Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Gaming News

Notices

Gaming News Gaming News around the world.

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 24,234, Level: 94 Points: 24,234, Level: 94 Points: 24,234, Level: 94
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

WiiU ID: Megas75
Are IGN's reviews paid for?

Quote:
Former IGN Employee Admits Review Scores Are Skewed Due to Public Relations and The Almighty Dollar
10. October 2012 by Nathanial Rumphol-Janc
Let me start off this breaking news report by mentioning that IGN is not the only review site or publication that does this, and it’s actually a rather sad, but common, occurrence across the industry. IGN is mentioned specifically so as to make clear how deep this runs, and how serious of an issue this really is. This is not an indictment against IGN, nor are we any less trust worthy of them for doing this. However, this is a harsh reality of the industry and something we have been fortunate enough to have not run into for ourselves yet.

The story goes as this: IGN, among several other publications, alter review scores, alter editorial pieces, based on who is paying the bills. Essentially in order to continue to get review copies of games, to get certain publishers to advertise on your site, things get altered to appear more favorable for certain games. This is not true of every game reviewed or talked about, and it’s hard to point to any specific examples, but ZI just received exclusive confirmation that this happens all the time.

According to a former IGN employee, who will remain anonymous for obvious reasons:

The truth is that marketing and PR and readers have a major influence on reviews. I can tell you that just about every preview and review you read spouts out a lot of marketing’s message. Journalists don’t get it, see it, realize it, or accept it. But that is the truth
Fact remains that this is something we have all suspected for some time. In fact, we know some sites have literally taken money directly for writing a positive review. In IGN, and other similar site’s defense, they are rarely paid directly for the review itself. Rather, the money, one can assume, is all related to marketing and public relations. The big money makers for any website that posts news. All of our income is produced off of similar methods, where companies come to our ad agency and offer certain amounts of money to display advertising. Naturally, if we talk negatively over and over again about a product it will make them less likely to advertise it to our fan base thus hurting income.

Setting aside our inside source, which even if you have a hard time believing us let me just say that if this was false I would sell this site to any fan for 1$ (that’s how confident I am), this entire story starting initially making rounds today off the words of Rich Stanton on twitter. Rich Stanton is a freelance writer who is known for his work with Future Publishing/PC Gamer. While he is hardly the elite of the elite, it simply adds a lot of weight to the ongoing problem in the industry that many Journalists, and fans, are just afraid to admit to.

I warn that there are some vulgar words used in these direct quotes off twitter:

Edge gave GTA IV [10] but the review didn’t “@CiaranMac90: @RichStanton Just give us the worst story on Future you have and get some rest!” I’m genuinely amazed that nobody has picked up on the fact that GTA4 got a 9 which became Rockstar’s much sought-after [10] in Edge.

They control everything “@theubermod: @RichStanton Do publishers/platform holders ‘pay’ for covers? In either ad spend or access.”

Yes “@helloimandrew: @RichStanton do review scores in future publications sometimes magically change before it hits the self”

Homefront, less obviously. Most is Driv3rgate “@Tim__Lane: @RichStanton game that got most obviously dodgy reviews?”

Rockstar, without question. “@LittleJuiceBox1: @RichStanton Who were the dodgiest PRs for doing deals (review scores etc)?”

Yes. Future will do anything to accommodate advertisers. “@LewieP: @RichStanton have you witnessed any dodgy deals?”

PC Gamer asked me to take some photos of something very specific. A wall of concept art. I asked permission, and did so. Valve went nuts. This wasn’t approved! Do you know what PC Gamer’s editor, Tim Edwards, did? He denied I had ever been asked to do it. Said PCG were merely the innocent recipient. Lied, in other words. ****.

In short, this is an industry-wide concern. Speaking from some of my own experiences, sometimes negative remarks about games are requested to be completely eliminated from an article, rather than directly lying, because the game developer is the one “paying for that article to exist” - and usually the freelance writer has no idea that is the case at the time they take the job. They are just offered a sum of money to create an honest review, only to have to alter it before sending it live so as not to “piss off” the people who paid for it.

It makes you really question the integrity of the internet, and really question every review you see anywhere. Is the site popular? Yes? Does that mean the reviews are skewed? Possibly. It’s hard to tell in today’s day and age what’s honest and whats not, and since the consumers are none the wiser it’s hard to know if this trend will ever change. All we can do at ZI is inform all of you as to whats really going on and then leave the debate and decisions up to you. This isn’t just IGN. It’s not just Future publishing… it’s… who even knows. This runs deep folks.
SOURCE - http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/co...blic-relations

IGN's response -
Quote:
IGN Strikes Back: Editorial and Marketing Teams Separated, Reviews and Articles not Skewed
12. October 2012 by Nathanial Rumphol-Janc

Setting aside the bad Star Wars reference, when you look into any sort of news, especially as it pertains to something as serious as letting publishers push you around, it’s important of course to let both sides get their say. While our source is solid, it’s only fair we let IGN defend themselves, and as such here is what IGN has to a say according to their publicly available policies, as well as a brief statement sent to me via email from Tal Blevins, VP of Games Content at IGN

“I have been part of the IGN editorial department since 1998 and I can tell you that these statements are not true. No money or any other favors are exchanged for review scores or favorable opinions. We do not alter what we think to secure review copies of games or to encourage publishers to advertise. We also keep a very clear distinction between the editorial and advertising sections of IGN, and the editors don’t know what ads are running on the site or how much any publisher has spent to advertise on IGN’s sites.”
I know the initial reaction of many is “of course they deny what really happens”, but the fact remains that even with our solid source and these words from IGN, we at ZI can only truly know how we handle things at our own home base… not theirs. It’s true we do have some outside pressures for advertising. As an example, our American fan base, which is a majority of you, no longer receive high priority ads from Nintendo because we have to change our site name in order for that to happen. We have to drop Zelda from the title, and we’re not so sure that’s the best move.

Of course, we have talked about just dropping the “elda” and becoming zinformer, or simply just ZI, but the fact remains it’s a pressure and a decision we have to make internally. I cannot naturally understand or fathom any potential pressure IGN, or any other site, faces since we are not in their shoes. Here is what is available publicly in regards to their policies on the matter.

I see ads on IGN’s site for games you review. Do advertisers affect your review scores? Absolutely not. IGN has a very strict separation between sales and editorial. Editors are unaware of upcoming ads and promotions. It’s as much a surprise to us when we see an ad on our site as it is to the readers.

In the end we can’t tell you what to think about the whole ordeal. This naturally doesn’t change the fact that this does happen, as can be drawn from the twitter remarks in our previous post on the matter. It’s also true some money has exchanged hands with the full intention of puffing review scores, however none that necessarily applies to IGN directly.

As I stated when we posted it originally, even with the information from our source I in no way trusted IGN any less, and IGN, being the professionals they are, definitely have an extremely solid case of defense against such accusations. We may never know what truly happens, but we do know the pressures we face, and the likely chance these pressures will only get bigger as our fan base grows.

For now, we apologize to IGN for not letting them get a fair shake at the breaking of the story, but it’s not on us to cast the judgement. IGN is a fantastic site, and still my home page (blasphemy, right?) when I load my browser every morning. We have now presented both sides and the rest is left up to you folks.
SOURCE - http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/co...ews-and-articl

Rigged reviews have been talked about for a while, but I've been seeing it come up a lot more recently

Which of the two are you more inclined to agree with?
Old 10-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
FrozenPhoenix96
Show me your power!!
Points: 1,804, Level: 25 Points: 1,804, Level: 25 Points: 1,804, Level: 25
User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Bomb User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Bob-omb User owns 1x Green Shell User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x SNES Controller
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Nunchuck User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Chao

FrozenPhoenix96 has a spectacular aura aboutFrozenPhoenix96 has a spectacular aura aboutFrozenPhoenix96 has a spectacular aura about

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF's 4th Annual Award Welcome Wagon 
Total Awards: 2

Send a message via Skype™ to FrozenPhoenix96
That is a long post, going to read it tomorrow.

3DS FC: 4656-6673-5632
Old 10-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 59,829, Level: 100 Points: 59,829, Level: 100 Points: 59,829, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

My Mood: Lonely
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Ice Bucket Challenge NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 16

Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 0147-1346-8804 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: brandyn1994
I honestly wouldn't be surprised. And if this isn't the case then they really are simply IGNorant.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 59,012, Level: 100 Points: 59,012, Level: 100 Points: 59,012, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

My Mood: Woot
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 
Total Awards: 19

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
I don't know is they are paid for or not, but I do know that you can't spell Ignorant without IGN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
You wield the banhammer like Thor wields Mjolnir.

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs
Old 10-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 38,540, Level: 100 Points: 38,540, Level: 100 Points: 38,540, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Ice Bucket Challenge Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 14

If they are paid for does it really matter? It's just like any other journalist or editor being paid.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Old 10-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 59,829, Level: 100 Points: 59,829, Level: 100 Points: 59,829, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword

Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Ice Bucket Challenge NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month 

Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 0147-1346-8804 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: brandyn1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konata View Post
If they are paid for does it really matter? It's just like any other journalist or editor being paid.
The article is talking about them being bribed into giving certain scores that don't reflect what they actually think.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
Tanis
Zvarri
Points: 6,164, Level: 51 Points: 6,164, Level: 51 Points: 6,164, Level: 51
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Daisy Flower User owns 1x Bomb User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

My Mood: Tired
Tanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Brawl AM First Time Award Signature of the Month Royalty Welcome Wagon Poster Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 6

3DS Friend Code: 034493603259 PSN ID: Tanis-sama WiiU ID: Peridot-sama
Wouldn't be that much of a surprise, really.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameBoy View Post
The article is talking about them being bribed into giving certain scores that don't reflect what they actually think.
lol yeah, seeing them give God Hand a 3 while Imagine Party Babyz gets a 7.5 should say something
Old 10-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
Brandyn
The Gentleman

Awards Showcase

Reminds me of Nintendo Power. They swore up and down that Nintendo had no hand in what they wrote about the games yet conviently, first party titles hardly ever got below an 8, if they got below a 9 or 10.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameBoy View Post
Reminds me of Nintendo Power. They swore up and down that Nintendo had no hand in what they wrote about the games yet conviently, first party titles hardly ever got below an 8, if they got below a 9 or 10.
Well tbf, Nintendo Power is well, Nintendo Power, to see them biased is pretty much guaranteed regardless. Same reason why I don't trust reviews from The Official Xbox Magazine or Playstation Magazine

It's probably because sites like IGN or Gamespot are multifocused is why they're more called out on their biased than those listed above