Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Media Entertainment

Notices

Media Entertainment Discuss Movies, Music, TV, Books, Comics and anything related to Media Entertainment.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 58,729, Level: 100 Points: 58,729, Level: 100 Points: 58,729, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

My Mood: Woot
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 
Total Awards: 19

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
What IS metal?

So, most people know I'm a metalhead. I also work for a metal venue (it's not steady work by any means, and I barely get paid, but I get free shows so it's worth it). If you aren't into metal, I'd like to inform you that it is possibly the whiniest fanbase in existence. It puts gaming to shame as far as hipsters and crybabies are concerned.

Metal has evolved over the years and there are now a whole bunch of sub genres like nu metal, thrash metal, screamo, etc. This has effectively divided metal fans into factions, unfortunately. So my question for you is what IS metal? I don't mean what bands are metal, but what does it mean to be metal or a metal head?

To answer with my own opinion, metal is self expression of the primal emotions that society forces us to put to the side. Anger, hate, and flat out violence. No matter how much you push those things to the side, they are part of you and who you are. Metal allows you to express these emotions is a safe (for the most part) way. Metalheads were once a sort of brotherhood, and in many ways, they still are, as long as you don't like a band or sub genre they don't. That's where it's starting to fall apart in my opinion.

I posted this to my facebook earlier today:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGamecube64
Why do people hate on EVERY mainstream metal band? Just because a band has become successful does not mean they are horrible puppets of the media. Yes, it is true that some metal bands got worse after they got really popular, Metallica for instance just wasn't the same after Master of Puppets; But every single successful band is not some horrible disgrace to metal. In the end, if you like what you listen to, don't worry what other people have to say about it. Like Slipknot? cool. Like Metallica? Cool. Like Some indie metal band haven't heard of? Cool. Like Kittie? Ew, but cool. My point is that even if "metal fans" say a band sucks, it ultimately doesn't matter if YOU enjoy them. Music is different for everybody, and that's the beauty of it, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
You wield the banhammer like Thor wields Mjolnir.

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs
SuperGamecube64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 38,043, Level: 100 Points: 38,043, Level: 100 Points: 38,043, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 
Total Awards: 13

For some reason metal fans always seem to want to trash talk every other genre and say only metal is music because it takes a lot of time, and apparently time means more talent. Pop fans and rap fans etc insult other genres too, but saying music is only real music if it takes a long time to make is stupid.

Sorry I can't answer the actual question properly, not a fan of metal really. I'd say I recognise something as metal when it sounds like rock but heavier, and the singer is louder, I guess.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 23,476, Level: 94 Points: 23,476, Level: 94 Points: 23,476, Level: 94
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

WiiU ID: Megas75
What IS Metal?: Megas XLR

This will be the only response you'll get from me
Old 04-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 58,729, Level: 100 Points: 58,729, Level: 100 Points: 58,729, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
I think you misinterpretted the question anyway, konata, but I know what you're driving at.

Quote:

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs
Old 04-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
Misdirection
Dragon Tamer
Points: 902, Level: 16 Points: 902, Level: 16 Points: 902, Level: 16
User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x SNES Controller

My Mood: Paranoid
Misdirection is just really niceMisdirection is just really niceMisdirection is just really niceMisdirection is just really nice

PSN ID: Sonikku1994
I listen to all sorts of metal. Traditional Metal, Metallic Hardcore, Nu Metal, Alternative Metal, Power Metal, Symphonic metal, Melodic Death, I could go on and on.
What you said is partially true, metal may be a way of expressing yourself, your opinions. But honestly every genre can be. ONLY if you want it to be. I've seen so many type of metal that anything goes, in terms of musical themes. Want expression? All That Remains. Want loudness? Slipknot. Want ridiculousness? System of a Down. Want sheer speed, rather than heaviness? DragonForce.
Metal is a huge umbrella of a genre. It depends on what the artists beliefs are, and what they want to do with it. It's like saying that every RPG out there should involve magic and sorcery because Final Fantasy did it.

Want to talk whiny fanbases? Punk rock. "They're not self sufficient, they can't be punk"

Also screamo is an offshoot of emo, which is derivative from punk, not metal. Jussayin

PREPPARE TA DAA
Misdirection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:53 AM   #6
Lukario
Strangers
Points: 12,417, Level: 72 Points: 12,417, Level: 72 Points: 12,417, Level: 72

Lukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Super Member NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster NFF 3rd Annual Award Super Member NFF Artist Joker Inventor Award 
Total Awards: 10

Xbox Live Gamertag: deadDEFINED
The only types of metal I really like are stoner metal, sludge (and atmospheric sludge/post-metal), and black metal (and post-black). The other genres really just don't do anything for me. With that being said, I definitely think that there is a vocal minority of metalheads that give the fanbase a bad name. The pretentiousness of metalheads in regards to not only their own genre, but music in general is just astonishing. All the time, I see metalheads trying to legitimately argue that black metal and death metal are pretty much the only redeemable genres and that everything else is inferior. Same thing goes with them shtting on folk metal and symphonic metal because they're not br00t4l enough. That group (the black metal and death metal fanbase) is probably the worst fanbase out there, more pretentious than any other one I know.

Metal, though, is just a genre. Some people make it their lifestyle, but it never seems to be a positive one. It just seems to be one of intolerance and hatred. It's why the insult manchild is almost always tossed around whenever someone starts talking about metal, because they can't seem to understand that there are other genres out there that have as much artistic merit as metal does. Metal isn't our generation's classical music, if anything would be that it would be jazz, but it's stupid for them to constantly compare different genres in order to discredit them.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:59 AM   #7
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukario View Post
The only types of metal I really like are stoner metal, sludge (and atmospheric sludge/post-metal), and black metal (and post-black). The other genres really just don't do anything for me. With that being said, I definitely think that there is a vocal minority of metalheads that give the fanbase a bad name. The pretentiousness of metalheads in regards to not only their own genre, but music in general is just astonishing. All the time, I see metalheads trying to legitimately argue that black metal and death metal are pretty much the only redeemable genres and that everything else is inferior. Same thing goes with them shtting on folk metal and symphonic metal because they're not br00t4l enough. That group (the black metal and death metal fanbase) is probably the worst fanbase out there, more pretentious than any other one I know.

Metal, though, is just a genre. Some people make it their lifestyle, but it never seems to be a positive one. It just seems to be one of intolerance and hatred.
It's why the insult manchild is almost always tossed around whenever someone starts talking about metal, because they can't seem to understand that there are other genres out there that have as much artistic merit as metal does. Metal isn't our generation's classical music, if anything would be that it would be jazz, but it's stupid for them to constantly compare different genres in order to discredit them.
We at Unity Hall (venue I work for) consider ourselves a family of sorts. We legitimately care about each other and are there for each other. We all treat others with respect, both at our venue and away from it. But I think you're mostly talking about the guys that wear all black all the time, and try to look as retarded as possible in public just to be an eyesore. I mean, wear spikes and all that shit too, but not ALL the time EVERYWHERE on my body every day of the week.

Quote:

Old 04-09-2013, 02:21 AM   #8
Lukario
Strangers
Points: 12,417, Level: 72 Points: 12,417, Level: 72 Points: 12,417, Level: 72

Lukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Super Member NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster NFF 3rd Annual Award Super Member NFF Artist Joker Inventor Award 
Total Awards: 10

Xbox Live Gamertag: deadDEFINED
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGamecube64 View Post
We at Unity Hall (venue I work for) consider ourselves a family of sorts. We legitimately care about each other and are there for each other. We all treat others with respect, both at our venue and away from it. But I think you're mostly talking about the guys that wear all black all the time, and try to look as retarded as possible in public just to be an eyesore. I mean, wear spikes and all that shit too, but not ALL the time EVERYWHERE on my body every day of the week.
Yeah, you're right, but do you think that the reason they act like that is because it's part of the genre's ideals (black and death metal)? I've met plenty of metal fans that were really open-minded about everything, but it seems like everyone who I've personally met that was a metalhead was either a huge fan of the earlier metal like Metallica, someone who just liked the music and didn't really care too much about the culture, or they were one of those NSBM people that were pretentious about everything. The first two are generally open-minded when it comes to music, but the last group seems to be the most obvious of the three.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
Misdirection
Dragon Tamer
Points: 902, Level: 16 Points: 902, Level: 16 Points: 902, Level: 16
User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x SNES Controller

My Mood: Paranoid
Misdirection is just really niceMisdirection is just really niceMisdirection is just really niceMisdirection is just really nice

PSN ID: Sonikku1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukario View Post
I definitely think that there is a vocal minority of metalheads that give the fanbase a bad name. The pretentiousness of metalheads in regards to not only their own genre, but music in general is just astonishing. All the time, I see metalheads trying to legitimately argue that black metal and death metal are pretty much the only redeemable genres and that everything else is inferior. Same thing goes with them shtting on folk metal and symphonic metal because they're not br00t4l enough. That group (the black metal and death metal fanbase) is probably the worst fanbase out there, more pretentious than any other one I know.

Metal, though, is just a genre. Some people make it their lifestyle, but it never seems to be a positive one. It just seems to be one of intolerance and hatred. It's why the insult manchild is almost always tossed around whenever someone starts talking about metal, because they can't seem to understand that there are other genres out there that have as much artistic merit as metal does. Metal isn't our generation's classical music, if anything would be that it would be jazz, but it's stupid for them to constantly compare different genres in order to discredit them.
I disagree with this completely. There is countless people from any preferred genre that do this. Every single person, I'd say, has one genre that they are biased between. It's just that the way this society functions, the people who dedicate themselves in this respect (I say these people because I've never met one in person), would class them together in a group, and label themselves as metalheads and never step out side that box chalked in on the floor. They never expand their horizons to anything else, all metal. But that's not to say all people associated with metal live angrily, I adore metal and I'm the happiest mother ****er around. The same thing happens with pop. People who like that genre discredit metal and rock because it's to heavy or something. Either way, it's inevitable. Might as well laugh it up, instead of getting worked up over it.

PREPPARE TA DAA
Misdirection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #10
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 38,043, Level: 100 Points: 38,043, Level: 100 Points: 38,043, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 
Total Awards: 13

^Tbh I listen to over 10 different genres or something like that, and have a ton of albums for each, and then for the rest I can still find something I like, even with metal or rock. I'm not really bias for any one genre.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is online now   Reply With Quote