Nintendo Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > General Chat > Debate Forum

Notices

Debate Forum This is the Debate forum engage in serious debates here.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
JemStar
Konata's booty
Points: 4,632, Level: 43 Points: 4,632, Level: 43 Points: 4,632, Level: 43

My Mood: Sleepy
JemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud of

Send a message via Skype™ to JemStar PSN ID: BlackChilliBean
Are people brought up in gender-stereotypes too much?

I've noticed from observing people in public and while seeing my sisters and family, that people are brought up on things emphasising their gender a lot. I see it in advertisements, films, general life and stores. In the girls section it's all pink and purples, while boys have greens and blues. Girls have baby dolls and small play kitchens, while boys have cars and games.

It kind of disgusts me. I don't think many people realise how much they are molding their children's possible future outlook on life and personality; parents will always influence personality, but it just seems too gender stereotypical to me. I watch my sisters playing with all these pink toys which are so obviously aimed at just girls. They have countless toy bags, shopping trolleys, baby dolls, barbies, kitchen play areas. I just don't like how brainwashed they are. My dad is a firm believer in gender stereotypes, I don't think he'd put it that way, but he believes skirts and dresses are for girls, and jeans for boys. He used to comment on my clothes whenever I went there, saying I looked like a boy because I wore jeans and T shirts with my battered, ripped Hoody. He also refuses to buy me Converse, and used to insist I wear shoes or high heels instead.

In advertisements, to this day where men and women are supposedly equal and don't have gender stereotypes, all the cooking/house cleaning products feature a women using them or selling them.
I can take the kitchen jokes and all that, but it doesn't seem right that some guys (and I've met a few) expect that their future wife be a housewife or expect a women to wait on them hand and foot, while they go to work and have a career.

To balance this out, there's pressure on boys as well. Young boys aren't given anything like baby dolls to play with, and I'm quite sure if a boy was given them, they'd be bullied if their friends knew.
If anything, there's more pressure on boys. I know girls can get away with playing with games and cars, but the idea of something pink or "girly" probably terrifies some young boys because of what their friends would think. Girls or boys, because girls don't expect boys to play with dolls either.

It just disgusts me watching people grow up like this, and I can even see myself that I've sort of been brainwashed into the same cultural construct. I feel like sometimes if I don't do something myself, and left someone else to do it, then it wouldn't be right, which is how I, as a girl, was brought up to believe.

Sorry if this is all over the place. My argument would be better, but I'm rather tired and don't have a lot of time.

"I collect, not play." - Quinten talking about My Little Pony.
JemStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
Nintenduendo
Estupidez
Points: 15,809, Level: 80 Points: 15,809, Level: 80 Points: 15,809, Level: 80
User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Super Mushroom

My Mood: Cold
Nintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster NFF Annual Awards Profile of the Month Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Poster NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 6

I believe that there has to be, to a certain extent, a division between males and females, and the greatest time to assert this division is during childhood. For females, this is the nurtering shown in taking care of baby dolls,pretending to do housework and such, while in males this can be seen in more physical tasks like playing in the dirt, using building blocks, etc.

However I don't think the tasks each gender performs should be exclusive. I think that males can exhibit some similar nurtering qualities as females, just as the females can exhibit some of the male's qualities. Give a boy a teddy bear, or even a puppy to grow up with and take care of. Girls shouldn't be afraid to get a bit of dirt on them, either.

I think the issue seen in society is a gross exaggeration of this division between sexes, and instead of showing how the two genders can coexist, they enforce the division as much possible.

Nintenduendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 34,711, Level: 100 Points: 34,711, Level: 100 Points: 34,711, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award NFF's 4th Annual Award 
Total Awards: 12

If I want to wear a skirt, I'll wear a skirt.

Lol just kidding only girls wear skirts. Poofs.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gender stereotypes