Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Gaming News

Notices

Gaming News Gaming News around the world.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
Ghostbody
Points: 473, Level: 9 Points: 473, Level: 9 Points: 473, Level: 9

Ghostbody has a spectacular aura aboutGhostbody has a spectacular aura about

Gamestop's Stock Drops with the Xbox One Announcement

And so it begins. Microsoft, as many of you know, just had a press junket about the Xbox One and we learned about the new policies (somewhat) of used games and the online properties of the system. This is causing fear in the GS stock market as MS is attempting to cut off the market of used gaming and dictate what and how much and even if you can trade games. I'm not a fan, not a fan at all. Even as people hate Gamestop (a hate that is often deserved) I'm thinking of the bigger implications of this. This would mean that we are moving closer to rigged gaming economy and would hurt not just GS but other smaller retailers as well.

But I want to know what you guys think about this.

Source
Ghostbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 38,528, Level: 100 Points: 38,528, Level: 100 Points: 38,528, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Ice Bucket Challenge Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 14

MS aren't cutting off trade-ins completely, they're just making your games worth less, and the price they're sold at higher. So it's ruining it, but not killing it.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
Ghostbody

I just have issues with them dictating with how the used economy is going to work. I understand profits are what matter but the way that the system is being set up is looking more customer unfriendly. I know that it is not being completely killed off but I just see becoming more of an issue and it is coming closer to killing used games.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 24,228, Level: 94 Points: 24,228, Level: 94 Points: 24,228, Level: 94
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

WiiU ID: Megas75
They already said it can play second-hand games, but considering the fees, it's definitely going to turn a lot of people off.

Like Konata said, it'll hurt used games, but it won't outright kill it

And even then, GS still has the Wii U and PS4 games they can make money off of
Old 05-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
Ghostbody

I'm getting the feeling that the Xbox One is trying to corner a very specific part of the market and maybe that along with name recognition will carry the system. However, with some of the other policies, the somewhat consistent required internet connection being a big one, and this practice on used games it is hard to predict how well it will do.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
Zero
8-bit Roots
Points: 4,217, Level: 41 Points: 4,217, Level: 41 Points: 4,217, Level: 41
User owns 1x Poke Ball User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Z-Saber User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Nintendo DS
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote

My Mood: Amused
Zero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Poster Super Member Royalty 
Total Awards: 4

GameStop should just to choose not to carry the system or its games.
Zero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
Ghostbody

Internal rumbling are saying that's a possibility. Unless they can strike up some type of deal.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
Zero
8-bit Roots
Points: 4,217, Level: 41 Points: 4,217, Level: 41 Points: 4,217, Level: 41
User owns 1x Poke Ball User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Z-Saber User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Nintendo DS
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote

My Mood: Amused
Zero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Poster Super Member Royalty 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbody View Post
Internal rumbling are saying that's a possibility. Unless they can strike up some type of deal.
More than likely there's a ton of that going on as we speak, between Microsoft (probably Sony, too) and various retailers, developers, publishers, etc. Especially the way news related to used games keeps getting confirmed and then changed after HUGELY negative consumer reaction... Hah, one thing's for sure: This is already proving to be one interesting and entertaining console war.
Zero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #9
Nintenduendo
Estupidez
Points: 16,499, Level: 82 Points: 16,499, Level: 82 Points: 16,499, Level: 82
User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Super Mushroom

My Mood: Cold
Nintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster NFF Annual Awards Profile of the Month Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Poster NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
GameStop should just to choose not to carry the system or its games.
Sales are sales. Anybody can carry a new system or a new game, and that includes GameStop. Their focus is more on used inventory than new; it's a business model that keeps them unique from other larger retailers.

So if anything GS will carry new games and the system; I doubt it'd be any bigger than the Wii U games area though.

Nintenduendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:33 PM   #10
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 38,528, Level: 100 Points: 38,528, Level: 100 Points: 38,528, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Ice Bucket Challenge Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintenduendo View Post
So if anything GS will carry new games and the system; I doubt it'd be any bigger than the Wii U games area though.
I wish the Wii U area would grow. There's a couple of games I want but they're never in stock. It's as if they want the console to fail.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
business, gamestop, used games, xbox one