Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Beyblade V-Force: Super Tournament Battle
Published by SuperGamecube64
03-02-2013
Author review
GraphicsN/A
StorylineN/A
Controls/GameplayN/A
SoundN/A
Average N/A%

Ah, Beyblades....these things were awesome toys when I was growing up. Sure, they're just stylized spinning tops with a battle anime to go along with them, but...well, that's why they were so cool. To be honest with you a Beyblade game is an awesome idea. You could easily create a game with near endless customization and and a multitude of play options...and then there's Beyblade V-Force: Super Tournament Battle, trying to accomplish none of these things.

So, what kind of game is this exactly? That's a tough question to answer. IT doesn't really fall into any category other than Beyblade, though I suppose if I were forced to categorize it, I would call it a fighting game - although very reluctantly. Each Beyblade has an HP gauge, and a spin gauge. The HP carries over from round to round, and if it becomes depleted, the Beyblade will shatter, earning your opponent 4 points (winning the game on default settings). Alternatively, if your spin gauge runs out, your Beyblade...well, stops. This earns your opponent 1/2 a point. The other way to score is to knock the other Beyblade out of the Bey Stadium, earning 2 points. There are no combos or anything to learn - you simply move your Beyblade with the control stick, and attempt to ring out your opponent using "Bit Beast Attacks". These animated attacks are entertaining for all of 30 seconds, after which you will likely just be skipping them.

The 4 point system mirrors real Beyblading, so that's cool but battles ultimately just come down to who has the best parts. There's also only maybe 30 parts in the whole game, so while customization is there, it's not really capitalized on. The game's difficulty is also reversed it seems. In the beginning you get a crap Beyblade and have to go up against good ones, losing constantly and saving up your money to buy good parts. Of course, buy the time you have good parts, you obliterate all that stand in your way, and the game becomes far too easy. You can also customize Beyblades to battle your friend, but because of the lack of parts, everyone is probably just going to have the same thing.

Graphically, the game looks decent and is authentic to the anime. Character portraits are ripped straight from it, and the stadiums and Beyblades have a photo-realistic feel mimicking battles of the show. All the stadiums in the game (I think there might be 4 in total) are based on real Beystadiums as well. While that is neat, why not experiment and give us some cool stadiums to play around with?

The only real merit this game has is its authenticity to the anime, and the fact that it supports 4 player matches, which can be somewhat fun. The game lacks any real customization or content, and even the multiplayer is only fun if you use Beyblades from the show instead of your own. If you see it for a couple bucks, there isn't any reason not to pick it up, but your Gamecube library won't be lacking anything in its absence either. What could have been a great idea ends up being a giant lack of creativity. Even if you're a fullgrown adult, you and your friends will have a much better time if you just go to a toy store and buy a Bey Stadium and a couple Beyblades for yourself.

Published by
Futtbuck Bro no.1
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64
Sponsored Links
By Ghostbody on 03-02-2013, 07:49 PM
Needs more dradle. God tier, OP, Dive kick status.

But really though, this could have been so much more than a cash in.
By SuperGamecube64 on 03-02-2013, 07:50 PM
I agree, it had a potential to be fun and basically a Custom Robo ripoff, but NOPE!
By Ghostbody on 03-02-2013, 07:58 PM
CR was so awesome. But my dual joysticks still belong to SEGA for the Virtual-On series. So many days in the arcade.
By Colorful CrAzYoNzZ on 03-02-2013, 09:48 PM
Hmmm...how should I put this?

Good review of a bad game, maybe? XD
Anyway, great review. I played the Gameboy Beyblade, and it wasn't impressive, either.
By Nintenduendo on 03-02-2013, 10:58 PM
The beginning of the review reminded me of a JonTron review. Excellent review.
By AlloftheAbove on 03-03-2013, 03:11 AM
The problem is that the games weren't based on the toys themselves; they were based on the show. And that kind of formula has not worked well in the past for devs. Good review, though.
By FrozenPhoenix96 on 03-03-2013, 08:26 AM
Oh my god, I have this game!
By SuperGamecube64 on 03-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlloftheAbove View Post
The problem is that the games weren't based on the toys themselves; they were based on the show. And that kind of formula has not worked well in the past for devs. Good review, though.
That's a good way to put it. This game had potential, and they wasted all of it.
Comment