Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Media Entertainment

Notices

Media Entertainment Discuss Movies, Music, TV, Books, Comics and anything related to Media Entertainment.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 57,384, Level: 100 Points: 57,384, Level: 100 Points: 57,384, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

My Mood: Gaming
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 15

Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 3282-3036-3021 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: Brandyn_Johnson
Angry I almost walked out on Iron Man 3. *SPOILERS*

SPOILER WARNING

I just had to vent about this. You probably already know the main thing I'm talking about. Well for starters, I found the movie overall to be very underwhelming compared to the predeccessors. But here's the number one problem I had with the movie:

They seriously copped out big time in regards to how they handled The Mandarin. Copout is an understatement, actually. What they did was flat out FALSE ADVERTISING. I mean, here we have Ben Kingsley's Mandarin as the focus on the trailers, as the top billed bad guy on the posters. The movie started out promisingly enough, he was built up pretty well. He had a scary, intimidating precense. He even had the rings on his fingers. Then...we have the scene where Tony finally breaks into his mansion and confronts him.

And it turns out he was nothing more than a ******** street actor who was hired as a front man to be the acting mascot of the organization by the real big bad guy.Then his character became a complete joke.

Did they seriously think that this would be a funny twist? No one in my audience found it amusing, they rolled their eyes and became just as disillusioned as I did. My heart sank. The movie promised a conflict between Iron Man and Mandarin and instead the villain was that smug faced douchebag who you already knew was going to be a bad guy the second he showed up on the screen. The twist was just that he was the "big" bad guy, which was stupid.

I very nearly walked out at that point, but since I was so far in I figured I may as well stay.

Then, the movie almost redeemed itself. During the climax, they make it look like Pepper dies. When this happened, I was actually about to forgive the movie for the Mandarin "twist". I said, "oh shit. Well at least they're going to go a less cliche route for the ending. It will be interesting to see how Tony copes with the death of the one woman he truly loved and perhaps it will add another dimension to the character."

But nope, they copped out on this, too! Five minutes later it turns out she's fine and then it's basically the typical Hollywood ending where he saves the girl.

Even without these two big mistakes the movie was simply underwhelming. There was some filler and I was annoyed at the subplot about Tony being traumatized by the events of The Avengers. Sure you could argue that makes it more realistic but I mean given what Tony went through in his own adventures prior to that I don't see why it was so traumatizing. He wasn't traumatized at the end of The Avengers. Why did they suddenly shoehorn this in? I mean I figured there was going to be a reference or two to The Avengers but it felt like they referred to it every five minutes.

But anyway I digress. The Mandarin copout and the death of Pepper copout were just the final nails in the coffin for me. The movie had its moments but all in all, I was not happy with it and it was almost my first time walking out on a movie. It seemed the rest of my theater was just as disappointed. Nobody cheered, nobody clapped by the time it was all over.

I think the problem is that ever since The Avengers proved to be a financial goldmine for Marvel/Disney, they are no longer concerned with putting effort into the individual hero movies. They're just hurrying up and pooping out this next batch so they can hurry up and get to The Avengers 2. I was really excited for round 2 of these Marvel movies but after this huge disappointment I don't know. They better hope Thor: The Dark World coming out in November is better.

Anyone else feel this way or is it just me?

Ultra Street Fighter IV mains: Gen, Dudley, Ryu
Tekken Revolution mains: Steve Fox, Kazuya
Tekken 6 mains: Steve Fox, Jin, Hwoarang
King of Fighters XIII team: Ryo/Kim Kaphwan/Joe
Brandyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 58,427, Level: 100 Points: 58,427, Level: 100 Points: 58,427, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

My Mood: Woot
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 
Total Awards: 19

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
I have not seen Iron Man 3, but it seems the Iron Man trilogy is much like the X-Men trilogy.

X-Men: Good Movie, represented characters well, solid foundation
X2: MO FIGHTS, MO MUTANTS
X3: .........what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
You wield the banhammer like Thor wields Mjolnir.

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs
SuperGamecube64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 57,384, Level: 100 Points: 57,384, Level: 100 Points: 57,384, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword

Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month Level 100 Award 

Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 3282-3036-3021 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: Brandyn_Johnson
Pretty much.

Iron Man: Great movie. It revitalized the Marvel movie universe the same way Batman Begins revitalized the left-for-dead Batman movie series.

Iron Man 2: I actually like this one more than most people. The general concensus is that this was very weak compared to the first one and was more like a rehash. I really enjoyed it though. It added another layer to Tony's character, Whiplash was a cool villain (same can't be said for Justin Hammer). As a sequel it was satisfactory for me. But I do agree with some people that it also focused too much on setting up The Avengers.

Iron Man 3: ..........what the hell?

Like I said, I think it's come to the point where Marvel Studios doesn't care about putting effort into their individual movies because they only really care about The Avengers movies now, since that's where the big box office $$$ is. Maybe it's a good thing the Spider-Man movie liscense is with Sony Studios (yes, I also liked The Amazing Spider-Man alot).

Old 05-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 58,427, Level: 100 Points: 58,427, Level: 100 Points: 58,427, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

My Mood: Woot
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 
Total Awards: 19

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
Don't they understand that Avengers was a hit because the movies preceding it were also hits? If they piss of their fanbase with mediocre sequels and trilogies, can they really expect their support for Avengers 2?

We like Super smash Bros. because we like Nintendo games and characters. If Every Nintendo game leading up to the next Smash Bros. was absolute trash, would they have our support for the next Smash Bros.?

Quote:
You wield the banhammer like Thor wields Mjolnir.

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs
SuperGamecube64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
AGoomba
Great bad ass Goomba
Points: 353, Level: 7 Points: 353, Level: 7 Points: 353, Level: 7

My Mood: Snobbish
AGoomba is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via Skype™ to AGoomba PSN ID: luigigamer97
I saw the movie and it was more funny than with action, for real.
It was like 9/10, I like it very much, but well, doesn´t compare with the first one
AGoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
TheLoveB4U
Sakura Medic
Points: 2,804, Level: 32 Points: 2,804, Level: 32 Points: 2,804, Level: 32
User owns 1x Fire Element User owns 1x Chao User owns 1x Shuriken User owns 1x Excitebike Trophy User owns 1x Mr Saturn User owns 1x Warpstar

My Mood: Lurking
TheLoveB4U has a spectacular aura aboutTheLoveB4U has a spectacular aura aboutTheLoveB4U has a spectacular aura about

Friend Codes
Send a message via AIM to TheLoveB4U Send a message via MSN to TheLoveB4U Send a message via Yahoo to TheLoveB4U Xbox Live Gamertag: Update later
I haven't seen the movie and i wasn't planning on seeing it either, something told me it was going to be terrible.

Hello Guest, Want to comment on this thread? register here!

Love is my armor, and that is my truth!
TheLoveB4U is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #7
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 23,062, Level: 93 Points: 23,062, Level: 93 Points: 23,062, Level: 93
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

I actually thought it was an improvement over 2 and didn't really mind how they handled The Mandarin. Hell I'd even go as far as two say it was my favorite part of the movie. Was it weird? Yes. Could've the Mandarin been handled better? Definitely. And I really hope they bring back Truely include the Mandarin in the future. But it was just so hilarious that I was able to let it slide.

I think one comment from another website will help explain my point.

Quote:
I think making the Mandarin a blatant Hollywood-ified Ambiguously Eastern Terrorist villain and then making him actually just a fabricated figurehead used for social and political manipulation was ****ing funny.

Because this is exactly the kind of shit popular media is pulling right now.

And doing it completely serious.

And it’s STUPID
Old 05-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #8
Brandyn
The Gentleman

Awards Showcase

I see what the comment is getting at and it would have been funny if this was another movie but this is the conclusion to Iron Man. People wanted the final battle to be with the REAL Mandarin. Not some smug, Albert Wesker knockoff...

Again, I would have even forgive the movie if they'd have killed Pepper off. Forgive me if that makes me sound twisted but I mean that in the sense that it would have been much less cliche and interesting, and would have made up for the Mandarin disappointment. But no, the movie goes exactly like how you will predict it will, and while it has it's funny and charming moments here and there, I was just underwhelmed.

But I won't give up yet. Round 2 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe is not off to a good start in my opinion. Hopefully Thor 2 and Captain America 2 are better. Way better. Especially since Marvel has no plans on a sequel to The Incredible Hulk. Not that I am a fan of The Incredible Hulk '08 (yes, I actually prefer Hulk '03) but I still like the character and the fact that he will now apparently only be an Avengers only character is another strike against Marvel Studios.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:28 AM   #9
SirManguydude
LoZ Expert
Points: 11,143, Level: 69 Points: 11,143, Level: 69 Points: 11,143, Level: 69
User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Earth Element User owns 1x Mirror Shield User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Fire Element User owns 1x Master Sword
User owns 1x Heart Tank User owns 1x Z-Saber User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Black Belt

My Mood: Lonely
SirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award NFF 3rd Annual Award Royalty Super Member Good Grammar Award Yoshi Signature of the Month Banner of the Month 
Total Awards: 12

Quote:
I see what the comment is getting at and it would have been funny if this was another movie but this is the conclusion to Iron Man.
I don't know how familiar you are with the comic books, but this is nowhere near the end of Iron Man. Iron Man 3 rounds out the trilogy. In the first movie, he is kidnapped by the 10 Rings(who also appear in Iron Man 2 as assistance to Whiplash), which in itself is a reference to the Mandarin. Stane is one of Iron Man's few reacquiring villains of his own. Whiplash also is one of the rare reacquiring villains of Iron Man, but often is inhibited by a new man behind the mask so to speak. And finally the Mandarin.

The Mandarin, in every incarnation, has always been in the shadows. He is always behind a front, such as an Actor. He is also, all powerfully, and on numerous occasions captures Tony, which then Tony must also escape without his usual tools, and thus must improvise. This is a defining moment in the movie.

In the Avengers, Captain America gives Tony a hard time about being nothing but a Rich Man with a fancy suit. Tony takes this to heart, and has some self confidence issues, which suits in with his PTSD. Quite often in Iron Man 3 Tony says something along the lines that the suit isn't Iron Man, he is. He eventually grows out of this phase as he is forced into more dire circumstances, and must rely on his wit alone.

In regards to his PTSD, it would make sense that it would take time to culminate. He barely escaped the Wormhole with his life, that is some traumatic Shit right there. And if you recall, Iron Man was a selfish dick to everyone of the other Avengers(except Banner for the most part). This act of selflessness that did not go well with his personality, but it had to be done in order to save his one love in the entire world Pepper.

His love of Pepper and his meticulous building of suits are the only two things that hold his psyche together. He was a ticking time bomb. Not only was he not sleeping, and building all these suits, he was so paranoid that something would happen that he needed every suit at once, so he designed a protocol specifically for this event. And also he decorated every suit with a party hat while it was in storage under his house.

A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you least expect it. That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your unit.

SirManguydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:49 AM   #10
Rai17
Actor
Points: 14,503, Level: 78 Points: 14,503, Level: 78 Points: 14,503, Level: 78
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Snake rope User owns 1x Yo-Yo User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom User owns 2x Super Mushroom User owns 1x Mr Saturn User owns 1x Invincibility Star
User owns 2x Rod Of Seasons User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 2x Daisy Flower User owns 1x Harp of Ages User owns 2x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Water Element

My Mood: Brooding
Rai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Yoshi NFF Old Man Award Celebrity Royalty NFF 3rd Annual Award Inventor Award NFF Promoter 
Total Awards: 9

I'm getting to watch it for free is weekend, so I'll give you my two cents as soon as I experience it myself.

~ Leftovers of a Genius

-My Twitter
--My YouTube
---My Instagram
----The NFF Facebook Page
Rai17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disappointment, fail, iron, man, marvel