Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Technical Support > Nintendo

Notices

Nintendo Post any Nintendo related support questions here.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
dj_mog
Goomba
Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1

My Mood: Gloomy
dj_mog is an unknown quantity at this point

Xbox Live Gamertag: DJ_Mog_V2
Snes Problem - Urgent Help Required

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a pal snes for really cheap however after connecting it up it doesn't work!

The Problem:
Some games don't start at all and some start up and make it to the main menu and dont get any further than that, also there is no sound.

There is a youtube vid i made of the problem but i cant post the link so just type in the search bar "Dj Mog - Snes Problem" and it should come up at the top.

Steps I Took:
I opened the snes up and cleaned the pin receptors with contact cleaner and a cloth wrapped around a credit card to no luck and decided to open up further by completly dismantling the whole snes which is where i discovered the green corrosion.

Thanks in advance, help me feel nostalgia again
dj_mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
ゼルダ姫
aka - Shiiku
Points: 2,004, Level: 27 Points: 2,004, Level: 27 Points: 2,004, Level: 27
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Nunchuck User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic

My Mood: Tired
ゼルダ姫 is a jewel in the roughゼルダ姫 is a jewel in the roughゼルダ姫 is a jewel in the roughゼルダ姫 is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Profile of the Month Award NFF Old Man Award Princess Award 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via Skype™ to ゼルダ姫 PSN ID: SmashBrosSheik WiiU ID: Shiiku
Hey there, dj_mog.

I assume you bought this SNES used? If that's the case it may be either really dirty still, or a SNES that may be on it's way out. Let's hope it's the first. ;]

It may just need some serious cleaning. I wouldn't try cleaning anything else in the system though. I don't think that's the problem. Most of it looks fine.
I heard you say you used a cloth with contact cleaner? It may have done something, but perhaps not enough. When you cleaned, did you see noticeable dirt?

I would try this:
Get a good amount of Q-tips and some rubbing alcohol. Soak the Q-tip with the alcohol and rub the contacts at the open end of the cartridge. Get on each and ever side/underside and keep repeating the process until you see no more dirt on the Q-tip.

To help clean the system you could try either of three possible steps.

One would be to get a piece of cardboard, (one that is nice a sturdy would be a good idea). Use a piece that will show the dirt easily, get a moderate amount of rubbing alcohol on it and try inserting the cardboard the way you would a cartridge into the SNES. Make sure to keep repeating until all comes out clean. You could give the SNES about 5 or so minutes to air dry before inserting a game and starting it up to test.

Another method would be:
Once you have all your cartridges completely clean, soak a Q-tip in alcohol, use it to moderately wet down the cartridge connectors, and then insert the cartridge into the SNES, and pop it back out. Clean the cartridge nicely again, and repeat until your cartridge comes out clean after being inserted into the SNES. Again, you could give the SNES some time to air dry before starting it up.

One last thing, (which I would try last to be honest), is soaking a Q-tip in rubbing alcohol and trying to get into the SNES connector slot on your own. May work, but will be harder to accomplish.

It may be a lot of work, but it may also be well worth your efforts to see if you can play it finally!

Hope it does something for you. Let me know how it all turned out if you try one of these. Love your attitude of wanting to play old school style, so really hoping it works out for you, and that it's not just a system on it's way out.

Last edited by ゼルダ姫; 08-21-2013 at 11:10 PM.
ゼルダ姫 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:34 AM   #3
dj_mog
Goomba
Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1

My Mood: Gloomy
dj_mog is an unknown quantity at this point

Xbox Live Gamertag: DJ_Mog_V2
Hi Princess Zelda (ゼルダ姫),

Thanks for all your help, your the best for trying!

Yes, your right i bought it used but for 20 with 28 games i couldn't refuse even if the console didn't work

I tried everything you mentioned but still no luck, i gave it a thorough clean but i think there is too much corrosion over the base of the pin connector.

looks like its R.I.P good ol' snes, your days of providing people fun is finally over.
dj_mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:39 AM   #4
ゼルダ姫
aka - Shiiku
Points: 2,004, Level: 27 Points: 2,004, Level: 27 Points: 2,004, Level: 27
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Nunchuck User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic

My Mood: Tired
ゼルダ姫 is a jewel in the roughゼルダ姫 is a jewel in the roughゼルダ姫 is a jewel in the roughゼルダ姫 is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Profile of the Month Award NFF Old Man Award Princess Award 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via Skype™ to ゼルダ姫 PSN ID: SmashBrosSheik WiiU ID: Shiiku
Really? Well, that is a real shame. 28 games, and not being able to play a one so far? Man.

The previous owner, is this something you can return to them? Prior to purchasing, did you get much info on the product you were buying?
To me, it seems sort of fishy. It may or may not be a hardware issue then. Usually a good cleaning is what's needed. It's odd (but possible) that it might be so damaged in some way as to not actually work. Or well beyond it's life span, though my SNES still works quite well.

Such fishiness...

Some one may or may not be able to help you out still. I don't know too much about the innards, but if I find anything new, I'll post it. Hopefully someone can help you so that it's not completely over.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #5
jfreakofkorn
Posting freak
Points: 6,858, Level: 54 Points: 6,858, Level: 54 Points: 6,858, Level: 54

jfreakofkorn is a jewel in the roughjfreakofkorn is a jewel in the roughjfreakofkorn is a jewel in the roughjfreakofkorn is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards 
Total Awards: 1

the ones that i have i cleaned w/ achol. and a q tip ( like 3 to 5 times before i tried them )

afterwards tried them and they worked ...

if that doesnt work, its a bit more involved =/
jfreakofkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
vcube1234
Points: 225, Level: 4 Points: 225, Level: 4 Points: 225, Level: 4

vcube1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

WiiU ID: vcube1234
If your snes has a detachable pin connector, boil it, jam a game in and out a few times, and boil it some more. This works wonders with nes connectors, but it also works with snes ones
vcube1234 is offline   Reply With Quote