Member Articles Members Articles

Closed Article

Article Tools
Top 10 Creepiest Nintendo Characters
Published by SuperGamecube64
10-18-2012

Nintendo is kinda like Disney, but less evil. The biggest draw is the characters. We grew up with them, and hold most of them very dear. Link, Mario, Samus...we'll never forget our adventures with them. But in our reminiscing, perhaps we occasionally overlook some of the more freaky adversaries they have faced. In honor of Halloween, let's take a look at what are some of Nintendo's creepiest characters. And no, I don't mean Waluigi.

02(Zero Squared) is the final boss of Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards, and is the undead form of Zero, the final boss of Kirby's Dreamland 3. Now, Kirby is a series consisting a cute rolly poly critters, including hamsters, cats, waddle dees, and Kirby himself. Many of the games are animated to look like they are drawn with crayons, and everything from flowers to cacti have huge chibi smiles. So in the world was Nintendo smoking when they came up with this guy? 02 is a giant, bleeding, severed undead eyeball with a halo and wings made of what appear to be blood vessels. From what is intended as a children's game, that's pretty messed up.

9. SA-X
In Metroid Fusion, Samus faced one of her most incredibly powerful foes to date...eventually. You see, most of the game was spent running in terror of this being. SA-X was the result of the X virus, a mysterious parasitic life form that takes over host bodies, infecting Samus' suit. The infected portion of her suit were surgically removed, as they had become fused with her body. Once removed, they were sent to a biological space laboratory for analysis...and that's where it all went wrong. See, they should have just sent it into space so it could die in the vacuum, but no, they had to study it! The X virus used the parts of the power suit it had infected to recreate Samus, only faster, stronger, and ruthless. What made SA-X so scary was that whenever it was around. You could do nothing but flee and hide. If she saw you, it was all over. Until you reach a very specific part of the game, attempting to face her is akin to suicide. SA-X turned Fusion into a Survival Horror, and the atmosphere wouldn't have been nearly as tense without her.

8.Wallmaster
Wallmasters are giant, severed hands in the Zelda series that drop down upon Link and throw him back into the first room. They first appeared in A Link to the Past, but they were especially gruesome in Ocarina of Time and Majora's mask. Everything from their grotesque appearance to the eery noise when they lower themselves upon you, to the disgustingly squishy noise they make as they are cut is disturbing. When you're in the same room as a Wallmaster, you try to kill them ASAP or just get the heck out of there - not because of their threat, but because they are just so unnerving. It's worth mentioning that they bear resemblance to Ongo Bongo's hands, a boss from Ocarina of Time.

7. Mad Piano
While not all that scary in appearance, the Mad Piano will easily make Mario 64 newcomers wake everyone in the house. Located in Boo's Mansion, the Mad Piano appears to be a regular old grand piano...until you get close. It chases Mario around the tiny cramped room, snapping at him with its lid filled with razor sharp teeth and making loud banging noises and sounds as if a child is banging upon its keys. It's worth mentioning that in German, it is called "Vampiano".

6. Them
In The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, mysterious ghost like aliens invade the Romani Ranch to abduct the cows. Referred to only as "Them", these beings from the unknown feature see through bodies and eyes that shine beams of light. The only thing that can hurt them is an arrow, for some reason. ou can walk right through them, bomb blasts are useless, and your sword goes through them like air. What makes them creep is the unknown. What are they? Where are they from? We'll probably never know.

5. Dead Hand
Another creepy enemy from the Zelda series is Deadhand. Located in the bottom of the Kakriko well (which is perfectly creepy on its own), Deadhand is a strange, animated blob of bloody flesh complete with gaping expressionless face and tentacles that come out of the floor and grab Link. He must be defeated to acquire the lens of Truth. If poor Link is ensnared by his tentacles, he can do nothing but squirm and grunt as it wiggles towards him, staring him down with his cold black eyes.

4. The Moon
Man, Zelda is chock full of creep weirdos...I never really noticed until I made this list. The Moon is simply Termina's moon possessed by the evil within Majora's Mask. It threatens to destroy the entire land in 72 hours (3 days) and consistently gets closer and closer to Termina as time goes on, staring down at the inhabitants with a mocking grin. Face it, if there was a moon outside grinning threatening verbally to eat you, you'd stay the hell inside. It's only line of dialogue in the whole game is "I...I shall consume. Consume...consume everything."

3. Redead
This is the last thing from Zelda, I swear. First appearing in Ocarina of Time, Redeads are the reanimated corpses of Hyrule's previous inhabitants brought to life by Ganon's evil. Redeads cannot be killed, only temporarily disabled. The resemble emaciated, naked human bodies that have partially decayed. The worst part is their method of attack. If they scream at you with their mournful echoing screech, you will become paralyzed with fear, literally. The only thing you can do is stand there, terrified, as they stagger towards you, each step bringing them closer to devouring your soul. Besides, what's more central to horror than Zombies?

2. Mantorok
Mantorok, "The Corpse God", much like Deadhand, is a living mass of flesh. He is covered with many monstrous eyes and features a large, central mouth lined with spiny teeth similar to the Sarlacc from StarWars. He is the main antagonist of Eternal Darkness, a game I'm still shocked Nintendo had anything to do with. Play this game alone at night with the lights off in an isolated room. No caffeine require, you won't be doing an sleeping.

1. Giygas
Giygas is a living embodiment of the pure essence of destruction, and evil itself. If you want to get really technical, Giygas is the Devil. Satan. The literal prince of evilthat many of us actually believe in, or at least a representation of such.Giygas is the antagonist of EarthBound (Mother 2). He deceives Ness' neighbor, Pokey, into becoming his pawn. Giygas is so powerful, that his evil does more than kill - it wipes. You will be obliterated, and literally no longer exist in any form. In EarthBound, Gigas has become immensely influential, and this influence is seen throughout Ness' world, corrupting the minds of all living creatures. He is fought by traveling to the past and being fought in his fetal form inside the very machine that served as his "womb". What makes Giygas so scary isn't just his power. He is not influenced by evil intentions, he IS the evil that influences.

And there you have what I think are the 10 creepiest Nintendo characters. What are some of yours that I may have missed? Happy Halloween!
Published by
Futtbuck Bro no.1
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64

Article Tools
Sponsored Links
By Megas75 on 10-18-2012, 04:57 PM
Which did you miss?

The happy Mask Salesman comes to mind, though that creepypasta sorta helps
By Konata on 10-18-2012, 04:58 PM
The salesman is scary as hell. I agree with the redeads & dead hands though.
By FrozenPhoenix96 on 10-18-2012, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konata View Post
I agree with Konata.
By FrozenPhoenix96 on 10-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Good top 10 by the way.
By Tanis on 10-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Where is Birdo?
By FrozenPhoenix96 on 10-18-2012, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanis View Post
where is birdo?
lol! XD
By Mikematute on 10-18-2012, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konata View Post

angry salesman is angry beacuse you didnt include him...
YOU FORGOT THE DEADLIEST OF ALL
Spoiler

Something that I liked is that about is that 50% of the ten are from Zelda.
I shall do my top 10 most horrible places...But i think some of you may disagree about them so I will maybe only do it from zelda...
By AlloftheAbove on 10-18-2012, 08:24 PM
Very glad that fetus Giygas made it in the list.
By Rai17 on 10-19-2012, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlloftheAbove View Post
Very glad that fetus Giygas made it in the list.
I'm so glad Gyigas is first. I have nightmares about that thing...
How the idea was conceived is even more disturbing..
Closed Article