Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Media Entertainment

Notices

Media Entertainment Discuss Movies, Music, TV, Books, Comics and anything related to Media Entertainment.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 56,453, Level: 100 Points: 56,453, Level: 100 Points: 56,453, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

My Mood: Gaming
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 15

Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 3282-3036-3021 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: Brandyn_Johnson
List and rate every movie you've seen so far this year

So we're a good portion of the way through the summer blockbuster season and the biggest ones of the summer have already arrived. List every one of this year's releases that you've seen and rate and if you want provided a mini-review. You can feel free to keep adding to this as you see more movies.

Django Unchained 4.5/5
Well, this is actually a 2012 release since it came out on Christmas but I didn't see it until 2013 and that's the year it spent the majority of in theatres. Anyway I found it pretty entertaining and fun. Especially since I sat next to a white guy who seemed as though he needed my permission to laugh at some of the stuff, hehe.

Gangster Squad: 3/5
It wasn't exactly a work of art, but it wasn't trying to be. It's just a fun little gangster shoot-em-up flick that made for good winter entertainment. You won't remember it after a week but it's a good time while you're watching it, and it has Emma Stone.

Oz: The Great and Powerful: 2/5
I was probably a little too nice when I first talked about the movie here. I mean, it's a good little spring movie but you're probably going to forget it a few hours after you leave the theatre like I did but I guess it was an okay flick for the little ones.

Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor: 1.5/5
Well...I'm black so this was my obligatory Tyler Perry film. Thing is it follows the same old TP formula of a hapless black woman who ends up with an evil abusive man but then there's also the good man and then God gives her the strength to leave the bad man for the good man, everybody gets saved in the end. Predictable, again, formulaic. I'm all for supporting independant black directors but...seriously this guy is like the...Activision...of the movie industry. He releases the same movie over and over again. Except Madea wasn't in this one (which is why it got the extra .5).

Olympus Has Fallen: 3.5/5
Much like Gangster Squad, it's a fun shoot-em-up/beat-em-up action flick that's (over)saturated with Patriotism and anti-North Korea sentiments. Except it is more memorable that GS. Gerard Butler as the hero, Aaron Eckhart as the President, Morgan Freeman as Morgan Freeman, it's the recipe for a fun movie. However, it gives G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra a run for its money for the crappiest CGI Award.

Side Effects: 1/5
I don't mind Noir-ish films that are more dialogue driven that action driven. However this one was sluggishly paced with a story that seemed all over the place at times and I think they were relying mainly on the star power (Channing Tatum, Jude Law, Catherine Zeta-Jones, etc.) they had to get people to the cinema. Yawn.

42: 3/5
It was a nice feel-good movie but the thing is, it's pretty much just like every other sports drama set in the Pre-Civil Rights era that focuses on a black athlete/team. I mean...it's just sort of well predictable.

Iron Man 3: 2/5
I already vented my rant about everything I did not like about this one on here so I won't really go into it again. If you enjoyed it that's fine, I am glad you found enjoyment in it. For me it was just a letdown, and if you've seen it I am sure you would know why. But even without a certain really stupid "twist", I just found it overall to be underwhelming compared to the first two.

Nintendo/PlayStation Network ID: Brandyn_Johnson

Ultra Street Fighter IV mains: Gen, Dudley, Ryu
Tekken Revolution mains: Steve Fox, Kazuya
Tekken 6 mains: Steve Fox, Jin, Hwoarang
King of Fighters XIII team: Ryo/Kim Kaphwan/Joe
Brandyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 22,475, Level: 93 Points: 22,475, Level: 93 Points: 22,475, Level: 93
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

Iron man 3 - 7/10
Not as good as the first two, but I didn't vehemently loathe it like some fans did. For the most part I enjoyed it

Olympus Has Fallen - 7/10
Fun action movie, if despite it being pretty ridiculous(then again, I like ridiculous things). Also 'MURICA

Despicable Me 2 - 8/10
Just as great as the first one

Pacific Rim - 9/10
Freaking giant robots. Easily my favorite movie this year so far

EDIT: if we're gonna add movies from part of last year too:
Wreck it Ralph - 10/10
After ages of awful game movies, Wreck-it-Ralph felt like the second coming

Skyfall - 9/10
Butting heads with Goldeneye as my favorite Bond Film

Last edited by Megas75; 07-24-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Megas75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 37,084, Level: 100 Points: 37,084, Level: 100 Points: 37,084, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 
Total Awards: 13

Gangster Squad - 4.5/5
3D Monsters Inc. - 4/5
Flight - 4.5/5
Wreck-It Ralph - 4/5
This is 40 - 3/5
Django Unchained - 5/5
Olympus Has Fallen - 2/5
Mama - 3.5/5
Parker - 3/5
The Croods - 3.5/5
GI Joe Retaliation - 2/5
Trance - 5/5
Beautiful Creatures - 3/5
21 And Over - 4/5
Epic - 3.5/5
Hangover PT 3 - 2.5/5
Moth Diaries - 1/5
The Purge - 3/5
A Haunted House - 3.5/5
Despicable Me 2 - 4/5
This is The End - 3/5
Monsters University - 3.5/5

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
SanePsychoSuper
Basic Contradiction
Points: 3,014, Level: 33 Points: 3,014, Level: 33 Points: 3,014, Level: 33
User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Cheeky
SanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to behold

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Profile of the Month Award Signature of the Month Poster NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelorette Award Princess Award Profile of the Month Award 
Total Awards: 7

Wreck It Ralph: 5/5!
I really loved it. It's the only new movie I've seen this year. And I saw it in theaters 3 times, one of those times was a premiere the night before it came out. >.> This reminds me that I still need to go buy it.
SanePsychoSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
Miggles
Le Migs
Points: 3,385, Level: 36 Points: 3,385, Level: 36 Points: 3,385, Level: 36

Miggles has much to be proud ofMiggles has much to be proud ofMiggles has much to be proud ofMiggles has much to be proud ofMiggles has much to be proud ofMiggles has much to be proud ofMiggles has much to be proud ofMiggles has much to be proud of

Awards Showcase
Review of the Month Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 2

Xbox Live Gamertag: Miggles92
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 5/5
Wreck-It Ralph - 5/5
Man of Steel - 4/5
Iron Man 3 - 3.5/5
Despicable Me 2 - 3/5
Warm Bodies - 4/5
Life of Pi - 5/5
The Croods - 4/5
Star Trek: Into Darkness - 4/5
Pacific Rim - 5/5*
A Good Day to Die Hard - 2/5
Gangster Squad - 2.5/5

*I actually thought Pacific Rim was a really badly written movie with so many strange inconsistencies in tone and plot, but I had so much fun laughing with my friends at the sheer incredibility of the story and the writing that I enjoyed it so much more than anyone else in the theatre.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 56,453, Level: 100 Points: 56,453, Level: 100 Points: 56,453, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 15

Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 3282-3036-3021 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: Brandyn_Johnson
Seems like 2013 has been a pretty decent film year overall.
I wanted to see Warm Bodies and Life of Pi in theatres.

Nintendo/PlayStation Network ID: Brandyn_Johnson

Ultra Street Fighter IV mains: Gen, Dudley, Ryu
Tekken Revolution mains: Steve Fox, Kazuya
Tekken 6 mains: Steve Fox, Jin, Hwoarang
King of Fighters XIII team: Ryo/Kim Kaphwan/Joe
Brandyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #7
Mario
Just Chillaxin
Points: 52,021, Level: 100 Points: 52,021, Level: 100 Points: 52,021, Level: 100
User owns 1x Blue Shell User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Links Shield User owns 1x Gold Coin
User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Red Pikmin

Mario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF's 4th Annual Award Monster Poster NFF Old Man Award NFF 3rd Annual Award Royalty Level 100 Award Mufasa NFF 1st Annual Award 
Total Awards: 9

3DS Friend Code: 4450-2343-3333 WiiU ID: test123
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 5/5
Wreck-It Ralph - 5/5
Iron Man 3 - 2/5
Jack the Giant Slayer - 4/5
Identity Thief - 2.5/5
Gangster Squad - 3.5/5
Star Trek: Into Darkness - 5/5
Oz - Great and Powerful - 1/5 - Good thing I didn't pay to see this
A Good Day to Die Hard - 2.5/5
Incredible Burt Wonderstone - 2/5
Snitch - 3/5
The Last Stand - 3/5
Trance - 3.5/5
Parker - 3/5
42 - 3/5
Warm Bodies - 3/5

Mini Series:
Game of Thrones Season 3 - 5/5
The Walking Dead Season 3 - 4.5/5
Justified Season 3 - 4/5
Boardwalk Empire Season 2 - 5/5
House of Cards Season 1 - 3/5
Vikings Season 1 - 4/5

Started from the bottom, now we're here.
Mario is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
JemStar
Konata's booty
Points: 5,528, Level: 47 Points: 5,528, Level: 47 Points: 5,528, Level: 47

My Mood: Sleepy
JemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud of

Send a message via Skype™ to JemStar PSN ID: BlackChilliBean
I've watched a lot this year. I can give a nice, lengthy reply. I'm even going to go on advanced! >_> (maybe that's because I don't keep up enough with the world of gaming)

21 and Over 4/5. Enjoyed it because it did make me laugh at parts (which is a hard job - maybe I'm too serious).
3D Monsters Inc 4.5/5. I love the movie, but don't enjoy 3D. I went to see it because I wanted to see it in the cinema ;P the movie alone would get a 5.
A Haunted House 3/5. It was funny at times, just usually not my type of movie.
Arbitrage 2.5/5.
Beautiful Creatures 2/5. I don't really enjoy teen romance movies at all.
The Croods 3.5/5.
Despicable Me 2 3.5/5.
Django Unchained 4/5. I thought it was pretty great, enjoyed the action scenes.
Epic 3/5. (So many children's movies xP).
Flight 4.5/5. Excellent, the ending made it better for me too.
Gangster Squad 4.5/5. Brilliant, I really liked Emma Stone in it as well.
GI Joe Retaliation 2/5.
The Hangover Pt 3 2.5/5. It was decent at times I suppose, but I really think that the sequels were unnecessary, to me it just seemed like it was to make more money off of it because of the success of the first one. A lot of sequels only really serve that purpose though I suppose.
Mama 3/5.
Monsters University 4/5. It exceeded my expectations, I didn't get to guess the whole story and it was a good prequel. The only thing that nagged me was that Randell's character seemed just sort of forced into the story and his motive to beat Sully and Mike was pretty lame to be honest.
The Moth Diaries 3.5/5. I liked the psychological side of it, although it was slow paced.
Movie 43 2.5/5. It wasn't good, but one of the jokes did stick and it's still quite funny.
Olympus Has Fallen 2/5.
Parker 3/5.
The Purge 3/5. This had potential. This could have been outstanding, the concept was brilliant, but they kept it focused on one family. That was the huge flaw and destroyed the potential.
Scary Movie 5 2.5/5. I laughed a few times but I think the franchise is dying.
This Is 40 3/5.
This Is The End 3/5.
Trance 5/5. Just great. I loved all of it, the story and the twists.
The World's End 4/5. Got to love British humour. The idea itself seemed like a joke, middle aged guys finishing a bar crawl they started as teenagers. It was funny.
Wreck-It Ralph 5/5. I really enjoyed it because it was original, I loved the idea of the game characters being alive outside of their games.

Phew.

"I collect, not play." - Quinten talking about My Little Pony.

Last edited by JemStar; 07-31-2013 at 04:08 PM.
JemStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:49 PM   #9
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 37,084, Level: 100 Points: 37,084, Level: 100 Points: 37,084, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 
Total Awards: 13

I missed a few, and watched a new one a few days ago;

Movie 43 - 3/5
Arbitrage - 2/5
Scary Movie 5 - 3.5/5
The World's End - 4.5/5

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:09 PM   #10
Wiidude
One Cool Dude
Points: 10,495, Level: 68 Points: 10,495, Level: 68 Points: 10,495, Level: 68
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Nunchuck User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel

My Mood: Cool
Wiidude is a jewel in the roughWiidude is a jewel in the roughWiidude is a jewel in the roughWiidude is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty 
Total Awards: 2

Lone ranger 1/5 "movie sucked!"
Gi Joe 2/5
Wreck-It Ralph 4/5
Star Trek 4/5
Wiidude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, blockbuster, movie, review