Nintendo Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Bloodrayne
Bloodrayne
Published by SuperGamecube64
04-01-2013
Author review
GraphicsN/A
StorylineN/A
Controls/GameplayN/A
SoundN/A
Average N/A%
Bloodrayne

Vampires have been a fantasy staple for years now, and before being ruined rather recently by the Twilight Saga, vampires were pretty badass. In fact, I'd say Edward and crew are more akin to woodland faeries than vamps, and the protagonist of this game would probably cut them all in half. Bloodrayne is shameless in its violence and the way it presents itself, but is that ultimate a good thing or a bad thing?

In Bloodrayne, you take control of Rayne. She is a half vampire member of a group called the Brimstone Organization, which is a good entity. So, while she is a blood sucking demon, she's not actually evil. The game starts in a Louisiana swamp (which is possibly a candidate for worst designed level in the history of gaming, by the way), but before you know it Rayne is in Germany, hunting down Hitler's Nazi officers. As we all know, Nazi's are bad - but these Nazi's are even worse. They're using the occult in an attempt to strengthen their forces. Only Agent Bloodrayne has what it takes to cut and shoot through their ranks, and suck them dry.

The story, as you can tell, is absolutely ridiculous. It isn't helped at all by the horrible dialogue , which is filled to the brim with cheesy one liners. They're also a bit overused, and you'll probably get sick of hearing them. Bloodrayne is an action game, and most of your time is spent fighting off enemies and navigating the levels, but you never really do anything too interesting, or that hasn't been done before. By killing enough enemies, you can activate Bloodrage and do ore damage, and if you're running low on health you can drink the enemy's blood to recover. Jumping onto an enemy and draining him is pretty cool the first time you do it, but it, like all of the rest of the mechanics, gets old quick. The game is very short, but with all this repetition, perhaps that is a good thing. It saddens me that there are things this game could have done to lessen the monotony, and yet it does not. For instance, Rayne has a grappling hook which can be used to pull in unsuspected victims and feast on them. How many uses can you think of a grappling hook? Hit unreachable switches? Scaling a high wall? using that aforementioned ambush ability for some stealth segments? I honestly don't know how some of these ideas didn't go through the developer's heads.

The graphics are lackluster, and even for their time, they are really bland. character models are jagged for the most part, and environments are all drab and look basically the same. The thing they put the most effort into was blood, blood effects, and how many segments an enemy model can be sliced into. There are some neat effects, like blood getting on Rayne's shoes and leaving tracks, but in the end the game is just ugly. You'd have though they would at least have put some effort into Rayne, because she's a pretty attractive character, and actually rather cool. It's too bad they didn't put more effort into both her model and her personality. The music is close to nonexistent, only popping up on rare occasions, but for the most part is just subtle beats. when it does come into play.

This game is a shameless cash in on the fact that people like blood and perverted things. Body parts fly everywhere as gallons of blood litter they walls and floors. Pretty much every female in the game is showing off her assets, and the game chooses some very interesting physics to help them with that. Not to mention that rather sexual sounds Rayne makes as she drinks her victims blood. Funnily enough, Rayne says late in the game that she is opposed to senseless violence.

I don't know how easy it was to take this game seriously in 2002 because I didn't play it back then, but it's nearly impossible to do it today. The game is a shameless cash-in on vampires, violence, and sexuality. If this was being written in 2002, I'd probably be telling you steer clear of this game, but now it's so cheap that it's always fun due to the fact that it is bad. For $3, I got to kill Nazi's as a vampire. I think that was worth my $3. And at least Rayne's hot. In the end, this game is pretty horrible when looked at retrospectively, but playing it now is hilarious. If you can find it as cheap as I did, it's worth your time to at least get some giggles out of it.

Sponsored Links
By travis on 04-02-2013, 01:32 AM
I played this game and enjoyed it. It wasnt an awesome game, but it was worth the time i spent playing it. Even being an average game, it was still far better than many of these modern games.
Last edited by travis; 04-02-2013 at 02:00 AM..
By SuperGamecube64 on 04-02-2013, 01:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
I played this game and enjoyed it. It wasnt an awesome game, but it was worth the time i spent playing it. Even being an average game, it was still far better than many of these modern games.
It seems like every other post you make is knocking modern games as a whole. I have to ask which ones you have played, because just like all other gaming generations, there are good modern games, and there are bad modern games.
Last edited by SuperGamecube64; 04-02-2013 at 03:54 AM..
By travis on 04-02-2013, 02:06 AM
I have had a ps3, an xbox 360 and a wii. For those systems i have played most of the "great games" that have come along. Grand theft auto, resident evil, elder scrolls, etc and so on. I love madden every year. That seems to be the one game they keep doing better. The rest are a joke. The new castlevania game was pure torture for a fan of the series. Even the new zelda games are getting weak. Elder scrolls has an option to reduce the difficulty? What is that about? The one game that i loved was civilization revolution. I was in the top 20 playing that game on xbox live. And i didnt cheat... So i have played these new games. I actually gave them more chances than they deserved.
By SuperGamecube64 on 04-02-2013, 02:07 AM
Quote:
I have had a ps3, an xbox 360 and a wii. For those systems i have played most of the "great games" that have come along. Grand theft auto, resident evil, elder scrolls, etc and so on. I love madden every year. That seems to be the one game they keep doing better. The rest are a joke. The new castlevania game was pure torture for a fan of the series. Even the new zelda games are getting weak. Elder scrolls has an option to reduce the difficulty? What is that about? The one game that i loved was civilization revolution. I was in the top 20 playing that game on xbox live. And i didnt cheat... So i have played these new games. I actually gave them more chances than they deserved.
The biggest problem is that you played the top rated games. Call of Duty for example is one of the worst series out currently, yet it scores 9 and 10s.
By travis on 04-02-2013, 02:13 AM
^ You seem to be a guy that knows the old as well as the new. So i will trust your opinion on this. Im sure you know what kind of games i would like. Throw me a few bones? I will give them a shot. Hell, i may as well at this point.
By SuperGamecube64 on 04-02-2013, 02:15 AM
Quote:
^ You seem to be a guy that knows the old as well as the new. So i will trust your opinion on this. Im sure you know what kind of games i would like. Throw me a few bones? I will give them a shot. Hell, i may as well at this point.
Give me a system and a genre, and I'll send you a PM
By travis on 04-02-2013, 02:24 AM
Alright. Let me think on that. Thanks.
By SuperGamecube64 on 04-02-2013, 02:38 AM
Quote:
Alright. Let me think on that. Thanks.
Sure, just know that I only owned a PS3 a short time, so I don't know much about its exclusives.
By Brandyn on 04-02-2013, 09:28 AM
What platform was this on? The graphics say Nintendo 64 but 2002 implies GameCube...
Comment