Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo Wii U Reviews

Notices

Nintendo Wii U Reviews Section for all Nintendo Wii U Game Reviews.

Comment

Review Tools
Sports Connection
Sports Connection
Published by AlloftheAbove
01-08-2013
Author review
GraphicsN/A
StorylineN/A
Controls/GameplayN/A
SoundN/A
Average N/A%
Smilie Waluigi Sports Connection

Ubisoft has been a stalwart partner of Nintendo's for quite some time now, always turning up at the launch of a new console with a clutch of games to demonstrate its support for the big N. Unfortunately, outside quality efforts such as ZombiU and to a lesser extent Assassin's Creed III, it's not always the kind of support you would really welcome. Imagine a celebrity turning up to a premier, gritting their teeth as they pose awkwardly on the red carpet with their drunken mother-in-law who got dressed in the dark and is wearing off flip-flops. See that mother in law? That's Sports Connection, that is.

The box promises to let you "play six of your favourite sports in a whole new way" which is probably accurate if you take "whole new" to mean "clumsily and badly made". It's true that none of these sports have ever felt quite so uncomfortable to play, nor so devoid of entertainment value. So at least the blurb is reasonably honest. That is until it gets to the "thrilling mini-games" part, though perhaps that's a misprint and they actually meant "chilling", referring to the blank-eyed, wonky-mouthed avatars you choose from.

So what do we have? Well, for starters there's a dreadful Mario Kart clone, which at least has the decency to fast-paced, but it runs about as smoothly as a four-frame flipnote. Then there's football, where players like to jog over to the side of the pitch for a rest every few seconds, or, alternatively, dry-hump the goalposts. Tennis adopts a curious, stylus-led control scheme that might be an interesting idea if it wasn't seemingly your opponent's first encounter with the sport, or if they weren't apparently suffering from chronic arthritis. Baseball is perhaps the pick of the bunch, being tolerably mundane, rather than abject. It punches Nintendo's idea of moving the GamePad to catch the ball in your gloved mitt and you pitch by drawing a line. The path you actually throw isn't a particularly close match, though: I know because I tried to spell the word "dull" using the ball's trajectory.

Either way, it's certainly better than their rendition of American Football, which features the most cack-handed implementation of throwing a ball possible. And that's when it works. When defending you're given the option to move players to block routes to the offensive team's receivers, which would be fine if your men didn't completely ignore your instructions. Golf, meanwhile, merely had to copy Wii Sports to win the dubious honour of Best Game in Sports Connection, but it can't even manage that. Jerkier than a strip of dry-cured beef, it asks you to sync the remote between every single hole. In mitigation, as with the rest of Sports Connection, it's primarily a multiplayer game, but good luck roping in any other poor saps.

As if Sports Connection wasn't bad enough, it also suffers from bafflingly long loading times, while the font is so dull even his friend Times New Roman secretly hates him. If you're looking for a present for your mortal enemy, you've come to the right place. Everyone else? Avoid as you would burying your head in a nest of angry fire ants.
Published by
Numbah Wan
AlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond repute
Sponsored Links
By Nintenduendo on 01-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Dammit AotA, and just when I thought I could take RotM this month with my upcoming review. >:I

Lol, but really, this is a top-notch review. I haven't even heard of this game, but judging by what you say about it, I suppose ignorance is bliss.
By Miggles on 01-09-2013, 01:50 AM
This review was actually not just informative, but pretty fun to read too. Good job, bad game. Sorry you had to play it.
By Killua on 01-09-2013, 12:09 PM
Never heard of this game but it looks god awful lol.

Great review, very informative.
By JemStar on 01-09-2013, 01:28 PM
Awesome review, I enjoyed reading it and laughed a couple of times too.

I'll definitely avoid this.
Comment