Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Gaming News

Notices

Gaming News Gaming News around the world.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 23,246, Level: 93 Points: 23,246, Level: 93 Points: 23,246, Level: 93
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

WiiU ID: Megas75
Valve wants to directly compete with consoles

Quote:
Valve Wants to Directly Compete with Consoles
Gabe Newell confirms that Valve will be involved with production on a PC for living rooms.
by Charles Onyett DECEMBER 10, 2012

Rumors of Valve-produced or branded hardware have been circulating for a while. At this year’s VGAs, Valve co-founder Gabe Newell confirmed to Kotaku that Valve will be involved with some kind of hardware alternative meant to be used in living rooms with Steam’s recently launched Big Picture mode.

"I think in general that most customers and most developers are gonna find that [the PC is] a better environment for them. ‘Cause they won't have to split the world into thinking about 'why are my friends in the living room, why are my video sources in the living room different from everyone else?' So in a sense we hopefully are gonna unify those environments."

“We'll do it but we also think other people will as well."

But what exactly is Valve’s idea of a PC that fits well into a living room? There’s nothing really preventing you from using a PC in living rooms at the moment. Right now, for example, you could just pick up the PC you might be reading this article on, move it to your living room’s television and hook it into an input. There you go, enjoy Far Cry 3 on a 50’’ display. Maybe it’s not the most convenient thing to do, but it can be done.

Newell gave Kotaku a hint of what Valve might be doing. “Well certainly our hardware will be a very controlled environment. If you want more flexibility, you can always buy a more general purpose PC. For people who want a more turnkey solution, that's what some people are really gonna want for their living room.”

So it sounds like this living room PC wouldn’t be the same thing as a PC, but limited in some ways to be more console-like, but still not quite a console, which gets even more confusing when you consider that consoles are becoming more and more PC-like as their capabilities continue to expand beyond video games.

PCs that sort of look like consoles, like Alienware’s X51, exist right now, but it seems like Valve’s effort would likely involve something more than just a smaller form factor. As the developer has proven with Big Picture mode, it’s entirely capable of finding creative fixes to longstanding console problems that companies like Sony and Microsoft still haven’t solved as elegantly, such as Big Picture’s gamepad typing interface.

The “very controlled environment” Newell mentioned could mean the Valve’s living room machine boots up directly into Steam’s big picture mode and lets you browse, play, download and chat only through Valve’s digital distribution service. Or, if Newell only meant hardware by that comment, it could mean that if someone bought one of Valve’s machines, Valve would provide a limited, clearly-defined selection of possible upgrades. So Valve would select very specific RAM and GPU upgrades to keep some kind of standardized hardware configurations for developers to build games for, and in this way add much more longevity to the machine when better hardware and technology is developed later on.

A Valve machine could also give the company a more focused way to push alternative input interfaces, such as an augmented reality device, and then market that device to an audience that would have never otherwise been interested. How those plans mesh with Valve’s aggressive support of Linux remain to be seen.

Between Valve’s hardware, which Newell mentioned could be available next year, Microsoft and Sony’s still-unknown future plans, Nintendo’s Wii U, the Ouya, and whatever Apple’s ideas are for gobbling up even more of the gaming market, it seems like in the next generation of gaming there will be no shortage of ways to play.

Aside from Dota 2, which is still in closed beta testing, Valve has no officially announced unreleased games. We’ve reached out to Valve for a comment and will update with any response.
SOURCE - http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/12/...-with-consoles
Old 12-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
Gareth

Me & a friend have debated that they should call it "The Furnace"
Old 12-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
Nintenduendo
Estupidez
Points: 16,499, Level: 82 Points: 16,499, Level: 82 Points: 16,499, Level: 82
User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Super Mushroom

My Mood: Cold
Nintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster NFF Annual Awards Profile of the Month Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Poster NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
Me & a friend have debated that they should call it "The Furnace"
Nah, they should call it the Steam Engine.

Nintenduendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
Mikematute
Zombie Prosecutor
Points: 12,827, Level: 73 Points: 12,827, Level: 73 Points: 12,827, Level: 73
User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Triforce

My Mood: Gaming
Mikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of light

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty Review of the Month Poster 
Total Awards: 4

it seems nice...but I already have a computer..
so would it be like a PC for gamin? *cough couhg* alien ware like? or what?

WHO THE **** DO YOU THINK I AM
Mikematute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
Zero
Smashing Brothers
Points: 3,991, Level: 40 Points: 3,991, Level: 40 Points: 3,991, Level: 40
User owns 1x Poke Ball User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Z-Saber User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Nintendo DS
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote

My Mood: Amused
Zero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Poster Super Member Royalty 
Total Awards: 4

Zero never really got into PC gaming. It's always been about the consoles.

Last edited by Zero; 12-15-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
Gareth

From what i understand, it is basically a CONSOLE but with PC hardware on the inside of it. You boot it up, play it and has a home screen just like any console, you even use a controller like any other console but instead of buying games for it. You download them and play other steam users both pc & console alike

Only reason i like this console? the games will be cheap as hell.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
eloratings
Posting freak
Points: 3,644, Level: 37 Points: 3,644, Level: 37 Points: 3,644, Level: 37
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii

My Mood: Tired
eloratings is a splendid one to beholdeloratings is a splendid one to beholdeloratings is a splendid one to beholdeloratings is a splendid one to beholdeloratings is a splendid one to beholdeloratings is a splendid one to behold

Friend Codes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
I never really got into PC gaming. It's always been about the consoles for me.
Seconded.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 37,717, Level: 100 Points: 37,717, Level: 100 Points: 37,717, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 
Total Awards: 13

This is gonna be awesome.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #9
Killua
Property Of Nicci
Points: 1,162, Level: 18 Points: 1,162, Level: 18 Points: 1,162, Level: 18
User owns 1x Four Sword User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Red Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Ruby User owns 1x Master Ball
User owns 1x Yellow Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Shuriken User owns 1x Mega Man

My Mood: Spaced
Killua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF's 4th Annual Award Poster 
Total Awards: 3

I just looked up that Ouya thing. That actually looks pretty cool.

This sounds cool too.
It must be the drugs that got us doing this crazy shit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Fuentes View Post
I’ve been having this dream that we can fly, so maybe if we never wake up we can see the sky.
Killua is offline   Reply With Quote