Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Other Reviews

Notices

Other Reviews Playstation, Xbox, PC, or any other console game Review. Also console reviews too

Comment
 
Review Tools
Resident Evil 6
Resident Evil 6
Gears of Evil: Army of Two edition
Published by SuperGamecube64
03-15-2013
Author review
GraphicsN/A
StorylineN/A
Controls/GameplayN/A
SoundN/A
Average N/A%
Resident Evil 6

Resident Evil may not have invented the survival horror genre, but it certainly helped to modernize it (twice!) and for that, the franchise deserves respect. Resident Evil 6, on the other hand, deserves no praise whatsoever. It has soiled the very franchise of who's name it has been given, and I'm not sure I can forgive it.



So first off, I have to say that I saw this coming. Resident Evil 4 did bring more action elements into the franchise, but the game was still creepy and gritty. Resident Evil 5 took things a step further, losing even more of the horror theme. It was inevitable that eventually, Resident Evil would forget where it came from. RE6 is not a survival horror. CAPCOM themselves have referred to it as "dramatic horror". I prefer to just call it a load of bullshit (although judging by the game's logo, giraffe jizz might make more sense).



The graphics are truly gorgeous - i'll give it that much. Resident Evil 6 looks absolutely stunning, from the character models to the environments. This is the only merit I will give it. Everything else about this game is bad, and it's pretty fair to say this is one of the most 1 sided reviews I will probably ever write.



After an action packed introductory sequence, you must choose one of 3 campaigns to go through. They can be completed it any order. I started with Leon simply because he was the first on the list. In the beginning, I was actually impressed! There were classic zombies, albeit a bit faster, running around and gnawing on people. There were dead bodies lying in corners, and sitting on couches that would suddenly come to life, and try to devour you. The first couple areas were extremely atmospheric, including a graveyard crawling with corpses, but after that it was all downhill. RE5 like mini bosses starting popping up everywhere, and I found myself doing stuff like trying to recover a plane's altitude. By the end of his campaign, the game had basically become RE5 with worse mechanics. And so I jumped into Chris' story, expected the same - but to my surprise, his was just stupid from the start. Chris' story is all about the B.S.A.A. and how much of a badass military they are. His whole campaign plays like a second rate Army of Two clone. And then there's Jake, the newcomer. Jake is an unlikable asshole. I can find no redeeming qualities about this character other than the fact that he doesn't need a weapon. Jake's campaign is actually the most enjoyable because of his martial arts abilities, but again, it's just not Resident Evil. You can also unlock Ada Wong's campaign, but I hated the game too much to play it beyond that point.



The story is almost completely incoherent, and the only thing I got out of playing 3 campaigns is that the C-Virus, which is apparently some weird hybrid between the Veronica virus and the T-Virus has infected people. Chris is a badass soldier guy, and Jake is a mercenary and a jerk. That's literally the only thing I got out of it.



Somehow CAPCOM even managed to destroy the amazing gameplay presented in the last few Resident Evil games. For starters, they completely butchered the traditional herb system. I'm sure everyone reading this knows the old combos. green+ green, green to green+ green, green+ red, green+yellow+red....well, these combinations are still here, but they don't do what they once did. Basically, combining a red and green herd gives you 6 herbs which are made into a medicine power, and stored in pills. By tapping a button however many times, your character will shake them out like tic tacs and restore health equivalent to the number of herbs you swallowed. This is just plain dumb. If you're on the bring of death, you have to use 6 pills to get back to full strength. Why not just limit the number of herbs available, and keep the old system? Even gunplay is made worse somehow. now, when aiming, somehow the reticent tries to auto-target which causes you to think your laser is wrong and aim away from your target. You can also now buy and equip abilities now, which is completely stupid as opposed to the old gun upgrades.



Resident Evil 6 is a complete and total blunder. It is a hideous scar on a wonderful franchise. For the record, the entire game is co-op in case you want a friend to suffer with you. If this is the path Resident Evil is going to stay on then I want no part of it. You couldn't pay me to play this game again. Hopefully, CAPCOM will learn from Resident Evil Revelations, and pretend this never happened.
Published by
SuperGamecube64's Avatar
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,370
Rep Power: 192
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64
Sponsored Links
  #1  
By travis on 03-16-2013, 01:41 AM
This does not surprise me in the least. This franchise has been headed in the wrong direction for a long while now. Sad considering how great the first few games are..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
By Misdirection on 03-16-2013, 01:36 PM
If you knew that Resident Evil was heading in the shooter direction, why not anticipate it, and review it as such? Why write a review on every little thing that's different then the old games? I mean, mixing herbs and taking them wasn't dumb as it is? What about a condensed spray? What's wrong with the tablets?
The only thing difference is that they're taking Resident Evil way too serious these days, and the horror appeal is just tryhard.
Yes, Resident Evil has changed sine Resident Evil 4, and quite frankly, the games are embarrassing to play, but judge it for what it is; a solid, big budget third person shooter game, not as a survival horror Resident Evil.
I'm sorry but I find this review very biased.

Though, frankly, Wesker's son and Ada's clone is seriously the most embarrassing thing in RE since Sheva.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
By SuperGamecube64 on 03-16-2013, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdirection View Post
If you knew that Resident Evil was heading in the shooter direction, why not anticipate it, and review it as such? Why write a review on every little thing that's different then the old games? I mean, mixing herbs and taking them wasn't dumb as it is? What about a condensed spray? What's wrong with the tablets?
The only thing difference is that they're taking Resident Evil way too serious these days, and the horror appeal is just tryhard.
Yes, Resident Evil has changed sine Resident Evil 4, and quite frankly, the games are embarrassing to play, but judge it for what it is; a solid, big budget third person shooter game, not as a survival horror Resident Evil.
I'm sorry but I find this review very biased.

Though, frankly, Wesker's son and Ada's clone is seriously the most embarrassing thing in RE since Sheva.
To answer all your questions of "why?", this review, like all reviews is simply my opinion and my perspective. You don't have to agree with the review. I am not the god of video games whose almighty opinion should dictate everyone elses.

My opinion is that Resident Evil 6 is a bad game no matter how you look at it. Even if I chose to review purely as a 3rd person shooter, it is still a miserable failure.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
By SanePsychoSuper on 03-16-2013, 06:42 PM
As someone who doesn't enjoy the horror genre due to bad anxiety and who enjoys co-op gaming, I'm enjoying the game. (I'm playing with a friend.) I also have the brightness turned up, the game may be scarier if you have your brightness levels at the level it suggests. I've only gone through Leon's story and have only gotten a mission or two into Chris's. This is my first Resident Evil game though, so I'm not looking at it through jaded eyes as I have no previous experience. I agree that it is an action game, not horror, as I haven't woken up clawing anyone's eyes out yet. lol Although I did tip backwards in my chair the first time I heard a screamer.

I played the demo to RE5 before and hated it because I couldn't walk and shoot at the same time and I died within a minute.

And why is the characters' hair so shiny?!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
By Misdirection on 03-16-2013, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGamecube64 View Post
To answer all your questions of "why?", this review, like all reviews is simply my opinion and my perspective. You don't have to agree with the review. I am not the god of video games whose almighty opinion should dictate everyone elses.

My opinion is that Resident Evil 6 is a bad game no matter how you look at it. Even if I chose to review purely as a 3rd person shooter, it is still a miserable failure.
I never said I was disagreeing, I was just saying that I thought it was unfair that the only cons you reviewed revolved around Resident Evil's change. If I would have known that you disliked the game even as a shooter, that it was technically flawed, then I wouldn't have said anything. but unfortunately you never really touched upon the technical faults. Hence the comment.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
By SuperGamecube64 on 03-16-2013, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdirection View Post
I never said I was disagreeing, I was just saying that I thought it was unfair that the only cons you reviewed revolved around Resident Evil's change. If I would have known that you disliked the game even as a shooter, that it was technically flawed, then I wouldn't have said anything. but unfortunately you never really touched upon the technical faults. Hence the comment.
But I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGamecube64
Even gunplay is made worse somehow. now, when aiming, somehow the reticent tries to auto-target which causes you to think your laser is wrong and aim away from your target. You can also now buy and equip abilities now, which is completely stupid as opposed to the old gun upgrades.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
By Misdirection on 03-16-2013, 10:15 PM
But 9/10 complaints where the differences between it and the others. Is what I meant.
I can see now that you think RE6 is a shit game regardless so I'm just gonna duck out here, but I just thought I'd throw my hat in the ring.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
By Brandyn on 03-19-2013, 09:04 AM
I can never look at the RE6 logo the same way again.

-Brandyn
Reply With Quote
Comment


Currently Active Users Viewing This Review: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Review Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Resident Evil 5 Konata Multi-Platform Games 10 03-11-2013 02:17 AM
Resident Evil Revelations Director hints a Resident Evil game for the Wii U Megas75 Gaming News 1 10-24-2012 03:58 PM
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City aka Left 4 Evil...and RE4 Re-release Zero Gaming News 7 08-08-2011 02:26 AM
Resident Evil Zero Rai17 Classic Nintendo Reviews 4 06-04-2010 09:58 PM
Resident Evil 5 safcrhys Microsoft Xbox 1 03-18-2009 12:14 PM

NFF Youtube Videos NFF Facebook page

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Review powered by GARS 2.1.9 ©2005-2006
Nintendo Blog

Nintendofanforum.com is a Nintendo fansite and is not associated with or endorsed by Nintendo of America, Inc.
All trademarks and images belong to their respective owners.
Nintendo Wii