Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > General Nintendo Section

Notices

General Nintendo Section All general Nintendo content here.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
Cam3ron36@NFF
NHL Fanatic
Points: 31,510, Level: 100 Points: 31,510, Level: 100 Points: 31,510, Level: 100
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 3x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Bullet Bill User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Fighter

My Mood: Gaming
Cam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud of

Awards Showcase
Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award Royalty Monster Poster Review of the Month Review of the Month Poster Game Reviewer 
Total Awards: 8

Send a message via Skype™ to Cam3ron36@NFF Xbox Live Gamertag: cam3ron36
Cam's Top Mario Kart Games (Part 1)

Figured I'd bring back my "top 10" type lists, just for fun, and to post more.

What I have to kick it all off is my top Mario Kart games. Top 7. How can they not all make the list? :P and yes, I have played them all.

The later in the post the games rank, the more I like them. Remember, I do like them all though.

First off (Just a note this one is likely a longer read than others):
Spoiler

Yes, this is indeed my least favourite installment into the series, and while that may drive some crazy for whatever reason, I'm certain we can all agree that it's not the best, no?

This is not to say I don't enjoy the game, but let me start off with the bad news first.

While Mario Kart Wii May have a lot to offer that's new, fresh and exciting (like bikes, but we'll get to that later). It's flaws hold it back, and no, I'm not talking about the fact that online was destroyed by hackers, that's kind of not a legitimate factor. I'm talking about the oh-so-apparent rubber band physics this game seems to have. Don't know what Rubber band physics are? (probably not, more of my own term). Basically the game gives a handicap more-so to people in last, or further in the rankings. Now some other Mario Kart games do this, perhaps all of them, and it can be ok to an extent, but the balance was thrown off in this game. My biggest problem was how whoever got in first place fast, and almost just stayed there because everyone else was caught in what I like to call the "Suction effect" with items, while first place only really got hit with a blue shell here and there. I'm aware that what I just said contradicts itself in a sense, but that's the thing, this game can be so random in how it goes. Blue shells spawn WAY MORE than they did in other games at the same time. That can be annoying, it really takes away a lot of (but not all) of the pure skill challenge in my opinion.

What's a big reason I think the balance was thrown off in this game? 12 Racers frankly. Think about it, 4 extra people in last, 4 more people than normal that can get blue shells, pow blocks, lightning bolts. It just became a little too chaotic for my liking.

To summarize my dislikes, it came down to 2 major flaws, over-use of rubber band physics, and 12 racers equals too much item chaos. Not to mention the fact I really never liked the lightning cloud or the pow block additions.

Onto the positives, I enjoyed the abundance of characters, addition of bikes, and the imaginative tracks. Alongside a solid battle mode

There's not really too much to explain in the positive remarks, since I felt the need to defend my standpoint on the negatives. So let's start with the bikes. Their bikes instead of karts. Mini-bikes more like, but they are pretty cool. They really are just more vehicles though, but that can't hurt. They can do wheelies, that's about all that's different, but they look cool, and I'll say again; more vehicles!

The track designs can be listed among some of the most imaginative, easily. Well, each game has cool tracks, but this is no exception. Among some of my favourites are Maple Raceway, Toad's Factory, Mushroom Gorge, and especially Koopa Cape. I do have to say that the Retro course lineup in this one is a bit weak in choice however, still fun, but there was a lot of times, times I felt they could have gone with a better track, although there are a few great ones in the mix.

Last but not least is the Battle mode, all I have to say, is done dnag near perfect! Loved it.

That one was a big read, almost counts as a review maybe, minus the editing. Ones from now on should be shorter hopefully, but I'm doing this as I go, so I don't really know.

Anyways, next up, beating the last one!
Spoiler

Mario Kart Super Circuit. I'll be honest here, I have played this one the least, so I apologize in advance for anything I may have off slightly. That said, I have played every track, and seen the whole game at least once.

Now it seems to me that each Mario Kart game seems to control differently in its own way. Some exceptions obviously, this game controls very similarly to Super Mario Kart, and in my mind is the spiritual successor to Super Mario Kart in a way. Not to mention it contains Super Mario Karts tracks as an unlockable, which is pretty cool.

Now this game was extremely fun, I think it may rank higher on my list one day once I play it more. It's also one of the most challenging games in the series just because of it's controls. Like any of the games, it's easier once you get the hang of the controls, the learning curve may just be longer on this one.

I'd still love this game were it just Super Circuit tracks, and I'll be honest when I say I thought Mario Kart DS was the first to do the Retro Cup thing, at least until I played Super Circuit Last year on 3ds (yay ambassador!) how wrong was I?

I don't really have too much to say on this one, especially in regards to flaws. My only concern is that the multiplayer is almost gone. It's there, yeah, but it's one of those annoying situations where you need two people with a physical copy of the game, and a link cable. Not worth it. I'll just pop in one of the console games, and play with 3 other friends. Always the simpler solution.

Overall, a great game however.

Next Best on the list of Best-i-ness:

Spoiler

Oh boy, if I didn't already get razzed for ranking Mario Kart Wii last on the list, this one will be... yeah haha. You know what, my list though, and keep in mind I enjoy all the games, so do not fret boys and girls.

Now, Mario Kart DS. A Fantastic masterpiece in Kart Racing awesomeness. It was the first time we could experience a legitimately 3d mario kart on a handheld... err... I don't mean super 3d like Mario Kart 7... You know what? First time we experienced a fully polygonal Mario Kart on a handheld, happy? :P

I know this one is what most people consider to be the absolute best Mario Kart there is to be had, but I just don't rank it that highly. I'm not denying its greatness at all, it is a fantastic game, no doubt about it.

First off Mario Kart DS offers us a plethora of new tracks and especially vehicles. So many vehicles to choose from, it's sickening... Sickeningly awesome! Many unlockables, and a story... mode... Yeah, could care less about story mode personally. You Race! You Win! End of Story! Anyways, alongside 4 all new cups, the DS mixes up the previous lineup of games from past installments in 4 more retro cups. This was a very high selling point for me. Genious idea, simply put.

Not too much bad to say about this game, except 2 minor things. First off is the selection of Retro courses, now I realize I shouldn't really complain about this too much since Nintendo really didn't have to make the retro cups, but I think certain courses were just kind of the really basic tracks of previous installments. I can understand this however since the retro cup was new. I do enjoy the courses involved at the same time, don't get me wrong on that. But GCN Luigi Circuit is pretty basic, just saying. Still fun though, so whatever. Not much of a complaint at all really.

Second complaint is again on multiplayer. It trumps Super Circuit because of the online, but still. Me + 3 friends on a console version is better in my opinion. To do that, that again requires more than one physical copy for each of us, not worth it, thanks.

Some of my favourite tracks include Tick Tock Clock, Airship Fortress, and Rainbow Road, along with some awesome classics like Choco Mountain.

Oh, one last thing. Mario Kart DS seems to be the only game to have gotten Vs. just right. So much customization, more choices than just this cup only, that cup only, or time trials. You can choose Random tracks out of all of them, choose each track, and just race until you're bored, or set a win limit. It even allowed teams. Why did none of the other games make this?

Lastly for today, my fourth favourite game in the franchise:
Spoiler

Let's Get some Classic up in here... Yeah, let's not talk like that.

Super Mario Kart. I'm aware I may hold some bias to this because, hey, first game I played. Oh well, my list, I rank it here.

Super Mario Kart. So classic, but not just classic, also just a good time every time I pick it up.

Like Super Mario Circuit however, the control in this game strays very far away from the rest, or I guess the sequels all stray far away from the original. Once you get the hang of the control though, it really is a fantastic installment.

Super Mario Kart offered a lot of surprise in the sense that it was the first game, no one really knew that you had to beat the Star cup on 100cc to unlock the Special Cup, of course it became pretty obvious that was necessary by the time Double dash swung around. It already felt like a complete game with a good amount of tracks without the special cup, but who can complain about more tracks? I sure can't! By the time Rainbow Road came around, it was so Surreal. Do I need to mention here, holy crap! The difficulty! The control in Super Mario kart was very drifty, even when you didn't drift, so it actually required braking unlike most installments. Rainbow Road had no walls, but my god, what a good level, and listen to that music:

Not to mention, look at that track, that flat, almost basic track was the final track in the game, isn't it amazing how such basic flat tracks can be better than some of today's 3d tracks jsut because of the quality of gameplay? I know I've said it a lot in the past, but graphics aren't everything people

Nothing to complain about for this one, nothing worth mentioning.

Battle mode is the last thing I have to talk about, it was so much fun in this game, I remember playing with my brother all the time. This was a mode where it was super awesome to get the feather, especially on the beach level you could jump in the pools to save yourself from your friend, or siblings. Definitely a well rounded battle mode, and I have to say I miss these early games where green shells kept bouncing until they hit something, it really raised the stakes as the game went on.

That's it for now guys. 3 Games left to include at a later date. Which one's my favourite? Mario Kart 7, Double Dash, or 64? I'll keep ya guessing for a while. :P For now, you can look at my top 7-4 of this great series.

Enjoy!

Part 2 out now: http://www.nintendofanforum.com/show...020#post194020

Last edited by Cam3ron36@NFF; 10-21-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Cam3ron36@NFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 23,195, Level: 93 Points: 23,195, Level: 93 Points: 23,195, Level: 93
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

WiiU ID: Megas75
I'm calling Double Dash

Though I wouldn't be surprised if it was 64
Old 10-20-2012, 04:51 AM   #3
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 37,665, Level: 100 Points: 37,665, Level: 100 Points: 37,665, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 
Total Awards: 13

I'm surprised how 7 even made it into the top 3 considering it's just drive forwards and hope you get lucky.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
Cam3ron36@NFF
NHL Fanatic
Points: 31,510, Level: 100 Points: 31,510, Level: 100 Points: 31,510, Level: 100
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 3x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Bullet Bill User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Fighter

Cam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud of

Awards Showcase
Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award Royalty Monster Poster Review of the Month Review of the Month Poster Game Reviewer 

Quote:
I'm surprised how 7 even made it into the top 3 considering it's just drive forwards and hope you get lucky.
I definitely didn't notice that when playing it. Won't say much now, but I thought a lot of things were fixed in the installment, especially luck factor.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
FrozenPhoenix96
Show me your power!!
Points: 1,790, Level: 24 Points: 1,790, Level: 24 Points: 1,790, Level: 24
User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Bomb User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Bob-omb User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x SNES Controller
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Nunchuck User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Chao

FrozenPhoenix96 has a spectacular aura aboutFrozenPhoenix96 has a spectacular aura aboutFrozenPhoenix96 has a spectacular aura about

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF's 4th Annual Award Welcome Wagon 
Total Awards: 2

Send a message via Skype™ to FrozenPhoenix96
Mario Kart Wii is the best Mario Kart at my opinion.

3DS FC: 4656-6673-5632
FrozenPhoenix96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 57,726, Level: 100 Points: 57,726, Level: 100 Points: 57,726, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 15

Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 3282-3036-3021 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: Brandyn_Johnson
I miss Mario Kart DS very much.

And yes Mario Kart Wii's rubber band AI/physics are kind of ridiculous.

Ultra Street Fighter IV mains: Gen, Dudley, Ryu
Tekken Revolution mains: Steve Fox, Kazuya
Tekken 6 mains: Steve Fox, Jin, Hwoarang
King of Fighters XIII team: Ryo/Kim Kaphwan/Joe
Brandyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 37,665, Level: 100 Points: 37,665, Level: 100 Points: 37,665, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 
Total Awards: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam3ron36@NFF View Post
I definitely didn't notice that when playing it. Won't say much now, but I thought a lot of things were fixed in the installment, especially luck factor.
Ah okay. I'm expecting Double Dash to be 1st anyway.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #8
Cam3ron36@NFF
NHL Fanatic

Awards Showcase

Any thoughts on how long I should leave it until part 2? Not today, my eyes hurt a lot by the end of writing this yesterday. Eyes already hurt a lot today from trying to read friggin text on a non hd 360 for nhl 12 today.