Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Tetris and Dr. Mario
Tetris and Dr. Mario
What happens when two of the greatest puzzle games on the Nintendo Entertainment System combine together on a 16 bit system
Published by steveg1988
04-10-2013
Author review
Graphics
80%80%80%
Storyline
25%25%25%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
90%90%90%
Average 74%
Tetris and Dr. Mario

Tetris and Dr. Mario, a combination that feels as natural as chocolate and peanut butter, Fish and Chips, and liver and onions. The games are presented here in an updated 16 bit form.

Graphics: It is Tetris and Dr. Mario, graphics are the least of your worries, but this cartridge updates the familiar, and makes it like you are viewing the original NES games through a nostalgia filter. The graphics come through crisp and clean through my Sony Trintion-Wega Television via composite cables on my SNS-101 (SNES Jr.)

Sound: Here is where i think the game gets interesting, the remixed soundtrack is both familiar and different at the same time, For example on Doctor mario the song "Fever" has a bit more of a bass line to it but also has a bit more going on in the background, still the same track but...you pick up on the ambiance a bit differently as you notice that the sound is a lot richer than what you are used to. It is not a radical shift away from the original unlike smash brothers on the game cube, but it is not the same as the 1990 original. As i said with the graphics, this game feels like it is the nostalgia filter version of the original. Now when it comes to tetris i feel that track 2 is the one to really stand out among the bunch for changes, it has a more techno beat to it unlike the original version which feels like something that was transcribed from classical music or folk music.

Gameplay: It is Tetris and Dr. Mario, it plays like they did on the NES, and that means tight controls and lots of fun as you attempt to master the game.

New Features:
The two player mode on Tetris from the Tengen version, something that the officially licensed version really lacked. For Dr. Mario the new feature is the ability to play two player split screen with tetris on one side.

Replayability: Both games are addictive, you will waste a day playing tetris until you get a few game overs in a row. You cannot win, tetris has the house advantage over you.
Published by
Goomba
steveg1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sponsored Links
By Konata on 04-10-2013, 12:39 PM
I don't usually criticize reviews but this all felt like a statement rather than a review. "The graphics are good. The gameplay is good. The soundtrack is good. It has a two player mode". That's pretty much everything you said, but less detailed. You're also assuming people know what the game is like on the NES. If someone read this review because they'd never played it, they wouldn't know what the game was like at all.

Slightly off-topic; Chocolate and peanut butter..? :L
Also the line about your TV made me think this was an advertisement lol.
By SuperGamecube64 on 04-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Konata hit the nail on the head except for the fact that chocolate and peanut butter are delicious together. This review doesn't tell anything at all, vut it is your first review, and we all start somewhere.
By Konata on 04-10-2013, 04:45 PM
^Must be an American thing, I've never heard of those two being together until now.
By SuperGamecube64 on 04-10-2013, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konata View Post
^Must be an American thing, I've never heard of those two being together until now.
Reeses peanut butter cups?
Comment