Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Daily Life Forum > Advice

Notices

Advice Have a personal issue, seek advice here

Old 05-16-2013, 06:01 AM   #1
Mr. Hudson
The Floydian
Points: 12,921, Level: 74 Points: 12,921, Level: 74 Points: 12,921, Level: 74
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Black Mage

Mr. Hudson is just really niceMr. Hudson is just really niceMr. Hudson is just really niceMr. Hudson is just really nice

Awards Showcase
Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Xbox Live Gamertag: Mr Moonlightt
I'm done with high school tomorrow..

And now I've got the future to worry about.
Community college is my first stop, and after two years of pre-reqs I'll probably transfer to a university where I'm thinking I'll want to pursue a Master's degree in science.
Any tips about college in general? What's it like? Is it actually easier than high school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Waters
You have to be trusted
By the people that you lied to
So that, when they turns their backs on you
You'll get the chance, to put the knife through
Mr. Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2013, 07:00 AM   #2
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 38,499, Level: 100 Points: 38,499, Level: 100 Points: 38,499, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Ice Bucket Challenge Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 14

In the UK it's the hardest 2 years of your life (depending on your subject). I have no idea about America though. From what I've seen it's all partying but that's probably not a good thing to judge it off.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
Tanis
Zvarri
Points: 6,151, Level: 51 Points: 6,151, Level: 51 Points: 6,151, Level: 51
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Daisy Flower User owns 1x Bomb User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

My Mood: Tired
Tanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Brawl AM First Time Award Signature of the Month Royalty Welcome Wagon Poster Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 6

3DS Friend Code: 034493603259 PSN ID: Tanis-sama WiiU ID: Peridot-sama
If for whatever reason you decide to skip class, don't, especially for lectures. Unless you had your arm blown off in a freak alien invasion and you're bleeding out to death. Even then, you should still check in with someone to see what you missed during class. Then you can die.

Also, study. You won't be able to get by as easily without taking some time out to study like in high school. There's a larger workload, sure, but I wouldn't say that college is too much more difficult than high school. If you manage your time wisely and do well in your studies, it should be smooth sailing for the most part.

Tanis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 59,756, Level: 100 Points: 59,756, Level: 100 Points: 59,756, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

My Mood: Lonely
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Ice Bucket Challenge NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 16

Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 0147-1346-8804 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: brandyn1994
It's pretty much high school minus the petty drama (at least, community is, I'm not in university). Most people are pretty much there to get their credits and get out. I have made a few new friends so far, though.

I too was worried and I once had a set plan, and while I'm not saying it's useless to have a plan, part of college is finding out what you want and learning more about who you are as a person so you may just find yourself deviating from your plan.

EDIT: Also what Tanis said about studying. Unlike High School, college requires actual effort on your part (unfortunately).

Brandyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #5
Mr. Hudson
The Floydian
Points: 12,921, Level: 74 Points: 12,921, Level: 74 Points: 12,921, Level: 74
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Black Mage

Mr. Hudson is just really niceMr. Hudson is just really niceMr. Hudson is just really niceMr. Hudson is just really nice

Awards Showcase
Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Xbox Live Gamertag: Mr Moonlightt
I had one teacher in my Junior year that taught differently from the rest.
He would talk about a subject for ~40 minutes, and we took notes on what we thought was important, every single day, until the test. I really liked it. Is that what lectures are? It's much more effective to me than powerpoints and worksheets and crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Waters
You have to be trusted
By the people that you lied to
So that, when they turns their backs on you
You'll get the chance, to put the knife through
Mr. Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
Tanis
Zvarri
Points: 6,151, Level: 51 Points: 6,151, Level: 51 Points: 6,151, Level: 51
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Daisy Flower User owns 1x Bomb User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

My Mood: Tired
Tanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Brawl AM First Time Award Signature of the Month Royalty Welcome Wagon Poster Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 6

3DS Friend Code: 034493603259 PSN ID: Tanis-sama WiiU ID: Peridot-sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hudson View Post
I had one teacher in my Junior year that taught differently from the rest.
He would talk about a subject for ~40 minutes, and we took notes on what we thought was important, every single day, until the test. I really liked it. Is that what lectures are? It's much more effective to me than powerpoints and worksheets and crap.
Yeah, pretty much.

Tanis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
Zero
8-bit Roots
Points: 4,217, Level: 41 Points: 4,217, Level: 41 Points: 4,217, Level: 41
User owns 1x Poke Ball User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Z-Saber User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Nintendo DS
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote

My Mood: Amused
Zero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Poster Super Member Royalty 
Total Awards: 4

Congrats. Zero is actually starting back school tonight *sigh*
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #8
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 59,012, Level: 100 Points: 59,012, Level: 100 Points: 59,012, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

My Mood: Woot
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 
Total Awards: 19

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
College is in some ways better than high school, and in some ways just as annoying. For starters, most college students are adults - as in, not even just fresh out of high school. As a result, you generally have more mature classmates, however there are always rotten apples. At my college, the local high schoolers all get a free year when they graduate. This is why Fall semester is my most hated semester of the year, because all these high school kids come in and act like they're still in high school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
You wield the banhammer like Thor wields Mjolnir.

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs
SuperGamecube64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
SirManguydude
LoZ Expert
Points: 11,208, Level: 69 Points: 11,208, Level: 69 Points: 11,208, Level: 69
User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Earth Element User owns 1x Mirror Shield User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Fire Element User owns 1x Master Sword
User owns 1x Heart Tank User owns 1x Z-Saber User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Black Belt

My Mood: Lonely
SirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award NFF 3rd Annual Award Royalty Super Member Good Grammar Award Yoshi Signature of the Month Banner of the Month 
Total Awards: 12

My way of functioning through college is taking your time. Just sit in class, and pay attention. Don't be the guy that everyone in your class hates.

A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you least expect it. That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your unit.

SirManguydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:31 AM   #10
Lukario
Strangers
Points: 12,473, Level: 73 Points: 12,473, Level: 73 Points: 12,473, Level: 73

Lukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Super Member NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster NFF 3rd Annual Award Super Member NFF Artist Joker Inventor Award 
Total Awards: 10

Xbox Live Gamertag: deadDEFINED
I've been in both community college classes and university classes and I can say, at least in my experience, that they're not drastically different. You'll probably find community college no different from high school, you just have a lot more freedom. The classes at community college tend to be smaller than at a university, so the teachers will be more helpful if you have questions. Take advantage of teachers' office hours and tutoring if you're falling behind, trust me. You'll likely have a lot of classes that don't assign or collect homework, so it is important that you study so that way you remember what you learn in class. I have had many classes where your entire grade was based on three or four tests and a final, so take it seriously. You'll likely find your finals are scheduled at the stupidest of times (if you have any) some even on Saturday. If you can, try to buy your textbooks used (or take a gamble by buying the international version or the previous edition) since college textbooks are unjustly overpriced and pretty much a legal racket. In the grand scheme of things, I find university classes to be much more laid back, but other than that, try not to take everything too seriously, don't stress yourself out, and have fun.