Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Media Entertainment

Notices

Media Entertainment Discuss Movies, Music, TV, Books, Comics and anything related to Media Entertainment.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
Brandyn
The Man
Points: 53,280, Level: 100 Points: 53,280, Level: 100 Points: 53,280, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

My Mood: Cool
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 15

Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 3282-3036-3021 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: Brandyn_Johnson
The Avengers vs. The Dark Knight Rises--Superhero flick of the year?

So I recently just got around to seeing The Avengers on DVD. I did not get the chance to see it when it was in theatres because that was the end of my senior year and I was busy with things. I saw the Dark Knight Rises in theatres shortly after its release this past summer. Both were highly anticipated superhero flicks. Which did you like the most for superhero film of the year?

My two cents:

I will compare them in each major category.

Story: The Dark Knight Rises

This one I sort of have to give Batman by default. The plot of the Avengers is very stock, especially for a superhero movie. The good guys and the bad guys are locked in a struggle over an artifact of unimaginable power. However, did you really go to the Avengers for the story? Not really. You went to fangasm at all the heroes of the Marvel Cinematic Universe in the same movie, along with the action. That's why I think it was a great choice the movie made to not take itself too seriously. As for the Dark Knight Rises, while I suppose I have to give it this point, the story is more or less a rehash of Batman Begins. Just with Bane instead of Ra's Al Ghul and with Catwoman thrown into the mix. There were also admittedly a couple of plotholes that go beyond suspension of disbelief.

Action/Fight Scenes: The Avengers

TDKR has its moments to be sure, and while its fight scenes are better choreographed, there is literally never a dull moment in The Avengers. It is packed from beginning to end with non-stop action which in a summer superhero blockbuster is really all you want. To be fair, Nolan's Batman does pride itself on being much more sophisticated than other superhero films which is what sets it apart, and I very much like and respect that. The Dark Knight trilogy is about more than just mindless fight scenes and triumphantly beating down the villain. They're basically crime dramas that happen to feature Batman characters, and again I really love this style. While the Dark Knight Rises had some great action scenes such as Bane's introduction scene and the Batman vs. Bane fight in the sewers, seeing matchups like Iron Man vs Thor and Thor vs. Hulk in the Avengers, as well as seeing them fighting side by side all over the city at the end was just incredible fun.

Hero(es): The Avengers

I really like Christian Bale's Batman. Even more so than Keaton's to be honest. However the Avengers just had wonderful chemistry on screen, especially Robert Downey Jr. who just stole the show with his portrayal of Tony Stark/Iron Man. I think he blended especially well with Chris Evans' Captain America. The rest of the cast did impeccable jobs too. At first I was wondering why Bruce Banner was recast from Edward Norton who played him in The Hulk '08, but I found myself charmed by Mark Ruffalo's lighthearted portrayal of him here in Avengers. Again, the Avengers all had amazing on screen chemistry and you could tell that the cast were really having fun and enjoying themselves. Going back to Dark Knight Rises, Anne Hathaway played a good Catwoman in my opinion (yes for the purposes of this I'm counting her as more of a heroine). For some reason though, I just didn't sense much chemistry between her and Bale's Batman it felt a bit forced to me.

Villain: The Dark Knight Rises

Loki was entertaining and all, but this one simply goes to Bane. Again, the Avengers made the wise choice to not take itself too seriously so Loki was a pretty chill and lighthearted villain overall, at least in this movie (I didn't see the Thor movie and I don't know if he was in it or not and how he was in that if so). Bane however was truly terrifying and a great follow up to Heath Ledger's Joker. It's a shame people are so hung up on Ledger's Joker though, I feel like they had already decided before seeing the movie that Bane would not be as entertaining as the Joker but I like Bane more. He was a great villain in his own right and seeing it in the theatre I honestly cringed and felt uncomfortable for the other characters every time he was on screen, a sign of a convincing bad guy. Tom Hardy gave an unforgettable performance in the role (and I absolutely LOVED the voice). My favorite line of 2012 for some reason is "Crashing this plane.....with no survivors!"

Overall:

I loved and thoroughly enjoyed both films, but overall, I think for once I have to give it to the Marvel movie over Batman. If only because I dislike DC Comics' new logo. Just kidding, but The Avengers was just a thrill ride from beginning to end and I imagine it would have been even better in theatres. Dark Knight Rises was a great film however (though truth be told, Batman Begins remains my favorite of Nolan's trilogy), and you could tell they really, really put genuine effort into making it an exciting follow up to the Dark Knight, which is acclaimed by fans and critics alike as perhaps being the best superhero film of all time (though I can't help but wonder if they would be putting it on that kind of pedestal if Heath Ledger had not died).

What think you?

Nintendo/PlayStation Network ID: Brandyn_Johnson

Currently Playing:

Super Street fighter IV: AE
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Brandyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 34,723, Level: 100 Points: 34,723, Level: 100 Points: 34,723, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award NFF's 4th Annual Award 
Total Awards: 12

I only saw The Dark Knight Rises out of the two, and I didn't really think the story was great. It felt pretty average really. My friend who's a big Batman fan told me it's probably because I don't really like Batman and couldn't enjoy it as much as someone who does, so that may be it. But yeah. Considering you said The Avengers didn't really have a great story, I'll go against it.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
FrozenPhoenix96
Show me your power!!
Points: 1,944, Level: 26 Points: 1,944, Level: 26 Points: 1,944, Level: 26
User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Bomb User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Bob-omb User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x SNES Controller
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Nunchuck User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Chao

FrozenPhoenix96 has a spectacular aura aboutFrozenPhoenix96 has a spectacular aura aboutFrozenPhoenix96 has a spectacular aura about

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF's 4th Annual Award Welcome Wagon 
Total Awards: 2

Send a message via Skype™ to FrozenPhoenix96
I don't saw both, but I heard a lot about both.

3DS FC: 4656-6673-5632
FrozenPhoenix96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
Brandyn
The Man
Points: 53,280, Level: 100 Points: 53,280, Level: 100 Points: 53,280, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword

Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month Level 100 Award 

Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 3282-3036-3021 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: Brandyn_Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konata View Post
I only saw The Dark Knight Rises out of the two, and I didn't really think the story was great. It felt pretty average really. My friend who's a big Batman fan told me it's probably because I don't really like Batman and couldn't enjoy it as much as someone who does, so that may be it. But yeah. Considering you said The Avengers didn't really have a great story, I'll go against it.
Well I didn't really mean to come off as saying the Dark Knight Rises had an amazing story, just that it had more of one than the Avengers (I admitted it was more or less a rehash of the story from Batman Begins). I mean neither movie was really supposed to have the story as its main draw anyway it's just the Dark Knight Rises plot was less...stock. Don't get me wrong the other forumites will tell you how big a Batman fan I am, I just had to give this it to the Avengers in my opinion as superhero flick of 2012. I like both Marvel and DC though.

Currently Playing:

Old 10-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 19,705, Level: 88 Points: 19,705, Level: 88 Points: 19,705, Level: 88
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

I'm going to go with the Avengers, while TDKR was a epic conclusion to Nolan's Trilogy(Plus Anne Hatheway's Catwoman was hotter compared to Johanson's Black Widow), I think The Avengers had a lot more hype going for it, considering the line of strong movies leading up to it and being the first theatrical release of the Avengers(at least as far as I know), which more than lived up to it imo.

That and Robert Downey Jr's Iron Man is always awesome

The real challenge though will be when DC finally releases that Justice League Movie

Megas75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
Brandyn
The Man

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megas75 View Post
The real challenge though will be when DC finally releases that Justice League Movie
I heard that they are going to try to have that released by '14 (of course DC can't let Marvel get away with that). I feel like the only way it would be super successful with the general movie-going audience is if they were to do what Marvel did and have individual movies set in the same universe that lead to a crossover. Excluding Batman, DC hasn't exactly been on a roll lately with its live action films, with Superman Returns getting lukewarm reception at best and the Green Lantern being pretty much universally blasted by fans and critics alike. Not to mention I don't believe we even have live action films for Wonder Woman, Aquaman, or Martian Manhunter. If Justice League does see a release sometime within the next two years I get the feeling the final product will be a rushed and sloppy mess that will probably flop at the box office and set Marvel that much further ahead of DC.

Currently Playing:

Old 10-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
Killua
Property Of Nicci
Points: 947, Level: 16 Points: 947, Level: 16 Points: 947, Level: 16
User owns 1x Four Sword User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Red Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Ruby User owns 1x Master Ball
User owns 1x Yellow Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Shuriken User owns 1x Mega Man

My Mood: Spaced
Killua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF's 4th Annual Award Poster 
Total Awards: 3

Batman is by far my favorite superhero, but to be honest The Avengers (In my opinion) was much better then TDKR.

Both are fantastic films and if you haven't seen one or the other you should definitely go and check them out.
It must be the drugs that got us doing this crazy shit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Fuentes View Post
Iíve been having this dream that we can fly, so maybe if we never wake up we can see the sky.
Killua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 19,705, Level: 88 Points: 19,705, Level: 88 Points: 19,705, Level: 88
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameBoy View Post
I heard that they are going to try to have that released by '14 (of course DC can't let Marvel get away with that). I feel like the only way it would be super successful with the general movie-going audience is if they were to do what Marvel did and have individual movies set in the same universe that lead to a crossover. Excluding Batman, DC hasn't exactly been on a roll lately with its live action films, with Superman Returns getting lukewarm reception at best and the Green Lantern being pretty much universally blasted by fans and critics alike. Not to mention I don't believe we even have live action films for Wonder Woman, Aquaman, or Martian Manhunter. If Justice League does see a release sometime within the next two years I get the feeling the final product will be a rushed and sloppy mess that will probably flop at the box office and set Marvel that much further ahead of DC.
a 76% on RT is lukewarm?

Megas75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #9
Brandyn
The Man

Awards Showcase

Oh, I didn't check that score but I mean most people I ask and most opinions on Returns I read call it nothing more than "okay" at best (I mean I personally liked it but that seems to be the general opinion of it).

So rumor has it JLA is set for 2015 actually, which still might be a bit too soon but they're really in a hurry to get it out there and with no introduction movies to the more obscure JLA members...I can't help but smell a flop.

Currently Playing:

Old 10-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #10
Lucario8D
The True Warrior
Points: 67, Level: 1 Points: 67, Level: 1 Points: 67, Level: 1
User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

My Mood: Bored
Lucario8D is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to say The Dark Knight Rises on this one.

The Dark Knight Rises
Pros:
  1. Batman was badass overall
  2. If you're a DC fan,this is a win
  3. Action,always kept you watching
  4. Bane always had an EPIC appearence,
  5. Batman has no super-powers,so thats why in some cases,its realistic.
Cons
  1. Other villans didn't appear,other than Catwoman and Two-Face
  2. Why you so serious,Bane?

The Avengers
Pros
  1. This had action and it kept me watching
  2. The Hulk was epic in this movie
  3. Comedy,some quotes from the team made me laugh
  4. This movie had my favorite characters like Iron Man,Captain America,Hulk and Thor.
Cons
  1. Some people just knew few heros,not the whole team (never actually got into Marvel,thus,less fans.
  2. Most of them have superpowers,so it wouldn't be realistic
  3. Different worlds,some geeks would get into is

So,I like Batman better.

Spoiler
He didn't die
Lucario8D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batman, dark knight rises, dc comics, the avengers, `marvel