Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > General Chat > Debate Forum

Notices

Debate Forum This is the Debate forum engage in serious debates here.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:22 AM   #1
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 58,302, Level: 100 Points: 58,302, Level: 100 Points: 58,302, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

My Mood: Woot
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 
Total Awards: 19

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
Are subcultures ultimately good or bad?

If you need examples of what a subculture may be, some examples would be goth/emo, punk, otaku, steampunk, etc

I ultimately think they're great because they give people a sense of individualism, even if they're ultimately conforming to something. The reason I bring this last point up is that many of these subcultures claim to be non-conformist, and I guess they kind of are, but counterculture would be a better term.

Anyway, what's your opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
You wield the banhammer like Thor wields Mjolnir.

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs
SuperGamecube64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #2
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 37,089, Level: 100 Points: 37,089, Level: 100 Points: 37,089, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 
Total Awards: 13

I think they're conformist when you have people jumping from one to another only in an attempt to be "unique", even though there are thousands of people just like them. I'm not really part of any subculture tbh.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
JemStar
Konata's booty
Points: 5,528, Level: 47 Points: 5,528, Level: 47 Points: 5,528, Level: 47

My Mood: Sleepy
JemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud of

Send a message via Skype™ to JemStar PSN ID: BlackChilliBean
A lot of them that I've met or seen seem to just conform in their own group. They all explain how they're individual and unique, but they just seem to act as that subgroup basically tells them to.
It's great if it can help them to feel part of a group or boost their confidence though, I just don't think it's a good thing if they're unkind to other groups or people because they aren't part of their group though. I was like that while I was 13/14 - it isn't a good attitude to have and I'd probably slap myself from then if I could now.

"I collect, not play." - Quinten talking about My Little Pony.
JemStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 58,302, Level: 100 Points: 58,302, Level: 100 Points: 58,302, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
It also kind of depends on what the subculture is. Fr example, some emos are just in it for the fashion but certain parts of the community promotes self harm.

Quote:

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs
Old 04-24-2013, 05:47 AM   #5
travis
Agent of the system
Points: 835, Level: 15 Points: 835, Level: 15 Points: 835, Level: 15

travis has a spectacular aura abouttravis has a spectacular aura abouttravis has a spectacular aura about

I have heard of these examples you gave. But really have no idea what any of it is really about.

We had a name for people like this when i was growing up.. But its no longer proper to say anymore i guess. Lets just say people like that didnt stay like that long. A good ass kickn usually helped em get back on track.

Feeling sorry for these people or trying to relate, is a waste of their time and yours. It makes you a enabler. And thats worse than being the kind of fags these people are to start with..

I think the problem is that everybody thinks they are special these days. Wake up! Very few of us on this planet are truly special, brilliant, super awesome, or a gift from god. Get over yourself, go to work and shut the **** up.

Thats just my opinion though.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase

I'd take it a step further. I don't even think the celebrities and whatnot are any more special than us. People just put them on a pedestal and make them appear that way.

Anyway, it was never apprpriate to make fun of someone for being part of a subculture, so I'm not sure why you think it used to be. You are, in fact, part of a subculture yourself - 2 even. Gaming has developed into a Sub-culture, and hasn't really changed much since the 80's. You also claimed to be a metal head, which actual shares only minor differences with goth and emo, in fact, the goth subculture listens to much of our music, and emo just focuses more on sadness than being pissed. It's pretty hypocritical to call them "fags".

Quote:

Last edited by SuperGamecube64; 04-24-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
travis
Agent of the system
Points: 835, Level: 15 Points: 835, Level: 15 Points: 835, Level: 15

travis has a spectacular aura abouttravis has a spectacular aura abouttravis has a spectacular aura about

If gaming is a subculture.. I am not a member, im a founder If you started playing before the word "gamer" was invented, i think you helped start the thing, lol. Back when i was young it didnt matter what you were playing. You were playing the nintendo. Even if it was an atari, lol. Thats what people used in place of the word gaming.

But really, what you listen to and what you do isnt who you are. I wouldnt settle for being told who i am. The only person who knows you is you. And you can change at any time.

What does that mean?

It means that the matrix cannot tell you who you are! Wake up and follow the white rabbit...
Old 04-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #8
Nintenduendo
Estupidez
Points: 16,499, Level: 82 Points: 16,499, Level: 82 Points: 16,499, Level: 82
User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Super Mushroom

My Mood: Cold
Nintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster NFF Annual Awards Profile of the Month Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Poster NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
But really, what you listen to and what you do isnt who you are.
Then who are we, and what is our identity?

Nintenduendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #9
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 37,089, Level: 100 Points: 37,089, Level: 100 Points: 37,089, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 
Total Awards: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintenduendo View Post
Then who are we, and what is our identity?

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #10
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase

I know what Travis is alluding to, though I think he is going a bit father than necessary with it. Ultimately, the only labels you wear are the ones you put on yourself, but labels have nothing to do with "waking up" from government conspiracy (BTW, we conspiracy theorists are also a subculture).

Quote: