Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Nintendo DS/DSI/3DS

Notices

Nintendo DS/DSI/3DS Anything Nintendo DS, DS Lite, 3DS, and DSi related.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
Thelongjourney
Goomba
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1

Thelongjourney is an unknown quantity at this point

AC Adapter affect battery usage?

I have a a few specific questions about having the 3DS plugged into its AC adapter for extended use. I have a read topics related to my questions, but they do not provide an answer specific to my question or they have conflicting opinions. Sorry for bringing up this topic again but like I said I have not found, in my searching, a good hard response.

1) Will playing on my 3DS for extended use, while it is plugged in with my AC Adapter, shorten the life of my battery?

I do not intend to do this on a perpetual basis; I do bring my 3DS out often for Street Pass and for the Activity Log. My idea is to alternate; play on the go and then play for an extended time at home while plugged in with the AC Adapter.

2) Is it harmful to plug in my 3DS for extended play with an AC Adapter when the battery is only partially discharged (Like 75 to 50% percent remaining) ?

I have read and understand the Lithium Ion batteries do not develop 'memories' like NiCad batteries. However what I want to know is if constant, I guess, 'premature' charging shorten or harm the battery life in some way?

Thanks in advance
Thelongjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
SanePsychoSuper
Basic Contradiction
Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37
User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Crappy
SanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to behold

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Profile of the Month Award Signature of the Month Poster NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelorette Award Princess Award Profile of the Month Award 
Total Awards: 7

Lithium Ion batteries do not have a memory, but they do have limited charge cycles. They can only be recharged so many times. I don't know the limit of the batteries of the 3DS, but ultimately yes, recharging it more often when not truly needed will shorten the life of the battery. When you keep something plugged in, the battery does not drain, it continues to charge when you have it plugged in, but I believe when it fills it would stop charging and once it dies a lil more, I think it does start a new charge cycle. So that can affect it too.

I know if you keep a laptop plugged in all the time, it does shorten the life of the battery and towards the end of it's life will not hold as much as of charge. I assume it would be the same for a 3DS.

I hoped this helped, it was kinda hard for me to explain and I'm not sure I explained it so that it's easy to understand... lol
SanePsychoSuper is offline   Reply With Quote