Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > General Chat > Debate Forum

Notices

Debate Forum This is the Debate forum engage in serious debates here.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 58,232, Level: 100 Points: 58,232, Level: 100 Points: 58,232, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

My Mood: Woot
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 
Total Awards: 19

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
Let's try this one more time....

THIS TOPIC IS ABOUT GAY MARRIAGE. OPINIONS WILL BE SHARED. FEELINGS WILL BE HURT. IT IS UP TO YOU TO HANDLE THOSE EMOTIONS LIKE AN ADULT, AND I WILL NOT HESITATE TO INFLICT PUNISHMENTS ON THOSE WHO CANNOT. WE ARE ALL ADULTS, WE ARE ALL MATURE, AND WE ARE ALL FRIENDS. DISCUSS THIS MATTER AS SUCH.

The supreme court is currently talking about gay marriage and rather or not it should be legalized. I know we have had gay marriage topics before, and they have usually turned into flame war. Please don't let that happen here

As for my opinion on the matter, instead of typing it out I'm going to copy and paste the words of my History Professor, Mr.Lewis. I have great respect for this man, and he has been a great benefit to me since we met. I agree with him almost wholly on almost every matter we have ever discussed. He has expressed his opinion, which is the same is mine, in a way far more elegant than I ever could, and so I will choose to simply post his.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Lewis via Facebook
This is long, but I invite you to read completely to the end.

So far three of my gay friends have said, in some form or fashion, if you don’t support same sex marriage or my life choices, I should unfriend them. I suspect that other may feel the same way, but have not said so. I have been pondering and debating on how to respond. Alas, at the risk of offending people (my gay and Christian friends), here it goes... and I shall be as honest as possible.

I am personally opposed to same sex marriage. As a Christian, I consider it sin and morally wrong. Yes, I hear plenty of people ask why would God condemn what two people do who love each other? For the same reason that the Almighty condemns sexual impurity in heterosexual relationships: Because it is against His commandments.

However, as a Libertarian I do not think that the government should set restrictions upon most things, including marriage. Politically, I am all for lessening marriage restrictions of all kinds. The only marriage requirements that I would expect from a government are that the participants be CONSENTING, legal adults. That's it!

This is one of the very few places in which you will find a contradiction in my beliefs. While I personally, emotionally, spiritually, and in all other ways oppose same sex marriage, intellectually I support it INSOMUCH AS I believe in a limited government that maximizes personal freedoms and responsibilities. This would allow each of us, as individuals, to make our decisions… much the same way that God has given each of us the freedom (perhaps burden) of making our own choices to decide what we will do in this life.

Having said all of that, and admitting my internal struggle between my heart and my brain, I ask a question of those who have invited me to unfriend them: Have I EVER allowed my beliefs on same sex marriage to affect the way I have treated you and/or your partner? Or have I treated you the exact same way that I treat everyone else? Have I ever done anything to indicate that I think less of you for your life choices?

While I ask that of my gay friends, I ask this of my Christian friends who oppose same sex marriage: Why are we not doing more to strengthen traditional marriages? Is allowing a gay partnership of 12 years to get married any more offensive than what Kim Kardashian or Tom Green/Drew Barrymore called marriage? Is a gay committed gay marriage any more offensive to God than those who get married and divorced as often as they buy cars? What about those arguing the immorality and sinfulness of homosexual sex yet turn a blind eye to straight-sex immorality? Are not both wrong in the eyes of God?

The biggest problem with marriage right now is that so many people are caught up in the question of gay marriage that no one is talking about strengthening traditional marriage… which is what the argument among Christians should be!

Simply put, there are problems on both sides of the argument. The overall point for me is this: According to my Christian beliefs, this life is the place where I am tempted and tested to see if will submit my will for God’s will. My goal is submit my will to God’s. Regardless of what your choices are in life, my goal is to treat everyone exactly the same. Unless you are a fan of the University of Florida.

Please know that I wrote this dissertation in a spirit of love and honesty. If my beliefs are offensive to you, I am sorry.

So now I put the ball in your court, folks. If you believe that I have somehow treated you differently because of your lifestyle or beliefs, then you are welcome to unfriend me. I would be disappointed to lose any friends because everyone who is my friend on facebook is someone that I know personally and I have valued your friendship and I enjoy keeping up with you still. Alas, should you want to unfriend me, I understand. Please accept my love and best wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
You wield the banhammer like Thor wields Mjolnir.

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs

Last edited by SuperGamecube64; 03-27-2013 at 06:08 PM.
SuperGamecube64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 37,030, Level: 100 Points: 37,030, Level: 100 Points: 37,030, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 
Total Awards: 13

Pretty good read, regardless of agreement or not. I'm not against same sex marriage. I guess I was raised to treat it as something pretty serious, in the way that being against two men or two women marrying is the same as being against a black person marrying a white person. AKA, being against gay people is just as bad as being racist. Obviously that's not entirely true, I really can't stand people who have something against people just because of their colour or race, but I wouldn't "dislike" someone for just being against same sex marriage. It's also pretty rare to find people who are against homosexuals around here, although that's probably due to people just not making their thoughts public.

Even if I was against same sex marriage for religious or any reason, I'd still think it shouldn't be illegal. Regardless of mine or anyone else's views, people deserve the right to marry who they want; who they love. I'm not entirely sure on the whole religious thing though. I'm not sure if following God, the bible, is subjective or not.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
SanePsychoSuper
Basic Contradiction
Points: 2,973, Level: 33 Points: 2,973, Level: 33 Points: 2,973, Level: 33
User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Cheeky
SanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to behold

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Profile of the Month Award Signature of the Month Poster NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelorette Award Princess Award Profile of the Month Award 
Total Awards: 7

I have quite a few LGBT friends. I am Christian. I am also bisexual. It just happened that I fell in love with a man and married him. I believe that LGBT deserve the same rights that everyone else gets. You have to remember, even though the Bible is God's word, it was also written down by man, and has been translated several times. Things could have been added, or removed, who knows. I know that my God is loving, and forgiving. He would not punish someone for following their heart. You do not choose to be gay or strait, it is how you were made. God would not fault you for being how He made you. That is what I truly believe.

Edit: There's also the thing with the separation of Church and State. In regards to when the state see's as a legal marriage should have nothing to do with what the Church see's as a marriage.
SanePsychoSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 56,382, Level: 100 Points: 56,382, Level: 100 Points: 56,382, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

My Mood: Gaming
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 15

Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 3282-3036-3021 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: Brandyn_Johnson
I'm not against it. I mean it's not like it affects me so I don't see why they shouldn't get the same priviledge. It's 2013 for goodness sake.

I also agree with Lewis about how even us heterosexuals treat marriage like a joke these days anyway, so the sanctity of marriage argument is moot.

Nintendo/PlayStation Network ID: Brandyn_Johnson

Ultra Street Fighter IV mains: Gen, Dudley, Ryu
Tekken Revolution mains: Steve Fox, Kazuya
Tekken 6 mains: Steve Fox, Jin, Hwoarang
King of Fighters XIII team: Ryo/Kim Kaphwan/Joe

Last edited by Brandyn; 03-27-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Brandyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 58,232, Level: 100 Points: 58,232, Level: 100 Points: 58,232, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

My Mood: Woot
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 
Total Awards: 19

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
I think the government should butt out of marriage entirely though, be it gay straight or whatever. Why should I have to get their consent to spend my life with someone? It doesn't involve them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
You wield the banhammer like Thor wields Mjolnir.

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs
SuperGamecube64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 22,408, Level: 93 Points: 22,408, Level: 93 Points: 22,408, Level: 93
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

Government shouldn't even be regulating on other people's sexual orientation, if people want to marry someone of the same sex they should be allowed to do so.

As for religion, I'm christian, yet I don't have a problem with gay marriage, for starters I was raised to "love thy neighbor" and second in the end it's not my place to judge

Plus, what your professor said abou Kim Kardashian and co
Old 03-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
Colorful CrAzYoNzZ
Pink Pearl Voice
Points: 7,909, Level: 59 Points: 7,909, Level: 59 Points: 7,909, Level: 59
User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 1x Chao User owns 1x Mr Saturn

My Mood: In Love
Colorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant future

Awards Showcase
Game Reviewer Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Royalty Poster Princess Award NFF 3rd Annual Award Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 9

Send a message via MSN to Colorful CrAzYoNzZ Send a message via Skype™ to Colorful CrAzYoNzZ Xbox Live Gamertag: z0mbii baItt
I agree wholeheartedly with Mr. Lewis. Very smart man.
I don't agree with or condone same sex marriage, however, I have plenty of gay/bi/lesbian friends that I love just like my straight friends. I don't let their sexual orientation effect how I treat them. They are people too, and as long as they aren't hurting me or anybody else, why should I care? In my opinion, they have to answer to God, so who am I to judge?

If you look everybody here is trying on new faces
And the ones that fit are surprisingly contagious
With a shiny new beginning we cordially invite you to
Into the dressing room.
Colorful CrAzYoNzZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:02 AM   #8
Miggles
Le Migs
Points: 3,385, Level: 36 Points: 3,385, Level: 36 Points: 3,385, Level: 36

Miggles has much to be proud ofMiggles has much to be proud ofMiggles has much to be proud ofMiggles has much to be proud ofMiggles has much to be proud ofMiggles has much to be proud ofMiggles has much to be proud ofMiggles has much to be proud of

Awards Showcase
Review of the Month Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 2

Xbox Live Gamertag: Miggles92
Should you really be making a thread in which you admit that people will get their feelings hurt?
Old 03-28-2013, 04:05 AM   #9
Mascara
Back again again
Points: 1,946, Level: 26 Points: 1,946, Level: 26 Points: 1,946, Level: 26

My Mood: Flirty
Mascara is a splendid one to beholdMascara is a splendid one to beholdMascara is a splendid one to beholdMascara is a splendid one to beholdMascara is a splendid one to beholdMascara is a splendid one to beholdMascara is a splendid one to beholdMascara is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
Princess Award NFF 3rd Annual Award 
Total Awards: 2

I think it's gross that some talk about homosexuals as if they're a hassle or a kind of person that we have to keep under supervision. They're not kids or people with disabilities - they don't need the government to decide what's best for them. They're completely able-bodied adults who should be treated as such. The government shouldn't be able to choose which rights they get and which rights they don't get.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #10
Zero
WISE FWOM YOUR GWAVE
Points: 3,859, Level: 39 Points: 3,859, Level: 39 Points: 3,859, Level: 39
User owns 1x Poke Ball User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Z-Saber User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Nintendo DS
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote

My Mood: Amused
Zero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Poster Super Member Royalty 
Total Awards: 4

Two people of the same sex getting married does not affect Zero's life whatsoever. Therefore, Zero does not care what they do. People should be able to marry whoever they want; it's between them.