Member Articles Members Articles

Comment

Article Tools
Misdirection's Top Ten dragons
Published by Misdirection
06-18-2013

Recently, I've been diggin the fantasy vibe, and my favorite part of anything fantasy, has always been Dragons. And I think it's pretty safe to say that it's become a staple in almost every medium that Dragons exist. And being the Dragon lover that I am, I thought this would be a good time to share my favorites.
Now, what I've done here is added five Dragons from video games, and Five from other mediums. So without further adieu, let's shoot some shit!

~

10) King Ghidorah

What a better way to kick this list off then with one of the coolest dragons in Japanese monster history, King Ghidorah from the Godzilla franchise! This thing is just so cool! It smashes buildings, it... uh, fights Godzilla... it... okay, I've never actually seen a Godzilla flick before in my life. That's why I added him onto the bottom of the list. However, I must say, from all of the things I have seen and heard from this Dragon from Godzilla game footage / commentation, I can say it is the most compelling monster of them all. Which Is why I had to at least give him some spotlight.

9) Bonetail

Out of all of the dragons in Paper Mario; The Thousand Year Door, Bonetail is the most mysterious, elusive, and the most menacing of all of them, and awaits the day one dares to trump the treacherous challenge that is the Pit of a Hundred Trials. Alas, I have only heard but legends of this unholy beast, but I can guarantee you now that he is a force to be reckoned with. After the grueling trials you have to go through to get to him, I would hope that defeating him would be even more so rewarding.

8) Spike

Gotta have some cuteness laced in here somewhere. Spike is the lil dragon bro that hangs around Twilight In My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. He's just always there to lend a hand to the main six, and is overall just a very likable character to me. But you know, pones r ghey derp derp. But seriously, I would have put Discord on this list but sadly I know jack shit about him. Sooooooo any way let's just move on.

7) The Black Dragons

All throughout the land of this place ( I don't remember if it had a name), in the old PC game Heroes of Might and Magic II, there exist several dragon classes roaming in the wild, awaiting their next victim. There exist Red Dragons, Green Dragons, and even Bone Dragons, which are the necromancer's dragon. However, there are none so elusive, and that can match the sheer power of the mighty Black Dragon. To be honest, I haven't played this game in years, I am trying to downl- acquire a copy again. But nothing will top me and my friend cheating the game to get a full team of Black Dragons, and simply wrecking EVERYTHING that stood before us. I don't think we need anymore clarification on the matter.

6) Red-Eyes Darkness Dragon

Now, in the Yu-Gi-Oh! card game, there are many, many dragon archetypes. The Red-Eyes classification will always stand out to me as one of the most unique. This beast is the Red-Eyes Darkness Dragon, my personal favorite of them all. It gains 300 Attack points for every other Dragon that has fallen. I sadly do not own this card anymore, but when I did, it was the mother ****ing ass. I couldn't help but add it to the list.

5) Hyōrinmaru

"Rain over the frosted heavens; Hyōrinmaru!!"
This dragon is a spirit that inhabits Tōshirō Hitsugaya's blade in Bleach. In the series, there exist what is called a soul reaper, and each one has a spirit within each of their blades, called a Zanpakuto, which inhabit's their Spirit energy. They can then release this power on two different levels; Shikai, and Bankai. Basically, Bankai is the most badass thing a soul reaper can achieve, and this one happens to take the form of an Ice Dragon. And it is ****ing awesome. It really stands out in it's own right, due to it being an ice dragon of such size. It is surreal how it seems to bring a hush to the battle at hand.

4) Ridley

What better boss was there then Ridley from Metroid? I first encountered him in Super Metroid, and in design alone, he will always stand out to me as one of the greatest, creepiest, and badass dragons of all time. from his skeletal body structure, his terrifying movements, and the way he first showed up in Super Metroid (Pictured above, after bossing his way in from the shadows), and the general thought of actually facing him, ever looming over you is just amazing. Nothing will ever top the exhilaration of me and my friend, creeping across the world of Super Metroid, just dreading the encounter with this beast. Now that, is what I call an amazing dragon!

3) Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon

Another beast from the Yu-Gi-Oh! card game, the Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon will forever be, in my heart, the best dragon monster in the game. For many reasons. For one thing, in order to even call upon this mighty bastard, you must fuse together three, already insanely powerful monsters together; Blue-Eyes White Dragons, and then there is the fact that this beast was the ESSENCE of my childhood. As soon as this dragon was summoned in the anime, I jizzed a river. And if that wasn't enough, he fuses with another insanely powerful monster, the Black Luster Soldier, another beloved monster from my childhood.

To form what is called the Dragon Master Knight. From a fan of the card game, I can tell you straight up, my life would be complete if I got this card. Okay, maybe not that extreme. But I cant help myself with this shit sometimes. Nostalgia kills wallets. T_T

2) Volvagia

Zelda is, at it's core, a fantasy game, and the finest example of one, at that. So naturally, it has it's share of Dragon bosses, but none as compelling and interesting as Volvagia from Ocarina of Time. It lurks in the fire temple, enraging the balance of Death Mountain, corrupted by the evil Ganon to get revenge on the Goron tribe. It's design is truly a spectacle to behold, it is a wingless dragon with flaming hair, that burrows into magma holes in a rock surrounded by lava. And if that wasn't enough, you have to kill it with the treasure that the Goron's treasure dearly, the Megaton Hammer (Before you cop it off them and never return it)! Now, the reason I placed this up so highly on the list, is not solely due to design, or premise, but his backstory. In the manga, it is explained that Link bought the young dragon from a merchant in Hyrule Castle town. Seven years later, he was corrupted by Ganon, to erupt Death Mountain and destroy Hyrule. Link is reluctant to kill him due to the past that they shared. That alone, albeit in the manga, and not the game. makes this dragon one of my personal favorites.
And gives me feels. Many, many feels.

1) Giratina

I think my number one favorite dragon in any medium, is Giratina from Pokemon. Atop it being the very first legendary I caught in a Pokemon game, it is both a Dragon, and a ****ing ghost, which just so happens to be my favorite type of Pokemon. How can I not love it?? That aside, It was originally a beast that was so feared and powerful, that the other Legendaries of the Sinnoh region had to banish him to his own twisted plain of existence, known only as the distortion world. Not only is this world trippy as all hell to traverse, but when you are walking through it, in Pokemon Platinum, you feel a bleak, potent sense of loneliness. Imagine how long this dragon has been here, and how lonely it must have felt. And you harness this power that it was banned from this ****ing world for using. You basically befriend the most impenetrable force of destruction known to man. That's pretty damn awesome, especially if you are playing Heart Gold or Soul Silver. Walking with this massive dragon behind is the best feel you will ever feel.

I'd say that wraps this up. Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed.
Published by
Dragon Tamer
Misdirection is just really niceMisdirection is just really niceMisdirection is just really niceMisdirection is just really nice

Article Tools
Sponsored Links
By SuperGamecube64 on 06-18-2013, 08:17 PM
I thought this was cool until you didn't mention my childhood pal Spyro. T_T
By Misdirection on 06-18-2013, 08:41 PM
Never played Spyro so I wouldn't know what to say.
Sorry to disappoint D:
By SuperGamecube64 on 06-18-2013, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdirection View Post
Never played Spyro
By Misdirection on 06-18-2013, 09:42 PM
You must spread reputation around befo-

By Megas75 on 06-18-2013, 11:33 PM
Needs some Shenron.

Also, just thought I'd point out, Discord isn't actually a dragon. There's a name for him, though but I can't remember it(I think it was draconequus, which is kinda like a chimera)
By Misdirection on 06-19-2013, 02:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megas75 View Post
Needs some Shenron.

Also, just thought I'd point out, Discord isn't actually a dragon. There's a name for him, though but I can't remember it(I think it was draconequus, which is kinda like a chimera)
Ah, that's interesting. I thought I remembered my friend calling him a Dragon, but now that I think about it, it might have literally been the opposite.
At any rate I really have to get on watching more of the series. And I would get back to you on that whenever I decide to start watching DragonBall as well. xD
By Rai17 on 06-19-2013, 03:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGamecube64 View Post
This is the greatest moment in history.
By Konata on 06-19-2013, 05:33 AM
Firstly, go play Spyro. ;P

I haven't actually heard of half of these though. I like your top 4 choice.
By Killua on 06-19-2013, 12:22 PM
Cool list man. Tbh I was expecting Spyro and Shenron for sure. So you suprised me, and you introduced me to some dragons I haven't seen before so yeah good list.
Comment