Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Articles

Notices

Member Articles Members Articles

Comment

Article Tools
The joys and shortcomings of becoming a "weeb".
Nipahhh
Published by Misdirection
04-13-2013

My recent conversation with Branydn the Branydwich, over a "sophisticated" match of Brawl inspired me to shed light on the pleasures and shortcomings of becoming a weeabo / otaku / whatever you damned well please calling it. I prefer Weeb.

What is a weeb? I'm sure everyone knows this, but it's a loose term used to define someone who really likes Anime, Manga, Video Games, and the like. Is it a lifestyle? **** no. Are there any specific traits? Not really, but take a lesson from Konata Izumi and you'll no what a weeb / otaku can be. Except, maybe not as hardcore as that.

I suppose there are differences in the terms "Otaku" and "Weeabo". Again, not that they really matter, but consider the following, if you're interested. If not skip, whatever:

Otaku is a term actually coined in Japan, and can be condescending, even. It refers to someone who plays a lot of games, watches anime, etc. Basically the Japanese "geek" or "nerd". But in the west, it means the same thing, but the term "Weeabo", or "weeb" , means the exact same thing, but also expands into a case of adoring Japanese culture. Otaku is also used sometimes.

Now that we got that out of the way, time to actually get to the meat of this.

Enjoying Anime is one thing, but when you start to develop a taste for it, and want more, is when shit gets crazy. If you're like me, and have several friends that love anime, among the sites you go to online liking, and shooting you recommendations, you're never short of anime to watch. In fact I've got a huge backlog going on. However far you go into this loosely named "obsession", is up to you. However, this is one weeb's perspective on how crazy shit can go. :3

How did I start out? Welp. My girlfriend is crazy into anime. I was already partially into it, I only watched a few series and have read several manga back in the day. Where did that lead me to today?
Over 100gbs of anime on my computer, a small area dedicated to japanese merchandise in my room, fifty dollars blown on a figurine of Miku Hachune, potentially buying the the Miku Hatsune PSP game, and the Black Rock Shooter game when it comes out, and the sad, sad thought of not having a job to afford any of it.

Tragic, I know. Wipe your eyes, and listen, because It gets better! I'm going to enlighten you on all of the amazing super happy fun kawaii desu desu sparkly moments being a weeb entails!!!

Now, when your friends (Yes, weebs have friends) also enjoy anime, it can get really funny discussing all of the moments with your favorite series and whatnot.

Plus, I find, people who engross themselves in anime are typically more understanding and happier people then the people who can't find it in themselves to lose their selves in what they love. Now, I know there is going to be some debacle by saying that, but consider the following:

If you have friends that you can enjoy anything together with, you're immediately a happier person as it is, because you are communicating and connecting with your friends over something, which gives both that moment, and the series you are connecting over greater meaning and value. Anime is one of those things for me.

Plus, Anime by itself has a way of connecting with you, the viewer, entirely through it's characters. You become attached to certain characters, and you develop a way to adore the show, even if you don't necessarily like the show, regardless. Anime helps you be more open to things, and not over analyze every little thing before going into it.

One thing you might encounter is having to watch an Anime in it's original Japanese. Black Rock Shooter was an example of a time where I wanted to watch it so badly that I just said "**** it, I'm not waiting for the dub", and ****, it wasn't bad at all. The series was fantastic, but reading it really didn't cause any affliction in anyway. Once you get into the story, your mind just melds with the story and characters. Just the same as it would be if it was dubbed. So whenever people give shit for people watching it in a language they can't understand, remember that some dubs are absolute shit (I'm lookin' at you, Sonic X!), and sometimes great series don't have dubs at all. I don't get what's so hard to understand what people don't grasp on this.

Short and simple, anime gives you something to do, something to spend several hours on, and something to connect with people over. It makes you feel happier about getting something from your favorite series, and makes you want to spend all your maannies on to get it! Genius marketing? Perhaps. But it legitimately makes you feel amazing when you collect something that you've been really wanting.
Don't like anime? Great, fantastic, don't bash people who do. All they're doing is expressing their love for their favorite things.

Essentially what anime is, an escape. Everyone needs an escape, right? Even if that escape rapes your wallet! Or in my case loose change. As long as you are having fun with it, and it is a healthy way to escape, then it's truly a fun, and amazing hobby to get into.
That's not to say you will. I know just as many people who do like anime, as the people who don't. It's simple taste, just like anything else, but I just wanted to enlighten you all on my perspective.
Because, **** yeah.

How hardcore into it you go depends on you. Not everyone gawks over Hentai / Yuri / Yaoi, haha, but honestly, if you're willing to go that far, I don't care. Go for it. I like Yuri, and my girlfriend like yaoi, but casual shipping isn't bad either. More power to ya.

Now if you'll excuse me...

Tsukurimashou, tsukurimashou! Sate sate nani ga dekiru ka na!

hope you enjoyed the read. lol
Published by
Dragon Tamer
Misdirection is just really niceMisdirection is just really niceMisdirection is just really niceMisdirection is just really nice

Article Tools
Sponsored Links
By SuperGamecube64 on 04-13-2013, 07:21 AM
So, isn't the term weaboo offensive? I thought weaboo meant "OMG I SPEAK 3 WORDS OF JAPANESE BUT I ALSO EAT TOP RAMEN EVERY MEAL BECAUSE IT'S JAPANESE AND I USE CHOPSTICKS AND WATCH NATURO SOMETIMES! SASUKE IS KAWAII! HNNNNNNG!"
By Konata on 04-13-2013, 07:21 AM
Yeah - it's a very loose term. I actually had a pretty big "argument" (I call it argument because the other guy did nothing but provide useless comments that made no sense) over where otaku originally came from. I'm in the group of people who believe it for what it literally is; it comes from "taku", which is the Japanese word for house. People in Japan pretty much shun, or generally dislike these people that watch anime, play games all day, in their house. Which is why they use the word for house. The O makes it honorific blah blah. Anyway it made it's way to America why the term is so loose, because apparently people can't simply take a meaning and keep it. My friend was trying to say that American's invented the term Otaku, and it basically meant you were a weeaboo. So y'know. For that term, I'm in the group which, again, believes what it came as at first; someone who loves Japan so much, they want to be Japanese. They act like it they're Japanese, they're obsessed with the music, games, culture, language etc. But yeah this guy was having none of it, and I ended up just blocking him because there's no point in arguing with opinionated people.

Good read, btw.

Edit; Lol SGC pretty much summed up the majority of weeaboos.
By SuperGamecube64 on 04-13-2013, 07:28 AM
I can't say I fully understand. I have never wished I was Japanese, nor do I want to be Japanese. I think it's kind of strange to wish to be a different race. I do like Japanese culture, and food and obviously I like a lot of anime. Would I want to visit Japan sometime? Certainly! Would I want to live my life there? Not for more than a few years.
By Konata on 04-13-2013, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGamecube64 View Post
I can't say I fully understand. I have never wished I was Japanese, nor do I want to be Japanese. I think it's kind of strange to wish to be a different race. I do like Japanese ulture, and food and obviously I like a lot of anime. Would I want to visit Japan sometime? Certainly! Would I want to live my life there? Not for more than a few years.
It's pretty extreme really. I wouldn't say you're a weeaboo, and I'm not either. But I know some people IRL who act like they want to be Japanese and it's pretty sad.
By SuperGamecube64 on 04-13-2013, 07:43 AM
Did you know there are people in Japan obsessed with America? I didn't know that until my cousin enlisted in the Marines. He was stationed in Okinawa, and he ended up dating this chick that was obsessed with American culture. Burgers and Fries are their ramen, and they watch movies all day. the ****?
By Konata on 04-13-2013, 08:01 AM
Haha wow. Pretty weird. I wonder if anyone is obsessed with British cul.. oh yeah, we have no culture.
By SuperGamecube64 on 04-13-2013, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konata View Post
Haha wow. Pretty weird. I wonder if anyone is obsessed with British cul.. oh yeah, we have no culture.
By Misdirection on 04-13-2013, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konata View Post
Actually, my friend is a huge anglophile. He adores British culture. he's also a huge fan of Dr. Who. Which is probably where that rooted from.

And I don't know if it's so much wanting to "be" a certain culture, that's not the case with me, I'm damned well pleased with my life over here. It's just that I have a fascination with the culture. Nothing more.

Weeb isn't offensive if you don't take it seriously.
By Colorful CrAzYoNzZ on 04-14-2013, 10:20 PM
I used to consider myself an Otaku, I guess. I was obsessed with anime and manga and even liked to pretend I was an anime character on most days. xD I still love anime and manga, but I'm not as into it as I once was because school is in the way, and I can't find time for it. I do wish I could be Japanese or live in Japan sometime. ...What? Japanese girls are cute! xD

I'm more interested in the actual culture and history than "OMG ANIME!"
I kinda want to teach English in Japan, so I'm slowly teaching myself Japanese. It could be beneficial for more than teaching...I can watch anime in Japanese and still understand it. Plus, learning another language is good for your mind and helps improve your understanding of your own language, believe it or not! :3

And another thing, I started eating ramen because it was Japanese, kept eating it cause it was cheap and I liked it...eat it now cause it's cheap and I like it. I also like Japanese music because it seems to flow so much more beautifully than American music, and helps reinforce my learning of the language.

Anyways, funny article, I liked the pictures and your little comments. xD
Comment