Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo 3DS Reviews

Notices

Nintendo 3DS Reviews Section for all Nintendo 3DS Game Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
Super Mario 3D Land
Super Mario 3D Land
Published by SuperGamecube64
10-24-2012
Author review
GraphicsN/A
StorylineN/A
Controls/GameplayN/A
SoundN/A
Average N/A%
Super Mario 3D Land

Mario is Nintendo's flagship mascot, and a such he sure does get a lot of games. I'm not even talking about the spin offs, he's always gotten plenty of those, but Nintendo is going a little crazy with main series Mario games recently and it's starting to get pretty stale.

3D Land plays like a hybrid of tradition 3D Mario (Super Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy, etc) and 2D side scroller Mario (Super Mario World, New Super Mario Bros., etc). The goal in each level is to reach the flagpole before the timer runs out. Too bad most of the levels are so short, that only a 5 year old could possibly run out of time. You run, jump, collect coins, and various other things you are used to doing in Mario games. The Levels are like more constricted, linear version of Super Mario 64 levels. There is no real exploration to be done, and the levels are accessed by a New Super Mario Bros. like map. Unlike most 3D Mario games, there is but 1 single goal to each level - get to the flag pole. If they were making a 3D Mario game, why didn't they give you multiple missions per expansive world? The Star Coins from the New Super Mario Bros. games are also here, and just like in those games, there are 3 in each level. Once you reach about world 6 they will become necessary - much like Stars in Mario 64 or Shine Sprites in Mario Sunshine - to progress further into the game. The problem is you are given very limited options due to the levels being, small linear, and not having any missions to pick from. The game brings back some tradition Mario conventions, such as the tanooki suit, music blocks, airships, and boo houses but the overall experience is fairly dull. Pretty much everything in 3D Land, you have done before in another Mario game, and had a better time doing it. Things never really get too hairy at all, even in world 8, and even when you do die, you don't really care because the game is far too generous with lives.

The controls are fine for the most part, but I have one, very huge gripe. You have to hold either X or Y to run, otherwise Mario will simply walk. This is fine, and very conventional in 2D platformers, but in a 3D game with full analog control, there's no excuse to downgrade. Other than that, Mario controls as he should and is quite responsive.

Another cue this game takes from the 2D games is the hit point system. In most 3D Mario games, you have a life bar, but this time around they went with the traditional "Mario loses his power up and shrinks" method. While I would prefer a life gauge, this works better for this particular game because, as I mentioned, the levels are way too small. IF you had a life bar, you'd pretty much never die for any reason at all (not that you'll die that much in the first place).

The story is what one would expect. Peach has been kidnapped by Bowser, and Mario isn't going to have it. It's a story that hasn't been expanded on in 20 years, and I don't think we can expect them to do so anytime soon....if ever. It's very forgivable, because that simple, bland story is actually kind of central to Mario games. Soundwise, everything sounds very clear. MY only complaint is that every song in the game, as far as I can tell, is either a remix of a rerecorded version of a song from another Mario game, and that seems pretty lazy to me.

Graphically, this is one of the best looking games on the system. These screen shots don't do it any justice, because they seem jagged and blurry. On the actual system, everything is crisp and clear, and brightly colored. The 3D effects are the best I have seen so far on the system hands down, and there are 2 modes of 3D. The first, and default mode, is what you see in other 3DS games. The world has depth, and it is as if you are peering into the game world. The second option which I call "pop out mode" is exactly what it sounds like. Fireballs and bullet bills pop out of the screen at you. The world still has depth in this mode, but in a different kind of way. I personally had more fun with "pop out" mode, but both modes are beautiful. This is so far the only 3DS game that I have played entirely from beginning to end without turning the 3D effect off, and my eyes never got tired from it.

As a whole, Super Mario World 3D is a well crafted and beautiful game that is lacking any real depth - pun unintended. Everything is the game is something you have seen, done, or heard before somewhere else. If you're itching for a portable platformer, 3D land might give you a little scratch. In the end, however, you'll probably wish you'd spent your money on a game with more meat on its bones.

Published by
Futtbuck Bro no.1
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64
Sponsored Links
By AlloftheAbove on 10-24-2012, 11:11 PM
I'll definitely agree that there simply is too much Mario and not much else that Nintendo is working on. I understand that he's the company's foundations, but really? And they're becoming increasingly easier. I remember playing through this game in its entirety and never getting a Game Over. And that invincible raccoon suit that's gifted to you when you die too many times? That just seemed like a joke to me.

But as for the review, good job SGC64.
By SuperGamecube64 on 10-25-2012, 04:44 PM
I hate how they made the worlds so much like Galaxy. By that, I mean, separated, floating masses that are exist in the sky for no apparent reason. Me and AotA had an entire conversation about that last night.
By nbadger on 10-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGamecube64 View Post
I hate how they made the worlds so much like Galaxy. By that, I mean, separated, floating masses that are exist in the sky for no apparent reason.
It's as almost as if Mario games don't conform to the laws of reality...
By SuperGamecube64 on 10-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbadger View Post
It's as almost as if Mario games don't conform to the laws of reality...
Older Mario games had settings, like the worlds inside the paintings of Peach's Castle, or the Islands of Delfino. With 3D Land, it's as if they wanted to keep that feeling from Galaxy, so they just "said "I know! Let's put patches in the sky!"

If you're going to present a point with a sarcastic remark, you could at least make sure it's legitimate. I never once claimed in this review or otherwise that Mario conformed to the laws of gravity.
By Killua on 10-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Ohh snap!

Lol, good review as usual SG.
By nbadger on 10-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGamecube64 View Post
Older Mario games had settings, like the worlds inside the paintings of Peach's Castle, or the Islands of Delfino. With 3D Land, it's as if they wanted to keep that feeling from Galaxy, so they just "said "I know! Let's put patches in the sky!"

If you're going to present a point with a sarcastic remark, you could at least make sure it's legitimate. I never once claimed in this review or otherwise that Mario conformed to the laws of gravity.
When you make little effort to explain your point, you can't really be surprised when people misinterpret it.

I thought you were genuinely questioning the logic of a Mario game, which is obviously absurd.

I now see what you mean, and I agree that 3D Land's levels are fairly soulless. I don't think the same in regards to Galaxy, though. There was some sense of connectivity and consistency to most of the levels in that game.
By SuperGamecube64 on 10-29-2012, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbadger View Post
When you make little effort to explain your point, you can't really be surprised when people misinterpret it.

I thought you were genuinely questioning the logic of a Mario game, which is obviously absurd.

I now see what you mean, and I agree that 3D Land's levels are fairly soulless. I don't think the same in regards to Galaxy, though. There was some sense of connectivity and consistency to most of the levels in that game.
Exactly, because they had a theme, and stuck with it.
By Brandyn on 10-31-2012, 01:16 PM
Excellent review. I also agree with (heck I was the first on this forum to say it a couple years back) that Nintendo is riding their plumber too much these days.
By TokyoWarrior28 on 06-19-2014, 07:09 AM
Okay yes I see what you mean... this is a much better review
Comment