Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo DS Reviews

Notices

Nintendo DS Reviews Section for all Nintendo DS and DSI Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
Magician's Quest: Mysterious Times
It's mysterious, alright...
Published by SuperGamecube64
01-02-2013
Author review
GraphicsN/A
StorylineN/A
Controls/GameplayN/A
SoundN/A
Average N/A%

*In PAL terrirories, this game is known as " Enchanted Folk and the School of Wizardry"

I make no secret of my affinity for the Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon series, but more specifically Animal Crossing. I wanted this game back when I first heard about it, but was unable to find a copy until about a year ago. It was described in Nintendo Power as "Animal Crossing Meets Hogwarts" and that assessment, while quite generalized, is also fairly accurate.

Konami based this game around the concept of Nintendo's Animal Crossing: Wild World, and this apparent from the get go. As soon as you boot up the game, you are asked a series of questions including your name and your astrological sign, and create your witch or wizard. After this, you are shown to your dorm and must soon begin attending your classes.

Much like the game from which it was inspired, you may decorate your dorm how you see fit. You may also sell various things to cash. There are so many things this game has in common with Wild World, but I'm not sure I can list them all. Instead, here are the things that set it apart. As you are a witch or wizard, you learn spells from your classes and provided you can remember the correct series of symbols, you can then cast that spell anytime. Some spells make clouds for you to rest on while others can cause mischief, such as the fart spell.

You (along with any other human players) will be the only human attending to academy. Other students may be demons, anthropomorphic animals, or even zombies. You can interact with them in a number of ways, including but not limited to inviting them to hang out, playing instruments with them, casting spells together, or just talking to them. the game has a very interesting student communication system that is more complex than villager itneractions in Animal Crossing. Rumors may be started if someone sees you talking to a girl (or another student doing the same). Similarly, a student who dislikes you may spread a nasty lie about you. There is also a relationship system in witch you can become more than friends with another student, but they cannot be married.

There are also many side quests to occupy your time with. There's a grave in the grave yard that asks for Shade Remains, for starters, claiming to have changed since he was killed for his evil deeds. OF course, the only way to find out for sure is to revive him and hope he doesn't destroy the school! There are also moments, called "Mystery Times" that take place on specific dates throughout the year. During Mystery Time, things are much darker and there is a specific riddle to be solved. The problem is that you are given little to no clue as to what needs to be done, and finding resources online can be very frustrating.

One of this game's biggest problems is its rarity. This game is rare (and can be expensive), but due to this there are very few online sources to help you out. It doesn't help that the game was literally translated to English by some random Indian kid. as you may assume, this also means there are a ton of typos and errors. On top of all this, the game lacks the polish of Animal Crossing - it doesn't quite feel finished. I enjoyed my time with Magician's Quest, although it did frustrate me sometimes trying to figure things out. If you can look past its glaring flaws, you will find a charming life sim with some great ideas that just doesn't have the polish it should. Good luck finding a copy for a price you're willing to pay, though.
Published by
Futtbuck Bro no.1
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64
Sponsored Links
By Colorful CrAzYoNzZ on 01-02-2013, 11:45 PM
This review is kinda short...but I love this game and you summed it up pretty well.

I wish it gave you some hints about what you're supposed to do. Dx
By SuperGamecube64 on 01-02-2013, 11:51 PM
I intended for it to be short. There wasn't much to say.
By Colorful CrAzYoNzZ on 01-05-2013, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGamecube64 View Post
I intended for it to be short. There wasn't much to say.

Yeah, for games like this, I can see how there's really not much to talk about.
You can basically do whatever...
By Mable on 07-01-2014, 08:04 PM
This looks super cute.
By Hakuryuu on 07-01-2014, 08:09 PM
This looks really adorable and I want it
By SanePsychoSuper on 07-01-2014, 10:09 PM
It is a pretty cute game, but like Cubey and Colorful said it could use some pointers in game. x.x I got annoyed pretty quickly tbh trying to figure out what the heck I was suppose to do. I found it pretty cheap at Gamestop, under 10 bucks. The problem is just finding it. I had to go a couple towns over to get it.
Comment