Member Articles Members Articles

Comment

Article Tools
Phoenix Wright vs Apollo Justice
Phoenix Wright vs Apollo Justice
Published by Maxibon
03-06-2013
Post Phoenix Wright vs Apollo Justice

Was Capcom right to ditch Apollo Justice? With the recent announcement of Ace Attorney 5 returning to its original hedgehog-haired protagonist, I'm left wondering if poor old Apollo has gotten the raw end of the deal. Capcom seems happy to pretend that Apollo, Trucy, Klaiver Gavin, Ema Skye et al never existed and a perfectly decent, emotionally engaging game has been swept under the rug.

So let me take up my attorney's badge, your honour, and present my case for defence. The basic fact of the matter is that we never got the chance to get to know Apollo as well as we know Phoenix. After just one game, we have not gotten as emotionally attached to this plucky new lawyer. Phoenix had three games in which to endear himself to the player, and Apollo had just one. Added to this, the fact that Phoenix himself was a major player in the game meant that we were being constantly reminded of the old guard instead of being given the freedom to focus on the nee main character. All very unfair.

And it's not just Apollo Justice we'll lose in this return to the old gang, either: what about Trucy, Apollo's magician sidekick? What will happen to her? What about Ema Skye, everyone's favourite compulsive snacker? What about rock 'n' roll German Klaiver Gavin, who for my money is the absolute best prosecutor in the series (come at me, Edgeworth fans: your boy doesn't do guitar solos and you know it).

It's clear that the intention of Apollo Justice was to pass the torch to a new generation. By returning to the world of Phoenix Wright so quickly, Capcom is losing the potential inherent in the new cast. Think of what would have happened if the series protagonist had changed after Ace Attorney. We would never had met Pearl, Franziska von Karma or Godot. No Kurain Village plotline or Dahlia Hawthorne case: two brilliant storylines that only worked so well because we had got to know Phoenix and all the other characters in five cases before.

Ultimately it seems to me that the majority of Apollo hate came from the fact that he is not Phoenix Wright. Objection! That is precisely what makes him interesting. I have nothing against Phoenix, but new blood is vital for a series, especially one that was already on the right track! Don't forget, Ace Attorney started with Maya Fey handing the reigns of her legal practice over to Phoenix, and Edgeworth was haunted by the harsh expectations of his own mentor, Manfred von Karma. This is a game about legacies. Let it work out its major theme, and please tell me what on earth happened to Apollo and Trucy!
Published by
Maxibon is an unknown quantity at this point

Article Tools
Sponsored Links
By SuperGamecube64 on 03-06-2013, 05:04 PM
This a bit short...we aren't a magazine, so little articles like this aren't likely to attract attention. This really could have been said in a forum post, ultimately.
By AlloftheAbove on 03-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Felt more like a letter to the editor than an article, but I guess this section isn't just for Top 10 lists anyway.
By SuperGamecube64 on 03-06-2013, 05:53 PM
At least people are actually submitting articles again.
By Nintenduendo on 03-06-2013, 07:50 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to assume they're killing off Apollo and the gang by not mentioning them. If memory serves, I thought I read somewhere that Trucy is indeed mentioned at some point in AA5, and I wouldn't be surprised if Apollo stepped in to be the defense in one case ala the final case of Trials and Tribulations, when Edgeworth stepped in to help Phoenix. Ema was an important character outside of Apollo Justice, having been in Rise from the Ashes as Phoenix's partner, so she still has quite a bit of use.

I'm excited abot AA5. I hope Gumshoe returns.
By Konata on 03-07-2013, 07:57 AM
I always preferred Apollo to Phoenix.
Comment