Nintendo Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Media Entertainment

Notices

Media Entertainment Discuss Movies, Music, TV, Books, Comics and anything related to Media Entertainment.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:20 AM   #1
AlloftheAbove
Numbah Wan
Points: 21,865, Level: 92 Points: 21,865, Level: 92 Points: 21,865, Level: 92
User owns 1x Purple Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Yellow Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Red Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Light Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Grey Chaos Emerald

My Mood: Gaming
AlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award NFF Referrer Review of the Month Review of the Month Review of the Month News Reporter 
Total Awards: 36

3DS Friend Code: 4382-1995-8800 Xbox Live Gamertag: RaptorWaffles WiiU ID: AlloftheAbove
Batman vs. Superman

So hopefully we've all heard by now about Warner Bros. announcing that instead of a Justice League movie in 2015, they will release something similar to a World's Finest movie aka Batman+Superman in 2015 instead. That means no Man of Steel 2 on the horizon, with Henry Cavill instead having to ride shotgun with a presumably new Batman as the DC Cinematic Universe finally takes its first steps.

What does NFF think of this decision?
Old 07-22-2013, 05:30 AM   #2
Miggles
Le Migs
Points: 3,385, Level: 36 Points: 3,385, Level: 36 Points: 3,385, Level: 36

Miggles has much to be proud ofMiggles has much to be proud ofMiggles has much to be proud ofMiggles has much to be proud ofMiggles has much to be proud ofMiggles has much to be proud ofMiggles has much to be proud ofMiggles has much to be proud of

Awards Showcase
Review of the Month Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 2

Xbox Live Gamertag: Miggles92
My feelings are mixed :S
I guess its good that they're finally creating a cinematic universe, it doesnt look like they have a lot of direction of where they're going. Marvel got things right when they made the MCU, tossing around references and connections, eventually culminating into a full crossover movie. This just seems too sudden, like they don't have the patience or the foresight to do something similar. Heck I didn't even know who Thor or Captain America were before the movies. WB could have done the same for Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg and Wonderwoman. But they're rushing in too soon, getting the only two likeable characters they've made so far, and jumping the gun.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:54 AM   #3
AlloftheAbove
Numbah Wan
User owns 1x Purple Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Yellow Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Red Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Light Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Grey Chaos Emerald

AlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award NFF Referrer Review of the Month Review of the Month Review of the Month News Reporter 

3DS Friend Code: 4382-1995-8800 Xbox Live Gamertag: RaptorWaffles WiiU ID: AlloftheAbove
I'm with you there Migs. It's like they're just pandering to mainstream audiences, unlike Marvel who decided to even give Guardians of the Galaxy a movie, when that franchise is obscure even in comic-fan circles. Marvel certainly put the time and effort into their cinematic universe. I remember back when The Incredible Hulk came out, someone said to me "Did you see at the end when Iron Man is there and he says he is making a team?! Hulk and Iron Man crossover! Wooo!" Marvel had the same opportunity but they chose to wait it out and bring in a much fuller, lesser known cast which succeeded on every front.

I'm also disheartened to see that Superman isn't really getting a chance to establish itself as a franchise. Hearing that they're going straight into a crossover with DC's most popular character sounded to me like WB was saying "We don't have faith in Superman as a franchise. We don't want to give him the chance to grow." They made a big deal when they started Superman, saying that he'd be the foundation for their Universe and that everything would be built from him. But ultimately, their foundation hasn't set yet. But instead they're just going to build over it. Like I said, Marvel did the time. From Iron Man 1, they built consistently and lovingly in order to establish their acclaimed Marvel Cinematic Universe. However, DC seems to be playing a very short-sighted game here. They want to get into the Avengers arena, but they're not taking the time to build a franchise properly.

A movie where they're bringing in an entirely new Batman character only to play as a co-character is also going to be tough to pull off. Batman has hardly even died down from the buzz of the Dark Knight trilogy, but only one movie later, he's getting a reboot in a movie that's not even his own? And even if Batman is easily sold by audiences, people have hardly even become to familiarise themselves with this new Superman character, and now they're both competing for screen time.

This is big news, no doubt. But I certainly don't think they're doing it right.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #4
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 34,673, Level: 100 Points: 34,673, Level: 100 Points: 34,673, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award NFF's 4th Annual Award 
Total Awards: 12

So Batman is going to help Superman how? I could only see him being useful if it was to pick kryptonite off of him.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
jfreakofkorn
Posting freak
Points: 3,794, Level: 38 Points: 3,794, Level: 38 Points: 3,794, Level: 38

jfreakofkorn is a jewel in the roughjfreakofkorn is a jewel in the roughjfreakofkorn is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards 
Total Awards: 1

read an article saying, that batman will help in the recover of kryptonite from the world ...

somehow it got to earth and he is on a mission to pick up evry single piece or something ...

knowing super dudes weakness is this ...
jfreakofkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
Brandyn
The Man
Points: 53,258, Level: 100 Points: 53,258, Level: 100 Points: 53,258, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

My Mood: Cool
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 15

Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 3282-3036-3021 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: Brandyn_Johnson
The thing is, when making a big theatrical blockbuster, you have to be more considerate of the general public than the hardcore fans of the source material. The Movie market is similar to gaming in that you have the "casuals" and you have the people who are hardcore fans of the source material if the movie is based on something. When you get down to it, Superman and Batman are pretty much the only two Justice League superheroes that the general public really care about. The 2011 flop that is The Green Lantern proved this to Warner Bros. I don't read Green Lantern and I did not see the movie but it was a commercial flop, therefore it unfortunately gives Warner Bros. that making a live action movie of any DC hero that's not Supes or Bats is a waste of money.

My guess is that The Green Lantern was supposed to kick off the "DC Cinematic Universe" the same way that Iron Man did for Marvel. Unfortunately though, the movie flopped, therefore Warner Bros. would rather not risk losing money on a movie about Aquaman, Flash, or Wonder Woman. In their minds, why should they do that when instead they can just keep doing Superman and Batman movies since those movies about those two are virtually guarenteed profit.

Had The Green Lantern not flopped, then it probably would have given Warner Bros./DC the confidence to make Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Flash, and Martian Manhunter movies and then we probably would have had The Justice League instead of World's Finest. The same could probably be said for Marvel, we probably would not have gotten Captain America, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, or The Avengers had the first Iron Man not been a critical success. But unfortuantely Lantern did not quite meet the studio's expectations, therefore we probably won't get another DC movie about another hero besides Superman and Batman for a while, meaning we won't get a Justice League flick for quite a while.

As for my personal thoughts on it, I am very excited and I'm fine with them just doing this instead. I like other DC heroes besides Batman and Superman but having just them is good enough for me for a movie. Hopefully they will be teaming up to take on The Joker and Lex Luthor.

Nintendo/PlayStation Network ID: Brandyn_Johnson

Currently Playing:

Super Street fighter IV: AE
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Brandyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:09 AM   #7
Miggles
Le Migs
Points: 3,385, Level: 36 Points: 3,385, Level: 36 Points: 3,385, Level: 36

Miggles has much to be proud ofMiggles has much to be proud ofMiggles has much to be proud ofMiggles has much to be proud ofMiggles has much to be proud ofMiggles has much to be proud ofMiggles has much to be proud ofMiggles has much to be proud of

Awards Showcase
Review of the Month Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 2

Xbox Live Gamertag: Miggles92
But Lex Luthor hasn't even been introduced and already he needs Batman's help defeating him? It may be a safe move for them financially, but Brandyn you talk about them disregarding the true fans for a more mainstream audience being a good thing. They tried and failed with a Green Lantern movie yes, but that's not the character's fault. It was WB. The Green Lantern animated series is doing surprisingly well, and the series Arrow has amassed a following of fans before they even realised it was a superhero series, so it's not like people aren't interested in the other DC properties.

Adding Batman to a franchise that's only had one movie seems like the coward's way out.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:14 AM   #8
AlloftheAbove
Numbah Wan

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase

Did Man of Steel not do so well in the box office or something? Even if disregarding core fans in favour of mainstream audiences was a good thing, how much more mainstream could Superman be? He hasn't even had a confrontation with his arch nemesis and already he's calling in for backup. It just seems like a strange sequence of events to involve a full-on crossover so quickly.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:01 AM   #9
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 34,673, Level: 100 Points: 34,673, Level: 100 Points: 34,673, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award NFF's 4th Annual Award 
Total Awards: 12

How many people, other than the pedantic few who don't actually care themselves, are going to miss not having Green Lantern (or whoever else) in the movie? To be honest, Superman and Batman as a team seem impossible to defeat as it is. You'd need some desperate script writing to bring in another mediocre hero to help them.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
Brandyn
The Man
Points: 53,258, Level: 100 Points: 53,258, Level: 100 Points: 53,258, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

My Mood: Cool
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 15

Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 3282-3036-3021 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: Brandyn_Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miggles View Post
But Lex Luthor hasn't even been introduced and already he needs Batman's help defeating him? It may be a safe move for them financially, but Brandyn you talk about them disregarding the true fans for a more mainstream audience being a good thing. They tried and failed with a Green Lantern movie yes, but that's not the character's fault. It was WB. The Green Lantern animated series is doing surprisingly well, and the series Arrow has amassed a following of fans before they even realised it was a superhero series, so it's not like people aren't interested in the other DC properties.
Animationed series and TV shows based on such liscensed properties come with a built-in audience. They're usually made for the fans, and they're cheaper to produce than a blockbuster. Especially when you take merchandise tie-ins into consideration.

Not to be a downer, I am sure plenty of other people want to see live action films about other DC heroes myself included. It's just that it seems WB would much rather play it safe. Entertainment has been so saturated with Batman for the last few years (if not oversaturated) that he himself comes with a built-in audience. Especially now that the Dark Knight film series is over, everyone would jump at the chance to see him in another movie.

However I agree with you about it being so soon. Or rather-- I don't think they should call it Man of Steel 2, they should just call it World's Finest or maybe even just Superman & Batman. Having Batman guest star in Man of Steel 2 does seem a bit too easy they should just make this a separate film series. Especially since the new Superman has not taken on Luthor yet.

Either way, they did promise us a crossover movie in 2015. They can't do Justice League because they have not established any other heroes except for Green Lantern. The only way they could do Justice League is if they were to produce Wonder Woman, Flash, and Aquaman movies in 2014 (which would be rushed as hell, they probably would not do well and that would not bring good support for the Justice League). So this is the next best thing.

Nintendo/PlayStation Network ID: Brandyn_Johnson

Currently Playing:

Super Street fighter IV: AE
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Brandyn is online now   Reply With Quote