Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Daily Life Forum > Studies

Notices

Studies Discuss your school related stuff here.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
Colorful CrAzYoNzZ
Pink Pearl Voice
Points: 7,909, Level: 59 Points: 7,909, Level: 59 Points: 7,909, Level: 59
User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 1x Chao User owns 1x Mr Saturn

My Mood: In Love
Colorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant future

Awards Showcase
NFF Ice Bucket Challenge Game Reviewer Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Royalty Poster Princess Award NFF 3rd Annual Award 
Total Awards: 10

Send a message via MSN to Colorful CrAzYoNzZ Send a message via Skype™ to Colorful CrAzYoNzZ Xbox Live Gamertag: z0mbii baItt
Lightbulb The Chronicles of a Teacher

So, some of you know I'm studying in school to become a teacher. If you didn't know, now you do. I warn you, this thread is going to require you to think, so leave now if you don't want to do that. No trolls are allowed, either. This thread is for intelligent people to discuss a serious matter that may impact the world of education one day.

In my studies to become I teacher, I have to make lesson plans and creative games and activities for a elementary school classroom. Most of the time, since it's mainly online work, I don't have time to e-mail my classmates for input. So I turn to my parents, friends, SG64, and others for advice.

Since many of you either have children of your own or are still in school, I decided you guys might have some input for me. This thread is not to toot my own horn, but I would like to offer some of my ideas and hear from you all if you like it or don't. When I post something here, I would like you to really think about how you/your child/your friends would react to it being taught, and offer criticisms accordingly. You can also offer you own ideas, such as, if your class did something neat, I would like to know about it! If you have a cool idea, please let me know!

That way, as I develop my portfolio of teaching work, I can have some real-world advice for what will work and what won't work. I'm sure this will help me grow as a future educator, and give you a little insight into why teachers do what they do.

Thanks for participating!

To get the ball rolling, here's my first idea:

For English, I am doing a Mini-Lesson, where I am to teach a grammatical lesson for at least 10 minutes, but no more than that. This is my big project, and will count for a good part of my grade. I chose do do a game, to make it easy to get everyone involved in what I was teaching. It's meant to be a review game, which means the students should already know the material.

I chose to do a "Grammar Court" or "Grammar on Trial" game. I choose a piece of writing, maybe about a paragraph long, that may contain some grammar errors. The students then form two teams, one team being the Prosecuting team, the other being the Defense. These two teams prepare arguments as to why or why not the writing is grammatically correct. The rest of the class is the jury, who make the final vote on if the sample of writing is grammatically correct or not.

After the game, the teacher recaps on the argument and tells the class what really was wrong or right.

I think this would be a good, engaging activity to use in a real classroom. The only problem is that 10 minutes is nowhere near long enough, so I might just have to do a quick demonstration for my project.

Any suggestions?

(SN: No colors for this post, I don't want to give anyone a seizure trying to read it. xD )

If you look everybody here is trying on new faces
And the ones that fit are surprisingly contagious
With a shiny new beginning we cordially invite you to
Into the dressing room.
Colorful CrAzYoNzZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2012, 12:00 AM   #2
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 59,829, Level: 100 Points: 59,829, Level: 100 Points: 59,829, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

My Mood: Lonely
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Ice Bucket Challenge NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 16

Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 0147-1346-8804 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: brandyn1994
Sounds like a fresh and creative idea. I haven't done anything like that in school before.

Brandyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #3
Colorful CrAzYoNzZ
Pink Pearl Voice

Colorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant future

Awards Showcase
NFF Ice Bucket Challenge Game Reviewer Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Royalty Poster Princess Award NFF 3rd Annual Award 

Send a message via MSN to Colorful CrAzYoNzZ Send a message via Skype™ to Colorful CrAzYoNzZ Xbox Live Gamertag: z0mbii baItt
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameBoy View Post
Sounds like a fresh and creative idea. I haven't done anything like that in school before.
Yes!

That's what I was trying to go for.
I want students to actually somewhat enjoy school, at least in my class.

Into the dressing room.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:16 AM   #4
Killua
Property Of Nicci
Points: 1,162, Level: 18 Points: 1,162, Level: 18 Points: 1,162, Level: 18
User owns 1x Four Sword User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Red Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Ruby User owns 1x Master Ball
User owns 1x Yellow Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Shuriken User owns 1x Mega Man

My Mood: Spaced
Killua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF's 4th Annual Award Poster 
Total Awards: 3

Pretty damn cool.
It must be the drugs that got us doing this crazy shit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Fuentes View Post
Iíve been having this dream that we can fly, so maybe if we never wake up we can see the sky.
Killua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:10 AM   #5
Colorful CrAzYoNzZ
Pink Pearl Voice

Awards Showcase

Okay, I'm working on a Lesson Plan for a story called the "Rainbow Fish" maybe you read it. ;3

The plan is about story elements, like setting, characters, conflict, stuff like that...and how they relate to a story. This lesson plan is for Music class, so I need to incorporate music into it somehow. I found a few songs, but I'm not sure. Anybody have any ideas for how I could use music in this lesson? :3

Into the dressing room.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:39 AM   #6
Nintenduendo
Estupidez
Points: 16,499, Level: 82 Points: 16,499, Level: 82 Points: 16,499, Level: 82
User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Super Mushroom

My Mood: Cold
Nintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster NFF Annual Awards Profile of the Month Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Poster NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorful CrAzYoNzZ View Post
Okay, I'm working on a Lesson Plan for a story called the "Rainbow Fish" maybe you read it. ;3

The plan is about story elements, like setting, characters, conflict, stuff like that...and how they relate to a story. This lesson plan is for Music class, so I need to incorporate music into it somehow. I found a few songs, but I'm not sure. Anybody have any ideas for how I could use music in this lesson? :3
Use music to tell the story. Boom, two birds one stone.

Nintenduendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:28 AM   #7
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 38,540, Level: 100 Points: 38,540, Level: 100 Points: 38,540, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Ice Bucket Challenge Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 14

I like some of the ideas but my old high school tried this stuff too. None of the kids (aged 11-16) enjoyed doing them, and just wanted normal lessons. I'm not sure about elementary school kids though, they may appreciate it more.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
Colorful CrAzYoNzZ
Pink Pearl Voice

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konata View Post
I like some of the ideas but my old high school tried this stuff too. None of the kids (aged 11-16) enjoyed doing them, and just wanted normal lessons. I'm not sure about elementary school kids though, they may appreciate it more.
I'm in elementay education, and kids just love stuff like this. I want to make school fun for them!

Yeah, it gets a bit harder for older students. They don't like to do stuff like this, maybe because they think it's childish to have fun in class?

Into the dressing room.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #9
Lucario8D
The True Warrior
Points: 67, Level: 1 Points: 67, Level: 1 Points: 67, Level: 1
User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

My Mood: Bored
Lucario8D is an unknown quantity at this point

You could do an exciting game every Friday.Like a scavenger hunt,etc.
Lucario8D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:15 PM   #10
Mikematute
Zombie Prosecutor
Points: 13,099, Level: 74 Points: 13,099, Level: 74 Points: 13,099, Level: 74
User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Triforce

My Mood: Gaming
Mikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of light

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty Review of the Month Poster 
Total Awards: 4

(had to be done)

I find the idea of a trial intriguing.
but you have to consider the fact that maybe the children may be bored by it.(depending on the age)
You may take costumes with you...maybe you could use a beard

but, as I was saying...it may be fun :3

WHO THE **** DO YOU THINK I AM
Mikematute is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grammar, math, music, school, teacher