Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Other Reviews

Notices

Other Reviews Playstation, Xbox, PC, or any other console game Review. Also console reviews too

Comment

Review Tools
Sonic Generations
Sonic Generations
Sanic goes back in tiem to fight mister Floaty McBlandBland
Published by Misdirection
04-08-2013
Author review
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
10%10%10%
Controls/Gameplay
70%70%70%
Sound
55%55%55%
Average 59%
Sonic Generations

Alright, welp, since I'm about two years late to the twentieth anniversary party, might as well give some insight on this in April, completely random time of the year that happens to follow 2011.
tl; dr: I wanna do this because I like to maim goats.
Now that I got your attention, let's do this with an introduction to the lovable *cough*... I'm sorry, likable blue hedgehog that we all know today. SANIC THE HEDGEHOGGGGGG!!!
He started out in 1991 on the Sega Genesis.

He made a game in 2011 on the PlayStation 3, XBAX 360, and for some reason personal computers, called Sonic Generations. That's where SEGA shat out their controversial "return to greatness" claim that has been thrown out there time and time again.

The story begins with a peaceful, nostalgic stroll through green hill zone with, wait for it.... Holy shit. CLASSIC SONIC!!!

Yeah in case you weren't well aware due to internet information being announced like it always does these days, and the fact that this game came out two years ago, you'll know that they brought back Classic Sonic in this game. Why? Iunno. Crack money? That, exactly?
Actually the real reason they brought him back was to harckon back to the classic feel, because, wouldn't you know it, you go back to levels from ALL of Sonic's history! The Genesis, DreamCast, and modern day consoles (Wii, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 era), so you now there's TWO SONICS TWO WAYS TO PLAY <actualtagline>!

Now I know what you're thinking, how da feq did CLASSIC SONIC meet with Brillow Porcupine man, I mean, Modern Sonic? The answer is simple, TIME HOLES! Now what de feq is a time hole, you ask? Ask this game's monster, time eater:

Don't worry, there's no spoilers at all about this dude, because they gave you absolutely nothing to cling on to. So in other words he's just a generic enemy that involves giving an actual thread to weave this mess of an idea together.
His boss fight sucks, too.

Anyway, I'm skipping the embarrassing "Sonic's birthday" gimmick, so look that up on your own time. Basically, the entire concept of this game couldn't be any simpler. Run. Run. Jump on platforms, run. Well, that's the level design, anyway. To progress in this game, for some reason, you need to find yourself a key, a chaos emerald, which you obtain by defeating a rival such as shadow or silver, completing missions, etc. It's all divided into the era's I mentioned above, each with doors that meet up to this criteria. Three missions, a key, and an emerald. Genesis has levels such as Green Hill Zone and Chemical Plant, whilst DreamCast has ones like City Escape (My favie), and Seaside Hill. Cause Heroes was totally on the DreamCa-
Ok anyway once you're done all that, and collect the last chaos emerald, you fight the boss, and you're done. Insanley simple, and a ridiculously short game. That's another thing, Sonic can't nail length these days. Unleashed was to long, Colours, and Generations, it's like "wait that was it"? You could beat this game first day if you played it long enough. But word of advice. Mute the TV when fighting Time Eater. You'll go insane.

When you're done you get to look upon the most embarrassing moments in Sonic history!

Now, I believe I touched upon it already. Is this what will bring back Sonic? For some people, Idfk. Not for me, though, I don't really care because I still play SA2. Let me go on record by saying that I got this game over the summer of 2012, and loved the **** out of it until today. I still do, and in fact it's the first game that I ever got a platinum trophy. But I've noticed that it's still as broken as a griever's heart. Allow me to verify.

Let's start with it's concept and execution. Sonic Unleashed implemented a terrible role-playing esque leveling up system that improved your abilities as you progressed. Well, thankfully, this game alleviated that, but instead replaced it with an atrocious skill system. Let me explain how it works. You have 100 "points", and you can equip special skills. One is a "Bubble shield" for classic sonic, and another is acceleration that makes you go faster. Each of these skills costs a certain amount of points to equip, and if you exceed 100, you've reached the limit. Herein lies the problem, albiet and optional thing to do, shouldn't Sonic just be as good as he is already without having to add a cheap role playing gimmick? You can unlock Super Sonic in this game, ok, but guess what? The only way to use him is to equip this skill. That's bullshit, if you ask me. Sonic never needed that.

Gameplay wise, it's solid, you can breeze through it multiple times without anything bad happening, but Classic Sonic's jump arcs are like something out of Castlevania, you cannot control your jumps. At least not as fluently as you would in a Genesis game. It's so stiff, and he jumps like he's got ten tonne weights around his ankles, so it becomes a problem when you're trying to jump on a platform sometimes. I can't really explain this, but if you have the game, pay close attention to his jump arcs, and then play Sonic 1. In the game, preferably, because you can unlock it.

Brillow Porcupine man controls just like he does in Sonic Unleashed, except way, WAY better. Albiet a bit floaty, you actually have control over him, and you feel as if you can actually move other than straight forward, without slipping into a stupid pit r some shit. Now let's talk about the level design. Oh boy.

More times than not, the platforming on Classic Sonic's levels are a sick joke. The level pictured here, seaside hill, as classic sonic is rage educing, let me tell you. You want to get on that platform? Try to jump. Let the game laugh at you. This physics engine, and the poor level design... oh. All the rage. Also there's alterate routes that you can take, and there is SO many places that require you to make a split second jump to get to another part of the are. And, again, with the control, it's easier than it sounds.
Think of a classic platform game like Sonic. Then add Castlevania 1's control scheme.
To be fair the actual levels are, quite breezy, and you'll probably enjoy most of them if you're just breezing through it, but this is just my perspective on the absolute gimmick of bastardizing classic platforming.

As I already mentioned, Bluey McBluedog shared the same control style as unleashed. So whaty'a do? Here it comes....
"PRESS SQUARE!!!
PRESS SQUARE AMG YESSSSSS YEEEESSS!!! YE-"
No. Not necessarily.
":c"

Whilst you can boost the **** out of the game, in fact, you're going to since it's reflex, it sometimes requires you to stop and think, to either plan out a jump correctly, make a quick decision, or just decide which path to take.

There is actually a lot of depth to Spiky McBluBlu's level design, and it's truly a visual wonder to behold. The graphics in this game are gorgeous, and the brightness, vividness, and beauty of the scenery is just a wonderment to the eyes. And the feels. Hello again, Green Hill Zone! Hello agin Space Colony Ark <onlyinbossfightbutstill>! You look beautiful! :,). Only problem in ruining the nostalgia factor. They looped some of the songs way to soon. You only hear the first chorus of Live and Learn before it goes back to "Can you feel time... moving through your mind". That's just ****ing SADISTIC! THAT WAS MY CHILDHOOD DANGIT!!! Give me the full ****ing version, or none at all! I can't sing along to this... :,c

Now, I think we all know that graphics and overall beauty can't make up for gameplay. While this game is very solid, and you'll go through this game no problem, there are so many things that just take you out of the experience, and glitches that can be fatal. Today, whilst playing, I found three glitches, in a row, that either killed me, or left be discombobulated, and the only problem is I could see why some of them happened, In the truck chase from City Escape, when you're whipping around all those corners, the game eats so much shit that sometimes it locks your character model in place, then lets you advance.
This is all just because of spotty programing, and at this part, I actually fell behind the truck. What happend after this was, well, I caught up to the truck, and then at the part where you have to run on the side of the wall, Sonic RAN towards the other side, fell off of the side of the screen, and died. Now this is gonna blow your minds <maybe>:
This has happened on numerous occasions. The dash panel hiccup, to, it's like they couldn't even program this part of the game, and decided to leave it without patching these up. And like I said, Classic Sonic's part had horrendously unfair jumps, and overall falt patched together as nothing more than a gimmeck. If they'd have spent more time and effort on it, it could have been amazing. Everything, whilst amazingly fun (when it's not having a seizure or being stupid), feels half assed. The story, the concept, everything.

Overall, the game, after going back to it, had fantastic aesthetic design, and... questionably solid gameplay. What do I think of this game, overall? It's really good, and frankly, these glitches only would show up every once in a while. The story is absolute cheese, but it is an amazing breath of fresh air. I don't feel that SEGA and Sonic Team have got the hang of it just yet. But, you know... time heals.

Please, don't take this word for word!! As I said, I actually got the platinum trophy in this game, and from someone who isn't a completionist that should speak loads about how much fun this game can be, even through torture. Oh, god, Time Eater, why can I not get hit once, wh- SHUT UP AMY!!! I KNOW IT'S A HOMING SHOT COMIGN!!!FUCCKK!.
Uh... *ahem*. Let's recap on what I liked and disliked, before I suffer post-traumatic stress disorder.

Pros:
- Being a long term Sonic fan it's quite nostalgic
- Most of the level design in Glowy McBluBalls' levels are quite fun and intuitive
- Great replay value, and it'll take you, give or take a year to get bored, even after the game is 100%.

Cons:
- Could use much more polish
- Classic's platforming / general level design.
- Equipable Skills. Take em out back, and end them with your Winchester I say. (seriously, no more gimmecks like this, Sega, please.)
- Bastardizing my childhood anthems.

Now, please, don't let my review affect your buying descision. The game is fun as ****, and you'll love it if you're a hardcore Sonic fan. But after time I just started to notice these things, and I wanted to state my perspective on how unfortunatly Sonic's quality dropped over the years. However, if you where going to buy it, do yourself a favour and do. While the cutscenes may be cheesy, you get this warm, touchy feel inside that makes you happy. Then you fight time Eater again and rip out your skull.

It was really good, but Sega, please, drop the hedgehog engine, and drop the cheesy dialogue. Take more time into your games, and stop appealing towards kids. I never want to see floaty ass Sonic stuck behind an over-passing object again, just due to camera problems. I can't stand it... ;-;

POLISH YOUR DANG GAMES! NUFF SAID!

Again, buy it if you where already planning to. This is my perspective, and I thank you for reading it!
Published by
Dragon Tamer
Misdirection is just really niceMisdirection is just really niceMisdirection is just really niceMisdirection is just really nice
Sponsored Links
By SuperGamecube64 on 04-08-2013, 09:40 PM
I actually thought this game was really good.

Anyway, you should avoid things such as "tl;dr" and other abbreviations in your reviews. You should also stay away from "role playing" (*cough*). There's a big difference between a proper review and a simple opinion posted in a thread.
By Misdirection on 04-08-2013, 11:05 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
10%10%10%
Controls/Gameplay
70%70%70%
Sound
55%55%55%
Average 59%
It is good. I've just been finding many things that could have used some touching over with a fine-toothed comb. More polish, you know?

And uh... why is role playing game analogies bad for the integrity of a review? I was comparing it to what I felt it was. That's part of the game, that it has a role playing element.
A review is an opinion. No? I don't see why this doesn't qualify as a proper review?
By Brandyn on 04-08-2013, 11:20 PM
My little sister feverishly buys every new Sonic game because she refuses to give up on him and hopes for his big comeback. Bless her heart. She got this one for Christmas. While at first I simply glanced over it, I was pleasantly surprised when I actually played it. I thought it was a great game and indeed possibly the start of that Sonic comeback. My only complaint is that the Modern levels have too many sidescrolling segments. Other than that, I found it to be pretty solid.
By Misdirection on 04-08-2013, 11:48 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
10%10%10%
Controls/Gameplay
70%70%70%
Sound
55%55%55%
Average 59%
Actually that's one thing that also irked me was the sidescrolling in 3d levels. I though that if you did that with classic sonic, why bother still keeping that staple in the modern levels?
Oy vey.
By Konata on 04-09-2013, 07:23 AM
I didn't really like this game, but I don't like any Sonic game. Apart from Heroes and Secret Rings, but I only liked them slightly, and I played them when I was young.
By Miggles on 04-09-2013, 07:40 AM
This review felt... weird, to me.
By Misdirection on 04-09-2013, 08:29 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
10%10%10%
Controls/Gameplay
70%70%70%
Sound
55%55%55%
Average 59%
A good weird, or...?
By Brandyn on 04-09-2013, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdirection View Post
A good weird, or...?
It lacks the professional polish a review should have. There's alot of text lingo in here and the tone doesn't seem very serious, it's more like something you would post in a Thread discussion about the game or if you were IMing someone about it.

But you're just starting out in the Review arena, it's a common thing many new writers here did myself included.
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 04-09-2013, 10:09 AM
Really enjoyed this game. One of the few I had my eyes on buying, ever since Megas showed me a gameplay video of Chemical plant 2d/3d before it came out. Really good game, just yeah, story may not be the best, but who cares? I like pretty much ever level in this, except maybe sky sanctuary is a low point. Other than that, it's all great. 2d & 3d feel great!

Also 40th place in the world or something like that if I remember right for Chemical plant 2d :P
Comment