Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Daily Life Forum > Health & Fitness

Notices

Health & Fitness Discuss anything health & Fitness related here

Old 11-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
Gareth

Body Building Guide for Beginners

Before i get started, 2 things i need to cover

- I'm just a regular guy with experience and you should consult a healthcare professional before undertaking any diet or exercise regime.
Bodybuilding is not for everyone, and while most of the stuff in this thread will is backed by scientific research and personal experiences, bodybuilding is an evolving sport. Therefore there is always something new out there. For this reason, no guarantees can be given in regards to results.

-This will be a long read, if you aren't willing to invest time into this i suggest you go back to twiddling your thumbs and asking me questions off this thread.

I think this thread will help alot of people in general towards losing weight, building mass or generally staying in shape. If your a slim jim or a gym nut this guide will offer you advice and may tell you things you didn't know before. If there is a part i didn't cover that you would like me to go over, please let me know i am always happy to help.

Some basic things to keep in mind are

- It doesn't happen overnight, and you need to be realistic, but if you’re doing everything right then this is all scientifically proven to work, and I’ve also tried it all myself and gotten results. Pick one goal and stick to it if your skinny as hell, bulk up. If your fat then start cutting, do some cardio and lift dem weights.

Good luck
- Gaz

Basic stuff (Gym Myths)

You can change the shape of your muscles
This isn't physically possible while you can make them bigger and enhance the definition by lowering body-fat (cutting) it is impossible to make them change. It's all genetics some people have 4 packs and some people have 6. Blame your parents.

If you work abs, you will lose weight
I've seen this one constantly, people think that if they do some crunches or buy one of those toning machines it will work the abs and reduce body fat. This is all a big lie. Where you carry fat is all genetics however with cutting you can reduce overall fat and abs will follow.

All Fat is Bad Fat
Fats are essential, but there is a difference between saturated fat found in processed meals or burgers compared to healthy fats found in peanuts and fish

You can get big and cut at the same time
it’s basically impossible to put on muscle while losing fat at the same time. While it can happen to a small extent, the results will be minimal. This is why you need to have bulking and cutting cycles, it is the only way to achieve the body of your dreams.

Don't need to eat, just need supplements
Supplements are just that, to supplement your diet. You need to eat food, good food or risk hindering your growth

You grow while you're in the gym
This is a lie, you go to gym to injure your muscles and then when you rest it repairs bigger. You grow while your sleeping. Although technically while working out as blood pumps to your muscles it can give a slight pump up effect. When you leave gym these will go down.

Fat turns into muscle
Fat cannot turn to muscle, fat needs to be burned off and used for energy then muscle needs to be built. Two seperate processes (hence bulking and cutting)

Body Types
Generally humans fall into 3 different body types. This does not mean you cannot improve your body you just need to do your diet accordingly.

Ectomorphs -
Typically known as the skinny ****s you know these people. The ones who can eat everything and never put on a pound? Yeah.

Mesomorphs -
Have a great motab and put on muscle easily. These are the lucky ones, unfortunatly i wasn't lucky enough to fall into this one. Damn parents.

Endomorphs -
Generally have a slow motab, we retain fat well. When building a diet, lower your fat intake and generally less calories to stay aesthetic.

You need to train hard in order to stimulate the muscles, diet correctly to provide nutrients for growth and recovery, and rest adequately to ensure your body can recover and develop new muscle.

Diet
I started writing this out, and realised that i could go on forever about all the different types of stuff in your food, what you need etc. So i'll cover the important parts and if you think you wanna know more just message me.

They say that six packs aren't made in the gym they are made in the kitchen. This is mostly true, supplements won't make you big your diet will, i cannot stress how important your diet is. I've seen people train for years and get nowhere because they stick to the same crummy foods when they could have spent that time elsewhere.

Remember to keep it realistic, do not tell yourself your going to eat next to nothing or stacks of food to bulk/cut because chances are you wont. You need to sit down and plan meals around your actual day and make sure its ready and available.

Last but not least, remember to have a cheat day, mine is usually a Friday or Saturday. On this day you eat whatever you have been craving. Don't over do it but indulge in that white castle gameboy. Diets are boring and if you stick to just brown rice and chicken all week long your going to start hating yourself.

Ideal ratio for food is
40% carbs
40% protien
20% fat

For endomorphs its common to drop your fat to as little as 10% and upping carbs and protein evenly

Some people will know what carbs are, let me explain quickly.

Carbohydrates
are the bodies energy source. Some people restrict their carb intake in an effort to cut, because without Carbs your body will use fat for energy.
There is generally two types of carbs
Slow burning and fast acting

Slow burning is found in whole food such as brown rice, brown bread, oatmeal, green vegies etc and these are good for you. Especially after a work out as they will slowly burn throughout the day.

Other type is any food with sugar in it. These should be avoided at all costs,
they convert to fat, and should not be a part of your diet.
Examples of these include fast food, ready meals, sugar, white bread, sweets and soft-drinks such as coke

Generally carbs are best taken in morning as you'll have non through sleep and you will need them for gym/work/day activities. General rule of thumb is to try to avoid them after a workout as you wont be burning them off. Of course if like me you do morning work outs this wont work so you have to try to stick to slow burners. MOVING ON!

Protein

If you don't know what this is, you are really in the wrong place but hey ho.
Protein is one of the key parts of any diet. Muscle is made up of protein and water so without it. You wont have any muscle.

Protein is made up of amino-acids not only is it important you have alot of Protein but its important you have it at regular intervals at the right times of day.

Generally it depends who you ask, but i find the best times to take protein are
Breakfast, Post Workout and Before Bed.

What you don't know is while you sleep, theory is that your body uses up protein to rebuild your muscle but it also wastes it off for your morning glory. Hence why there is a slow acting protein known as Casein to take before bed and it will slowly work throughout your sleep. Milk is a great type of slow acting protein and therefore combine that with a protein shake before bed and boom crisis averted.

If you can't get your hands on protein just make sure to drink a glass of milk before bed.

Bulking

If you want to pack on muscle, no faster way to do it then with a bulking cycle. While bulking we keep cardio to a minimum and eat above our usual amount to help put on size. You WILL gain fat while bulking it cannot be avoided.

Thing is, your probably saying to yourself, if eating more gets me built? why not just eat 1000 calories more then i'm used to i will look like a monster!
You will gain alot of muscle its true but you will also gain ALOT of fat and its harder to lose fat then gain muscle. Your body will not look aesthetic and you'll be back to square one.

Work out your BMR using this website - http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

It will tell you how many calories you generally need in a day to keep your weight. If your cutting the rule is to try to eat 500 calories less then this, if your bulking you multiply it by 1.7 because your body will be burning alot more of it and you need the food to stay long enough to be used for protein etc.

If you want to check out your body fat % then this is for you - http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/

Cutting

Cutting is about losing body fat and regaining definition. There is a number of diets and methods for doing extreme cuts in short times such as keto diet and warrior diet etc.
All you need to know is you need to eat less calories to cut, high cardio to shed the pounds. The longer you spend cutting (the slower you do it) the less you will lose muscle during the process. While cutting it is inevitable that you will lose some muscle while in this calorie deficient state, but if done correctly you will lose much less muscle than you gained while bulking, and lose much more fat than you put on during your bulking phase.

Training

You lift weights to injure muscle, while this may sound extreme its a fact. You're doing it on a perfect scale however, where the damage can be repaired between workouts and your body can develop new muscle in preparation to better cope with future exercise.

What most people don't realise is that lifting for strength is different from lifting to grow muscle.
To improve strength, your rep range is generally 4-6 reps, this tells your body that it needs to get stronger, as it could be doing more lifts with this weight.

To improve muscle mass however, we need a rep range of 8-12 reps. This causes microscopic tears in the muscle, which when repaired will have new muscle built in these tiny little gaps. While that isn’t an overly scientific explanation, it’s definitely something you need to get your head around when you’re trying to increase the weight too fast

You do however need to get your strength level to a certain level before you will be achieving the body of your dreams. To help in increasing the strength and speed up the process, for your last set of an exercise, you can try increasing the weight so you can only do 4-6 reps

Recovery

Extremely important, two different types. In-between sets you should be spending 1-2 minutes to recover. Any longer than this and your training for strength.
You need to be sleeping a minimum of 8 hours a night and aiming for 10. You don't grow in the gym you grow while you're sleeping. You need to give your muscles an average of a week to recover from a workout. This is easily managed by having a good workout regime. Working a different muscle every day means that your giving each a good week to recover. A lack of proper healing results in bad healing and eventually over training.

Exercises

Machines vs Free Weights

Machines are your worst enemy. You don't get the full motion with a machine and therefore not building the smaller controlling muscles which help support strength. Start using weights and then machines to purely supplement this training when needed. They're nothing more then a lure to get you into paying for an expensive gym with brand new equipment.

Big Seven Staples

There is generally 7 exercises that work alot of muscles at once. If you could only do 7 exercises for the rest of your life these are the ones you would pick.

Squats
Deadlifts
Benchpress
Barbell Rows
Dips
Chin ups
Barbell Curls

These should be in every workout regime you ever make. Honestly i can't stress these enough.

Mix it up

You can follow a regime every week but you'll get get gains to start with but your body will get used to it and you'll become bored. You need to shock your system. Experiment with new exercises keep your body guessing and see what works best for you.

Think i should cover one of the things you may have heard about yet never understood.

Muscle Memory - Muscle memory is about achieving a certain size of muscle that you have already been too. Let me give you an example, if say Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) was put into a coma for 2 years and lost all of his muscle. He became some skinny little punk. If he suddenly had a twin brother who had never lifted in his life. Even with the same diet, same weights and same workouts Dwayne would always get muscle faster because his body remembers having it before. Much like how a rubber band stays partially stretched if you keep it stretched for a long period of time.

Use this to your advantage when bulking then cutting. Any muscle lost while cutting will be easily regained the next time round when you are bulking. Bare this in mind.

Cardio

Cardio plays an important part in your regime, especially during the cutting phases. Many people myself included hate cardio with a passion, however it doesn’t have to be as horrible as you think.

Consider doing a sport you enjoy, such as boxing or mixed martial arts, as this will give you an excellent workout and be fun at the same time. During a cutting cycle you should be training cardio many times a week, and during a bulk at least once a week to maintain fitness. Cardio has many benefits, such as helping to release more growth hormone, it will also lead to you being more overall healthy.

Supplements

This is always a tricky one to cover because like i said, bodybuilding within itself is an evolving sport and theory will always be proven wrong or made better.

I'll just cover the big ones:

Protein Supplements (Whey Protein, Casein etc)

These are not essential as with a right diet you can infact get just the right amount of protein although many people threat that they might not get enough or they just want more. Personally i'd rather have an excess of protein that will just be excreted as waste then have to little and waste a gym session.

Just remember that Protein is protein, brand doesn't matter as much as they would like you to believe no protein is twice as effective as the other, get the right type not the right brand.

Multi-vitamins
These are great if you have a very strict diet during cutting.
Personally i use the Animal Pak because they actually work. I'm a big hater of cottage cheese and fish so when i'm on strict diets i just use Animal to supplement the foods i'm not eating.

Pre-Work outs
Most contain Creatine which will give you an added strength boost. Don't go crazy on these as they can really mess with your head if you take too many.

Weight Loss Pills
These work by speeding up your motab. Making it more achievable to stick to your diets as you won't need to cut out as much. Do not make the mistake of thinking if you take a few of these you can pop to mcdonalds every night.

Conclusion

Thanks for taking the time to read this, i'm happy to see some of you seeking to fufill your dreams and better yourself. I'm humbled to be helping you along the way.

The main thing you need to do now is stick with it. It’s an ongoing process, a lifestyle if you will, and it takes time and commitment. If you diet right and train hard, you’re guaranteed results, it’s impossible not to grow.

Good luck, and i hope that some day i will be coming to you for tips,

-Gaz
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 59,156, Level: 100 Points: 59,156, Level: 100 Points: 59,156, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

My Mood: Lonely
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 15

Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 3282-3036-3021 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: Brandyn_Johnson
Thanks for providing the guide, G. I'll remember to have a cheat week--I mean day--for my White Castle indeed. And the cardio part is also important.

Nintendo/PlayStation Network ID: Brandyn_Johnson

Ultra Street Fighter IV mains: Gen, Dudley, Ryu
Tekken Revolution mains: Paul, Steve
Tekken 6 mains: Paul, Steve, Hwoarang
King of Fighters XIII team: Ryo/Kim/Joe
Brandyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 38,287, Level: 100 Points: 38,287, Level: 100 Points: 38,287, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 
Total Awards: 13

I'm going to find the diet part hard.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
Wiidude
One Cool Dude
Points: 10,495, Level: 68 Points: 10,495, Level: 68 Points: 10,495, Level: 68
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Nunchuck User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel

My Mood: Cool
Wiidude is a jewel in the roughWiidude is a jewel in the roughWiidude is a jewel in the roughWiidude is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty 
Total Awards: 2

Wiidude approves of this guide.
Wiidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #5
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 59,012, Level: 100 Points: 59,012, Level: 100 Points: 59,012, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

My Mood: Woot
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 
Total Awards: 19

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
I'm going to sticky this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
You wield the banhammer like Thor wields Mjolnir.

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs
SuperGamecube64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
Colorful CrAzYoNzZ
Pink Pearl Voice
Points: 7,909, Level: 59 Points: 7,909, Level: 59 Points: 7,909, Level: 59
User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 1x Chao User owns 1x Mr Saturn

My Mood: In Love
Colorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant future

Awards Showcase
Game Reviewer Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Royalty Poster Princess Award NFF 3rd Annual Award Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 9

Send a message via MSN to Colorful CrAzYoNzZ Send a message via Skype™ to Colorful CrAzYoNzZ Xbox Live Gamertag: z0mbii baItt
Thanks for the info! I need to do some cutting, but I wasn't sure how to get started. This helped give me some ideas.

I need to cut out sodas, and sugary snacks in general...and probably should start going back to the gym with my dad and eating a salad before dinner like I used to...

I have a few questions, I might take you up on the offer to message you. xD

If you look everybody here is trying on new faces
And the ones that fit are surprisingly contagious
With a shiny new beginning we cordially invite you to
Into the dressing room.
Colorful CrAzYoNzZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 59,156, Level: 100 Points: 59,156, Level: 100 Points: 59,156, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword

Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month Level 100 Award 

Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 3282-3036-3021 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: Brandyn_Johnson
It feels good to be back in the gym.

....especially since when I was there earlier, there was this cute gal doing Yoga right in front of me while I was on the treadmill. And man was she flexible. Hehe. I notice she's usually there so...I think I've just found my new gym motivation, hehehe.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
Killua
Property Of Nicci
Points: 1,162, Level: 18 Points: 1,162, Level: 18 Points: 1,162, Level: 18
User owns 1x Four Sword User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Red Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Ruby User owns 1x Master Ball
User owns 1x Yellow Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Shuriken User owns 1x Mega Man

My Mood: Spaced
Killua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF's 4th Annual Award Poster 
Total Awards: 3

Till she turns around one day and you get a swift backhand. :P
It must be the drugs that got us doing this crazy shit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Fuentes View Post
Iíve been having this dream that we can fly, so maybe if we never wake up we can see the sky.
Killua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #9
Brandyn
The Gentleman

Awards Showcase

Ha, I think she was doing it on purpose she was shakin' it and everything and she clearly knew I was there on that treadmill.

So I took my water bottle and splashed some water on my forehead to look like I had really worked up a sweat, then I casually walked by and said, "HeyIjustwantedtosaythatIlikeyourhair".

-_-

Old 11-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #10
Killua
Property Of Nicci
Points: 1,162, Level: 18 Points: 1,162, Level: 18 Points: 1,162, Level: 18
User owns 1x Four Sword User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Red Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Ruby User owns 1x Master Ball
User owns 1x Yellow Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Shuriken User owns 1x Mega Man

My Mood: Spaced
Killua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF's 4th Annual Award Poster 
Total Awards: 3

AwhSnap! Gameboy is so in there! Lol, nice man!
It must be the drugs that got us doing this crazy shit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Fuentes View Post
Iíve been having this dream that we can fly, so maybe if we never wake up we can see the sky.
Killua is offline   Reply With Quote