Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Cubivore: Survival of the Fittest
Published by SuperGamecube64
03-25-2013
Author review
GraphicsN/A
StorylineN/A
Controls/GameplayN/A
SoundN/A
Average N/A%

I want to start by saying that to this date I have never played a game that comes anywhere near Cubivore's level of weirdness. This is literally the most out there game I have every experienced in my life. From the game's very nature, to the physiology of its characters, I don't think it's possible for me to ever forget something this odd.

In Cubivore: Survival of the Fittest, you are a...er...I don't know what you are. In the beginning, you're a little pig head, but over time you evolve "limbs", and eventual die to be reincarnated as a chicken. You continue this pattern again, only to die and reincarnate into a bear. The object of the game is to survive, eat, and mate. These are literally the 3 things you will be doing over and over again.

Everything in Cuivore is a cube, kind of like Minecraft. The game's visual style is extremely minimalist, and there is barely anything to say about it. Character models have smooth textures, but all in all the game doesn't even bother taking advantage of the Gamecube's abilities. It's perfectly content looking mediocre, and that's a bit disapointing.

The basics of Cubivore revolve around the need to survive, and adapt. By killing other cubivores, you can eat their limbs and take on certain traits from them. Each area's boss will give you a limb that allows for a new ability such as running for example. You have to keep an eye on your hunger levels as you go about your day as well. Ultimately, your goal is to mate with as many females as possible and produce better adapted offspring.

Different creatures of different colors provide better stats in certain areas. If you have ingested a color you don't want, you can poop it out to get rid of its benefits. Yes, that's right, you can drop a load a this game. That's not the only surprising little detail either. As you rip limbs from enemies, square splotches of purple blood litter the environment. Nintendo made a game where you can take a dump, have sex with copious ammounts of females, and then rip enemies into bloody pools. What is wrong with this picture? IT's rated E, by the way.

The sound design is pretty weak, and other than a few squeaks and grunts, there's not much to talk about. The music is mostly ambient and relaxing, though. Al in all, Cubivore is very...unique. Id that a good thing? It can be, but Cubivore is just pretty boring. I really enjoyed it my first time through, but near the end I was forcing myself to finish it, and ever since I just haven't been able to play the game in the same way. I'm very sorry that this review isn't that comprehensive, but Cubivore is so out there that's it's very difficult to talk about. There is nothing to compare it to at all, and I've honestly never quite been sure what to think of it. The game is hard to come by, and you may have to pay a minimum of $50 to experience this odd game. It's worth playing for its weirdness alone, but once the "shock value" wears off, it gets really stale.

This image is actually in the manual, I swear.
Published by
Futtbuck Bro no.1
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64
Sponsored Links
By Misdirection on 03-25-2013, 10:24 PM
I love how you went into it with serious expectation haha!
I want this game so damn bad. I got a chuckle out of your review.
By Konata on 03-26-2013, 11:44 AM
This looks scary as hell :L
By Misdirection on 03-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Comment