Nintendo Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Gaming News

Notices

Gaming News Gaming News around the world.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:48 AM   #1
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 19,769, Level: 88 Points: 19,769, Level: 88 Points: 19,769, Level: 88
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

IWATA: 90% of new gamers can't finish 1-1 of Super Mario Bros

Quote:
During a Q&A at Nintendo’s recent shareholder’s meeting, Nintendo President and CEO Satoru Iwata said several things that are alternately painful, amazing, and sad in response to a question from a stockholder about how games seem to be getting easier, and how that may be contributing to the Wii U’s lackluster sales.

First of all, Iwata agreed that games have gotten easier, and he affirmed that the trend could be a reason that interest in the Wii U hasn’t been as strong as it could be. Still, he defended the company’s strategy for making games easier by revealing the results of gamer testing that Nintendo has conducted that demonstrates gamers’ decreasing ability to do well in games.

“It may come as a shock to some of you that most gamers today cannot finish the original Super Mario Brothers game on the Famicom,” he said. “We have conducted this test over the past few years to see how difficult we should make our games and have found that the number of people unable to finish the first level is steadily increasing.”

At this point, a whopping 90% of participants couldn’t finish the level. (We presume that means they used up their few available lives before having to restart the game.)

He also noted that most didn’t understand basic game mechanics such as the run button, or that coins are to be collected and aren’t enemies, or the concept of a bottomless pit. About 70% died at the first enemy, and half of those died at that same spot twice. (Twice! At the hands [or lack thereof] of the first Goomba!)

Watch out for those tricky, impossible-to-kill Goombas (Credit: TalesofGaming)

Participants said that they wanted the game to be easier, and that Mario should perhaps start the game with a sword or a gun. Some didn’t even realize that Super Mario Bros was an actual vintage game.

If we can put on our old fart hats for a moment: What on earth is wrong with kids today? Mario was a famously tough game to beat, for sure--saying that you beat Mario was a legitimate boast among the neighborhood youths--but not being able to finish off the first level is ridiculous, and suggesting that the game should be made easier instead of begging to try the level again is offensive to our sensibilities. (Now if someone would hand us a handkerchief to wipe the soup off our chins, we’d appreciate it.)

All joking aside, that’s a sad state of affairs for the gaming community in general and Nintendo specifically. Iwata, to his credit, sounds just as downcast about it as everyone else.

“As a stockholder, you should be relieved to know that our games are easier in order to attract a wider audience,” he told the crowd. “As a gamer, you might feel a little sad, and you should be. It is quite sad.”
SOURCE - http://hothardware.com/News/Nintendo...s/default.aspx

Megas75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2013, 02:27 AM   #2
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 57,466, Level: 100 Points: 57,466, Level: 100 Points: 57,466, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

My Mood: Woot
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 
Total Awards: 19

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
Ok, this saddens me very much, but it;s important to look at the context. If someone is truly brand new to gaming, is it really that surprising that they can't finish the level? Think back to the very first time you ever played any game ever. For me, I was only 3 years old. I highly doubt I could complete the level first try at that age.

However, as I read on it became painfully obvious that they were testing actual gamers, or at least people who call themselves such. That's were it goes to hell for me, and just really makes me shake my head. Rest assured, not all of the upcoming generation is horrible at gaming, and I do my part to help recommend kids, particularly in my family,great games and help them learn to be better at them as well. It's really all we can do at this point. There will always be easy games and hard games, however. It's important to keep that in mind.

Check me out on Facebook!
Like action figures? Click here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
You wield the banhammer like Thor wields Mjolnir.

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs
SuperGamecube64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:01 AM   #3
Rin
Nintendo King/Queen
Points: 39,277, Level: 100 Points: 39,277, Level: 100 Points: 39,277, Level: 100

Rin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant future

Awards Showcase
Royalty NFF 3rd Annual Award Level 100 Award Member of the Month Monster Poster Yoshi Poster 

Press jump, move right, avoid enemies, profit.

GEE THAT'S REALLY ****ING HARD.

Dumbasses.
Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
jfreakofkorn
Posting freak
Points: 3,837, Level: 39 Points: 3,837, Level: 39 Points: 3,837, Level: 39

jfreakofkorn is a jewel in the roughjfreakofkorn is a jewel in the roughjfreakofkorn is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards 
Total Awards: 1

maybe they need a map of the layout ....???
jfreakofkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 35,038, Level: 100 Points: 35,038, Level: 100 Points: 35,038, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award NFF's 4th Annual Award 
Total Awards: 12

I really hope none of the gamers they're testing are over 18. Asking to add guns or swords though. Like Rin said, it's not even hard. It may get a bit more difficult later on, but level 1-1 should be easy even if you hadn't played it before.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
Tanis
Ordinary
Points: 5,512, Level: 47 Points: 5,512, Level: 47 Points: 5,512, Level: 47
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Daisy Flower User owns 1x Bomb User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

My Mood: Tired
Tanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Brawl AM First Time Award Signature of the Month Royalty Welcome Wagon Poster Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 6

3DS Friend Code: 034493603259 PSN ID: Tanis-sama
I actually haven't beaten SMB ._.

But 1-1 is easysauce.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #7
jfreakofkorn
Posting freak
Points: 3,837, Level: 39 Points: 3,837, Level: 39 Points: 3,837, Level: 39

jfreakofkorn is a jewel in the roughjfreakofkorn is a jewel in the roughjfreakofkorn is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards 
Total Awards: 1

all it is on the first level is growing up and hopping ( around like a bunny ), avoiding being pinched or falling into the hole(s)
jfreakofkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #8
jvgsjeff
Points: 839, Level: 15 Points: 839, Level: 15 Points: 839, Level: 15

jvgsjeff is a glorious beacon of lightjvgsjeff is a glorious beacon of lightjvgsjeff is a glorious beacon of lightjvgsjeff is a glorious beacon of lightjvgsjeff is a glorious beacon of light

That article is a satire, it's not real.
jvgsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 19,769, Level: 88 Points: 19,769, Level: 88 Points: 19,769, Level: 88
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvgsjeff View Post
That article is a satire, it's not real.
Yeah, I was hearing it was fake a few hours after I posted this, but honestly, I do think there's some truth in this.

Remember "y cant metroid crawl?" a few months back?

Megas75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:21 AM   #10
Misdirection
Dragon Tamer
Points: 715, Level: 14 Points: 715, Level: 14 Points: 715, Level: 14
User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x SNES Controller

My Mood: Grumpy
Misdirection is just really niceMisdirection is just really niceMisdirection is just really niceMisdirection is just really nice

PSN ID: Sonikku1994
Welp I just had a long ramble before I realized it was fake. I feel better now knowing that it is. It reminds me of Egoraptor:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egoraptor
Modern game devs are assuming that the non-gamer masses are all... dumb. And they can't identify simple patterns in their heads, that normal human beings can, and need to be able to do, in order to be.
Gaming sensibility isn't even something that is attained by playing games. everyone ****ing knows basic video game logic. And even then, if you're given two abilities, chances are, one of them will help you advance / kill enemies. Basic deduction. If 90% of the new gamer masses can't do that, I weep for humanity. I hate it when people can't use their heads to get around simple, menial tasks in life, without having to be guided there, every step of the way.

But that's just one cynical asshole's opinion.