Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo DS Reviews

Notices

Nintendo DS Reviews Section for all Nintendo DS and DSI Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - Review
The A Great Sea Adventure....
Published by marvman3
08-19-2008
Author review
Graphics
85%85%85%
Storyline
90%90%90%
Controls/Gameplay
90%90%90%
Sound
90%90%90%
Average 89%

Legend of Zelda has been one of the most well respected video game franchises in history.
When it all started with The Legend Of Zelda,
people around the world went on a adventure to save a princess from evil.
Over time, new platforms come and go, but the one thing that stays true is Zelda.
And that truth isn't more awesome then in The Phantom Hourglass!
So strap on your Sea Legs!!

Legend of Zelda:
Phantom Hour Glass

Introduction

This particular Zelda game is taking place directly after Wind Waker with Link and Tetra(Zelda) on their pirate ship. They soon encounter the Ghost Ship. This Ghost ship is claimed to have taken countless sailors and people. Tetra in good nature, decides that she is going to investigate this ship but disappears while aboard! And so your off to find the Ghost ship and rescue Zelda yet again. Sadly, nothing very heart wrenching or amazingly surprising. Just same old "save zelda from evil" thing going that almost all zelda games suffer from. So don't expect to much from story here.

Now the main thing about this game is that its on the Nintendo DS system. All you need for this game is the stylus and nothing else. You tap to use your freakn A sword, bombs and most everything else. Its pretty easy to see that Nintendo dumbed things down a bit to draw in more casual gamers. This to me is a punch in the face. Marvman doesn't approve what Nintendo is doing with its great series and dumbing them down. But on the other hand it doesn't kill the game.

Graphics

The Game on the DS is simply amazing. The 3D graphics are great in game aswell in the cut scenes. Smoke effects are just as nice as in Wind waker. Some textures up close do suffer from being nasty and repetitive. But this is a hand held and taking that into consideration, this game is amazing graphically/visually.

Gameplay

Gameplay in this current Zelda title go back to the old Zelda roots. Instead of being a kind of 3rd person game, it goes back to more of the top down view (like in Link to the Past, and so on). This is great for the DS and what the controls are trying to do. Basically you move the stylus to where you want to go. It takes a while to get used to and i had trouble jumping from ledge to ledge, but you'll get used to it. Overall Marvman would say this game is alot more like Link to the Past and The Original Zeldas dungeon wise. But it still has some aspects from recenter games... Find item, unlock new area, so on....Just like in wind waker, you get a boat. But instead of going manually, you plot your course and then just let it go. This may seem boring, but there are PLENTY of enemies out in the wide open sea to bomb.

There where some things that did bug him gameplay wise....
The bosses where way to easy. Marvman thought the final boss was almost as hard as the first one! And not only are the bosses really easy, the game overall is just simple and not challenging like some other Zelda games. Marvman didn't get stuck once! But in Ocarina of Time he got stuck, died or just didn't know where to go sometimes! Marvman almost enjoyed being frustrated at that game then being bored out of his Freakn A skull with this game. And why did Nintendo feel that they have to make the player scream into the mike every so often to blow out a fire or open a door? Marvman may be over exasperating back there but you get the point. He still did have alot of fun with this game its just not the challenge that the Zelda series needs to get starting.

Sounds

The games sounds are great. Everything you would want with classic themes, new themes and great sound effects for bombs and so on. But Marvman would highly recommend getting some head phones for this game (he uses headphones all the time, even online). The DS's little speakers just can't handle a bomb, music and swords at the same time. Overall, classic tunes, and mood.

Graphics: 8.6 - It might be hard to believe that Nintendo would be able to shrink down a game as gorgeous-looking as The Wind Waker, but that's just what it has done here for the DS. Great graphics on the DS.

Storyline/WiFi: 8.7 - Phantom Hourglass' main quest is a deeply engaging adventure that gives you plenty to do throughout. You can probably finish the quest in about 14-15 hours. Nothing new or interesting really, but same old Zelda stuff we love, continuing Toon Link's adventure with Tetra and Lineback. The Mulitplayer is solid. If you ever played Pac-Man vs. on the GameCube (or, more recently, on the DS in Namco Museum DS), this mode might seem slightly familiar to you.

Controls/Gameplay: 8.8 - They're okay but its awful how dumbed down they are. Although saying that, the touch-screen controls work wonderfully. Way too easy but still good just because its Zelda title.

Music/Sounds: 8.9 - Great music and sound. The soundtrack isn't exactly the most memorable of all Zelda scores, but there are plenty of familiar-sounding tunes to accompany each sequence that fans are sure to appreciate. Get headphones though.

Overall Rating: 8.8. - A superb effort and pretty much what you would want from a first entry in the series on the DS. It's got a few pacing problems, and those who demand traditional control schemes will probably be turned off by this game's control methodology. But really, even if you're convinced you hate the notion of touch-screen controls, you owe it to yourself to give this game a try. Simply put, Very Freakn A GOOD!

A Legendary Quest Continues Beyond The Sea.....

Rockn.
Published by
Rockn Dude
marvman3 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvman3 has a spectacular aura about
Sponsored Links
By Cloud7 on 08-19-2008, 08:21 AM
Nice review Marvman!
By ssxxdragonssxx on 09-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Great review. I got this game a couple weeks ago (for FREE). I really enjoy playing it. It is a great game.
By Keyman4 on 10-17-2008, 06:41 PM
I got this game on my birthday and it's super cool! But the ending is messed up! Why? View for yourself!
By awdio on 11-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Great review. I haven't even played Wind Waker yet - but I'm definitely a huge Zelda fan otherwise! Can't wait to get this after I beat Wind Waker.
By Trouble on 11-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Awesome review, and I really couldn't agree more. It was far too easy, never got stuck once, and I beat it rather quickly. It was fun to customize the ship and get different parts though.

I found that the sound was really nice on the original DS, not so sure about the lite though, maybe not as good on that.
By Doopliss on 11-02-2008, 12:47 PM
I honestly didn't think this game lived up to the bar Windwaker set. And it didn't scare me as much, lol!
By madsadman2 on 11-03-2008, 08:31 AM
I love this game. But, I wish I could still get 20 power gems. That would be so cool. Pretty much I liked it but wasnt long enough.
By Skreamo on 11-03-2008, 11:41 AM
I love this game so much! I passed it within 48 hours of getting it! It rocks
By Mimi on 11-04-2008, 05:01 PM
Niice Review Marv! Im Still Stuck in a Temple.. GrRRrr.. XD
Comment