Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Daily Life Forum > Advice

Notices

Advice Have a personal issue, seek advice here

Old 02-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 59,829, Level: 100 Points: 59,829, Level: 100 Points: 59,829, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

My Mood: Lonely
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Ice Bucket Challenge NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 16

Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 0147-1346-8804 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: brandyn1994
Staying motivated in college

I'm now a college freshman, I go to a local community college. First semester went pretty okay (minus Biology) but as of recently I just feel as though I have lost interest in many things. At this point I'm essentially bidding my time while I guess just working for Gen-Ed credits.

Of course the obvious motivation should be college is so that you can get a better job and have more in life, I guess I was just asking fellow students how they do it. I'm 18...and I don't really have a plan.

Brandyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
eloratings
Posting freak
Points: 3,725, Level: 38 Points: 3,725, Level: 38 Points: 3,725, Level: 38
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii

My Mood: Tired
eloratings is a splendid one to beholdeloratings is a splendid one to beholdeloratings is a splendid one to beholdeloratings is a splendid one to beholdeloratings is a splendid one to beholdeloratings is a splendid one to behold

Friend Codes
as a general rule of thumb, if you are confused which major to go to, just take GE classes for 2 yrs to get an AA degree. Most CC offer counselors to see what views that you are planning in later on. Just stay for 1 year at least and again, aim for an AA degree; and you'll have a general idea later what major you'll get into later on in University.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
Misdirection
Anarchist
Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1
User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Links Shield

Misdirection is just really niceMisdirection is just really niceMisdirection is just really niceMisdirection is just really nice

PSN ID: Sonikku1994
I'm in the same boat as you. I go to a College to get caught up in my remaining school credits, and I have too take six buses in a day (Three there, three back) just so I can get there. Because my College is in a different town. So, it takes me two hours just on one trip. Four hours in a day, just on transportation.
So, I've really lost most of my motivation too get up in the morning. I've even thought about dropping it, but then I think why bother ducking out now?
I don't quite know what to recommend other than wrap your head around, you know, actually doing it. If it's what you want to be doing, that is.

It comes in waves, I close my eyes
Hold my breath, and let it bury me.

Misdirection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 59,829, Level: 100 Points: 59,829, Level: 100 Points: 59,829, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

My Mood: Lonely
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Ice Bucket Challenge NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 16

Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 0147-1346-8804 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: brandyn1994
Well as aforementioned I guess the real issue is lack of interest in anything it seems. I wanted to do something with writing but I'm not sure now so I really don't have a clue outside of that or a plan for my life even though it seems everyone else I know does.

Brandyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #5
JemStar
Konata's booty
Points: 5,528, Level: 47 Points: 5,528, Level: 47 Points: 5,528, Level: 47

My Mood: Sleepy
JemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud of

Send a message via Skype™ to JemStar PSN ID: BlackChilliBean
I know the feels. Lost motivation to do anything myself.

People tell me to keep up with things and try I keep interest is set out when you do specific things and to have the goal I want to reach. Problem is, I don't know what my goal is, like you.
A lot of people I know are lacking motivation, and one of my friends doesn't believe it's right that ages 13 - 21 are so pressurising and has to be the time where you plan out your life and career. I don't think it's right myself, right now I just want to try a bit of everything but of course we can't because its now or never.

"I collect, not play." - Quinten talking about My Little Pony.

Last edited by JemStar; 02-27-2013 at 08:17 PM.
JemStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #6
Misdirection
Anarchist
User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Links Shield

Misdirection is just really niceMisdirection is just really niceMisdirection is just really niceMisdirection is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemStar View Post
I know the feels. Lost motivation to do anything myself.

People tell me to keep up with things and try I keep interest is set out when you do specific things and to have the goal I want to reach. Problem is, I don't know what my goal is, like you.
A lot of people I know are lacking motivation, and one of my friends doesn't believe it's right that ages 13 - 21 are so pressurising and has to be the time where you plan out your life and career. I don't think it's right myself, right now I just want to try a bit of everything but of course we can't because its now or never.
I'm sorry, what? How is it now or never? Certainly, by this time, we should have a general idea of what we might want to do, but we don't need to decide right this second. That's why we attend college rather than going out there right away. And even then, what's stopping us from going to where we ultimately decide to go in the future?

Old 02-27-2013, 11:14 PM   #7
Colorful CrAzYoNzZ
Pink Pearl Voice
Points: 7,909, Level: 59 Points: 7,909, Level: 59 Points: 7,909, Level: 59
User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 1x Chao User owns 1x Mr Saturn

My Mood: In Love
Colorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant future

Awards Showcase
NFF Ice Bucket Challenge Game Reviewer Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Royalty Poster Princess Award NFF 3rd Annual Award 
Total Awards: 10

Send a message via MSN to Colorful CrAzYoNzZ Send a message via Skype™ to Colorful CrAzYoNzZ Xbox Live Gamertag: z0mbii baItt
I stay motivated by knowing that if I don't do well, I lose my scholarship money and can't come back. Plus, I want to move out and live on my own as fast as I can.

It's okay to not have a plan. Just keep taking General Education classes and you should be able to find what interests you as you go. :3
Nothing wrong with that.

If you look everybody here is trying on new faces
And the ones that fit are surprisingly contagious
With a shiny new beginning we cordially invite you to
Into the dressing room.
Colorful CrAzYoNzZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:54 AM   #8
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 38,540, Level: 100 Points: 38,540, Level: 100 Points: 38,540, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Ice Bucket Challenge Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdirection View Post
I'm sorry, what? How is it now or never? Certainly, by this time, we should have a general idea of what we might want to do, but we don't need to decide right this second. That's why we attend college rather than going out there right away. And even then, what's stopping us from going to where we ultimately decide to go in the future?
Circumstances differ between people. I can't really talk about any private/personal stuff (obviously) but I can say that for JemStar she pretty much has to make up her mind before next year or it's going to be tough. I also know college is a lot different in the USA than the UK, but I'm unsure about Canada's system.

But yeah a lot of people can just decide careers and that stuff later and not necessarily as they hit college. My old Business teacher only started doing Maths at university when she was 30, after being a door to door sales person. & she's one of the smartest teachers I've met.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #9
JemStar
Konata's booty
Points: 5,528, Level: 47 Points: 5,528, Level: 47 Points: 5,528, Level: 47

My Mood: Sleepy
JemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud of

Send a message via Skype™ to JemStar PSN ID: BlackChilliBean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdirection View Post
It feels like its now or never. I'm sick of my dad for one telling me that I should know by now. I can't exactly afford to go to university again when I'm older if I change my mind. And no, I don't have a general idea, sorry to disappoint.
The only thing I'm decent at is art. That's some shit pay for me in the future - I can't draw on a graphics tablet, which a lot of real jobs in art require now. I don't have the patience to learn how to draw all over again either - it takes years and I'm going to university in 2014.
The other thing I like would be to go into science, and I'm not smart enough for that. I'm not saying I'm thick, I don't have the memory or brain for it.

Didn't want to explain all that and I have more to say on it but I'm jut whining now so whatever.

"I collect, not play." - Quinten talking about My Little Pony.

Last edited by JemStar; 02-28-2013 at 08:54 AM.
JemStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
Misdirection
Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemStar View Post
It feels like its now or never. I'm sick of my dad for one telling me that I should know by now. I can't exactly afford to go to university again when I'm older if I change my mind. And no, I don't have a general idea, sorry to disappoint.
The only thing I'm decent at is art. That's some shit pay for me in the future - I can't draw on a graphics tablet, which a lot of real jobs in art require now. I don't have the patience to learn how to draw all over again either - it takes years and I'm going to university in 2014.
The other thing I like would be to go into science, and I'm not smart enough for that. I'm not saying I'm thick, I don't have the memory or brain for it.

Didn't want to explain all that and I have more to say on it but I'm jut whining now so whatever.
I see. Frankly, the only thing I enjoy doing, like you, is art. But art takes years, and years to get better at it, enough to make a career out of it, at least. But don't give up on it. I recently got a tablet myself, and It honestly doesn't take that long to get used to. All you have to do is spend time with it, and get to know how to use it. My father pressures me, too. More than you can imagine, but thankfully I don't see him all the time. All you have to do, if you're passionate of it, is too keep doing it and work your ass off until you get to that point.
However, you're both right, I don't really understand you're situation, so I shouldn't say too much, but the way I see it we aren't that different in terms of perspective. But if time is of the essence, don't rush it. But never give up on it.
I don't know what it's like in the UK, but surely, you still have your whole life ahead of you, no?