Nintendo Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > General Nintendo Section

Notices

General Nintendo Section All general Nintendo content here.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 57,486, Level: 100 Points: 57,486, Level: 100 Points: 57,486, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

My Mood: Woot
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 
Total Awards: 19

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
Is it time for Nintendo to change their image?

Watch the video in full before leaving any comments. What are your thoughts?

Check me out on Facebook!
Like action figures? Click here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
You wield the banhammer like Thor wields Mjolnir.

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs
SuperGamecube64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 35,117, Level: 100 Points: 35,117, Level: 100 Points: 35,117, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award NFF's 4th Annual Award 
Total Awards: 12

I think he has a point. It doesn't help that "Wii" is basically in "Wii U". People thought the Wii was for kids, they'll think the same about the Wii U.

Also "you all but ignored your hardcore market". That implies they didn't ignore it. Pssh.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
Zero
8-bit Roots
Points: 3,489, Level: 36 Points: 3,489, Level: 36 Points: 3,489, Level: 36
User owns 1x Poke Ball User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Z-Saber User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Nintendo DS
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote

My Mood: Amused
Zero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Poster Super Member Royalty 
Total Awards: 4

Zero still despises the "Wii" name all around. Nobody is ever gonna consider something with the name "Wii" in it as a hardcore console. It just sounds stupid and too much like "Yay, lets play video games and have lots and lots of fun! Wiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!" Revolution would've been such a better name. Nowadays, the very name Nintendo has taken a backseat to Wii title and logo... and that's just sad.

...Nintendo needed to change their image a long time ago. And they already have tried to drop the kiddie image a few times before. Anyone remember how Resident Evil 4 and all other RE titles were exclusive to the GameCube for a while, and Nintendo stating they wanted to adjust their image to cater to a more mature audience? That was a deal they struck with Capcom in attempts to do so. It seems like they put a little effort into this sort of thing every now and then, though it never seems to stick for long.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 35,117, Level: 100 Points: 35,117, Level: 100 Points: 35,117, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award NFF's 4th Annual Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
It seems like they put a little effort into this sort of thing every now and then, though it never seems to stick for long.
Yep. They give us quite a lot of "hardcore" third party titles for the Wii U, and then announce crap like Wii Fit U and Wii Party U. They're never changing.

Edit; look at the games that we know of that are either out or in development for the Wii U by Nintendo.

Untitled Mario Kart
Wii Fit U
New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
Pikmin 3
Untitled The Legend of Zelda
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Untitled 3D Super Mario game
Smash Bros. U

No Metroid, no Kirby, no F-Zero, the list goes on. I mean obviously things like Kirby are considered to uphold the kiddie look, but it's the fact that the genuine hardcore audience of Nintendo WANTS these games. They're trying to focus on "hardcore" but it's the audience who aren't fans of Nintendo that they're reaching for. Hopefully E3 will change this.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
Misdirection
Dragon Tamer
Points: 715, Level: 14 Points: 715, Level: 14 Points: 715, Level: 14
User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x SNES Controller

My Mood: Grumpy
Misdirection is just really niceMisdirection is just really niceMisdirection is just really niceMisdirection is just really nice

PSN ID: Sonikku1994
I would like to know what it means by "kiddie" console. I can entirely agree that they really should stop focusing on the party games and all of that shovelware crap, and focus on more exclusives. But, you know, actually staying true to them. No Yoshi's epic yarn, or riding the nostalgia tram, either. Like, the new Zelda game... It's... a Link to the Past alright. When will that charm wear off?
When you're just repeating the same formula as another game, even then, it makes that IP look disoriented.
They should change up there image, I think, but frankly I personally don't care that much. I don't mind the Wii because I don't judge something on a ****ing game console.
"Oooooh that's such a kiddie console eueguie"
Makes me want to choke a bitch.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 19,852, Level: 89 Points: 19,852, Level: 89 Points: 19,852, Level: 89
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

I agree that they should change their image, but at the same time I don't. I think if anything they should try to be an "everyone's console", like the SNES was which found a good balance in both kid-friendly and more hardcore(god I hate that word) games.

The problem I have with them trying to be more mature however is that I think the closest they've had to that was the Gamecube(barring the design of the actual console itself), housing practically every single mainline Resident Evil game along with the likes of Eternal Darkness, Twin Snakes, Killer 7, Fire Emblem, Metroid Prime and etc., a darker take with certain big name IPs like Pokemon(Colosseum), Starfox(Assault) and Zelda(Twilight Princess), and securing a few big 3rd party multiplats(possibly moreso than the N64) it looked like it would be able to take on Xbox and PS2(especially since it was stronger than the PS2). What ended up happening was the GC becoming Nintendo's weakest console in terms of sales as well as being last place of that gen(3rd if you still count the Dreamcast). Becoming more mature personally isn't the best way to go imo

Again, I think the best way for Nintendo to go is to find a good middleground offering a good balance of kids games and more hardcore games. Try going for both 3rd party games like Sonic and Evil Within, Bioshock and Rayman, if you catch my drift. Put your IPs at full force, we know there will be more Mario, Kirby, Zelda, Pokemon, but you know what a lot of hardcore gamers would love to see? Metroid. Starfox. F-Zero. etc. Maybe even make some new IPs that will a lot of Hardcore fans attention(as it looks, Wonderful 101 has done a good job of doing that). In the end, change but don't lose yourself, it's having more variety between the two that'll help them in the long run, especially since their competition is likely to do the same(I say that because I might as well add that it's why Sony showed Knack as the first PS4 game instead of Killzone or InFamous)

Also I don't care how late it is, just PLEASE CHANGE THE NAME OF THE WII U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Megas75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
Nintenduendo
Estupidez
Points: 15,963, Level: 81 Points: 15,963, Level: 81 Points: 15,963, Level: 81
User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Super Mushroom

My Mood: Cold
Nintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster NFF Annual Awards Profile of the Month Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Poster NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 6

I think people have trouble disassociating Nintendo's brands from being kiddy. Yeah, Mario is hellaciously kid-friendly, and so is Pokemon, Zelda, Star Fox, Animal Crossing, Pikmin and to an extent Metroid. The problem is that none of these games aren't KIDZ ONLY! The entire game industry was built on the shoulders of these franchises. They're just as synonymous with gaming as Call of Duty, Doom, Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid.

I think Nintendo doesn't need to change their image. What they tried to do back when the Wii came out was become a company that released games for everyone, no matter what. When that backfired after Wii Music, they realized the people they needed to market to was their fanbase, the gamers. I think what Nintendo's tried to do is make sure that there's enough in their games for their fanbase to sink their teeth into, but keep it to where new gamers can easily jump in and experience feelings that we all had when we were first introduced to Nintendo.

So I don't think it's Nintendo's fault that their image looks kiddy. I think its what other gamers think about Nintendo that doesn't help. And that's not Nintendo's fault. If what they're doing works, and if they've tried other things to mixed results, then why would they change it?

Nintenduendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #8
Brandyn
The Man
Points: 53,513, Level: 100 Points: 53,513, Level: 100 Points: 53,513, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

My Mood: Cool
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 15

Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 3282-3036-3021 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: Brandyn_Johnson
I am honestly a little tired of the Hardcore vs. Casual "factions" in gaming these days. I mean anyone who dedicates a considerable amount of time and money to gaming is a gamer regardless of what they play.

But I do agree Nintendo has too much shovelware on its newer consoles. Like Megas said, it's more of a balance thing. Nintendo just needs to focus on becoming a console for everyone, it doesn't have to particularly be for just kids or adults. For the sake of making profit though, they just need to reach a middle ground.

While it's true that Nintendo tends to cater more to kids and family friendly gaming more than Xbox and PlayStation, we already knew that yet we accepted them, anyway. I mean you have to start gaming somewhere, and Nintendo helps usher in the kids who then grow up to play more mature games.

As a little kid, I literally only had Nintendo consoles because that's all I wanted. Then as I grew up, PlayStation became more appealing to me because I was growing and wanted more mature experiences in gaming. That doesn't mean I don't love Nintendo anymore, it just means I've branched out. But I still thank Nintendo for it's "kiddy" games I played as a kid because it got me into gaming in the first place.

Nintendo/PlayStation Network ID: Brandyn_Johnson

Currently Playing:

Super Street fighter IV: AE
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Brandyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:02 AM   #9
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintenduendo View Post
I think people have trouble disassociating Nintendo's brands from being kiddy. Yeah, Mario is hellaciously kid-friendly, and so is Pokemon, Zelda, Star Fox, Animal Crossing, Pikmin and to an extent Metroid. The problem is that none of these games aren't KIDZ ONLY!
I agree. The guy in the video says that part of the reason it's failed is because the kids who played NES/SNES have grown up and want more mature games, yet almost everyone here is well over 18, and we all still want to play "kiddie" Nintendo games. They may look kiddie, but they're still really fun. It's that a lot of gamers are ignorant to it, see the packaging in the store, think "lol, kid games", and move on.

In fact, I was in GAME the other day, and some guy was looking at the Wii U section with his friend. He began pointing to each Wii U game and said "Shameless port, shameless port, shameless port, more shameless ports, and games for kids".

Old 04-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
Zero
8-bit Roots
Points: 3,489, Level: 36 Points: 3,489, Level: 36 Points: 3,489, Level: 36
User owns 1x Poke Ball User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Z-Saber User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Nintendo DS
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote

My Mood: Amused
Zero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Poster Super Member Royalty 
Total Awards: 4

Just to clarify, Zero doesn't associate Kiddie with Casual. Pokemon, for example, is a kid's game. Wii Fit, Sports, etc. are casual games. And yes, all of us Nintendo fans, even the older ones, still want our Mario Bros., Pokemon, Zelda, etc. But we also want more mature games now, too. And we want all the same features for those games that you'd get on the competitive consoles. The problem is that Nintendo doesn't market their system in a way that projects an image that welcomes much M-Rated third-party support. Developers are skipping out on the system because of that reason, among other WiiU hardware related issues (which could be rectified through firmware updates).

So despite the fact that we, as Nintendo fans, actually do want to play all those games on a Nintendo platform, it's not happening because they don't have the right focus when it comes to marketing. Younger kids and parents are gonna buy Nintendo simply because it says Nintendo on it. That's just the way it is. Older gamers, which, last time Zero checked, make up the majority of the age demographic for video game industry consumers, need a little something more to get behind. Something that says, "Hey, Nintendo is all about giving gamers everything they want to play on our platform. Real games of every genre kind are our focus." Actually, they could probably benefit more from a full-blown focus on mature gaming. Because the kiddie type first-party Nintendo titles are gonna sell themselves and systems all on their own; They've been doing so for years now and that much is, at this point, expected from a Nintendo console. If they market Nintendo towards the mature gamers, the rest will fall into place on brand name alone.

People like us aren't the ones they need to convince, however. Most of us here are hardcore Nintendo fans who already own a WiiU even though there's next to nothing good on it. We bought it because it's the next Nintendo platform and because we're loyal fans who know that, even though there aren't many games for the system now, there will be, at the very least, those great first-party games eventually... that we as hardcore fans absolutely have to play. But gamers like us are far and few between. We're the minority. Nintendo needs to get with the program and market itself towards all of those consumers who are going out right now and buying PS3's and 360's instead of a WiiU.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote