Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo Wii Reviews

Notices

Nintendo Wii Reviews Section for all Nintendo Wii Game Reviews and Wiiware Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
Okami
Okami
Published by smashfan120
08-21-2008
Author review
Graphics
85%85%85%
Storyline
90%90%90%
Controls/Gameplay
90%90%90%
Sound
80%80%80%
Average 86%
Okami

After much fan pressure for Capcom to re-release the much acclaimed PS2 version,the highly anticipated Wii version has been released in North America.It has action/adventure/rpg elements with real-time battles, power-ups, weapon enhancements and attribute development.

Story
Okami storyline is derived from the Japanese religion Shinto and its central figure Amaterasu (or Amaterasu Omikami), "that which illuminates the Heavens”. She is portrayed as a wolf. Other key figures are derived from other Japanese fairy tales and traditional stores.

The central theme is good vs evil, light vs darkness. What once was thought slain has now re-awakened and strives to blot out all color and light. Amaterasu sets out to stop the evil and bring back light to the world. While this may seem familiar to some in other games it is a reoccurring theme throughout storytelling and has been brought to this medium with much reverence and thoughtfulness.

Some patience will be needed to get through the story, especially the beginning. Those who like a lot of story and character development and background will enjoy this immensely. Those who do not will be using the “+” button a great deal of the time.

Graphics
The graphics style is of a Japanese painting. Backgrounds are gorgeous. People and animals are very distinct and varied. It’s nice sit back for a couple of moments to watch a hawk soar through the sky. It's evident that a lot of thought went into how to use the available graphics hardware and not settle for a cartoon look but rather go for ink-n-paper visuals. I do agree with some that it could have used a little more “paper” effect to better pull off the storybook-as-a-game premise. While some will consider them to be not crisp enough they do convey the sense of being part of an ancient story.

Controls
The Wii-mote has been put to good use. No wildly swinging around. Careful “brush” strokes and a bit of timing will do you much better than flailing around. I got very annoyed at one point until I calmed down, took my time, and made a complete, closed circle.Moving around the countryside is done with the nunchuck and while a bit twitchy in some spots is overall implemented well.

Wrap Up
I give this game a 8.5/10.Its a really good game but its also kinda frustrating and the music gets kinda annoying.
Published by
Sir Smash
smashfan120 We have a Nintendo Fan in the Making
Send a message via AIM to smashfan120
Sponsored Links
By Mario on 08-22-2008, 08:06 AM
Nice review Smashfan
By Skreamo on 08-22-2008, 08:07 AM
Good Review, though it would've benefitted from some screenshots
By Lukario on 08-22-2008, 11:43 AM
I think this game was really good on the PS2, and on the Wii it'll be even better.

I like your review, as it reminded me as to how much I liked this game.

Lukario
By Virtual Anomoly on 08-23-2008, 06:52 PM
Very nicely done i enjoyed playing this game all the way through on the PS2 and loved it even more on the wii :3 I also loved your review of it it was very enjoyable to read ^_^

P.s I would have liked to see some screen shots but other than tht very well :3
Comment