this game.
Published by
Zombie Prosecutor
Mikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to Mikematute
Sponsored Links
By SuperGamecube64 on 06-27-2012, 02:58 PM
Try typing in MS word before putting it on NFF. I found numerous typos throughout the review. Good job, though.
By Mikematute on 06-27-2012, 11:44 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
95%95%95%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
95%95%95%
Average 96%
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGamecube64 View Post
Try typing in MS word before putting it on NFF. I found numerous typos throughout the review. Good job, though.
I actually do it in word :S. But unfortunatly im not american and It may find somehting different and confuse it...since it is a machine, it isnt always 100% accuarate...I had a proffessor who checked them for me but since im on vacation i have no one :s
By Konata on 06-28-2012, 03:43 AM
Nice review.
By Colorful CrAzYoNzZ on 06-28-2012, 01:21 PM
I really wanted to try this game, the whole paint thing interests me, since I like art so much. :3
By Mario on 06-28-2012, 03:28 PM
Wonder if they have any hidden Mickey's in the game. BTW good review.
By Mikematute on 06-29-2012, 04:20 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
95%95%95%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
95%95%95%
Average 96%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
Wonder if they have any hidden Mickey's in the game. BTW good review.
I cant remember actually...But I think there arent........Dont trust me, I havent checked into it. and thanks (the thanks go to the three before me)
By Spindle on 06-29-2012, 09:31 PM
I love this game did you hear about the sequel I hear its on all the consoles!
By Mikematute on 06-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
95%95%95%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
95%95%95%
Average 96%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
Indeed I did....Im really curius about it.
By Elwood Silverstone on 07-01-2012, 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
OH, SILLY! There are two sequels! One for all the consoles, and one for the GBA!
Comment