Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Gaming News

Notices

Gaming News Gaming News around the world.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
Megas75
A Festive Philistine
Points: 24,485, Level: 95 Points: 24,485, Level: 95 Points: 24,485, Level: 95
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

WiiU ID: Megas75
Nintendo announces the 2DS

Quote:
Nintendo announced the 2DS today, a new entry-level handheld system. The 2DS will be available for $129.99 on October 12th (the same day as Pokemon X and Y) and features a slate-like design rather than the clamshell seen on DS and 3DS models.

The 2DS is fully compatible with all 3DS and DS games but does not include the ability to display games in 3D. It still features all the functionality of 3DS (WiFi, local multiplayer, etc.) and can be put to sleep using a slider that replicates closing the clamshell on a standard 3DS. WiFi can still be turned off, though it’s done via controls in the software rather than with a physical switch.

2ds

“Imagine a standard 3DS laid all the way flat, and with the depth slider all the way down,” Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime explained to IGN. “Everything else is there in the system.”

The 2DS will launch in red and blue models to start and will be sold alongside the standard 3DS (still available for $169.99) and 3DS XL ($199.99). It will include a 4GB SD card and uses the same power source as 3DS and DSi. It also includes two cameras on the back side, so AR games still function and players can still take 3D photos -- they simply can’t be displayed on the 2DS, but are still viewable in full 3D if transferred to 3DS. The 2DS only includes one speaker, which plays mono sound, but features full stereo via its headphone jack.

According to Fils-Aime, the idea for the 2DS came from wanting to appeal to younger consumers, as the standard 3DS is aimed at players age seven and up.

Imagine a standard 3DS laid all the way flat, and with the depth slider all the way down. Everything else is there in the system.

“We’re always thinking about what we can do that’s new, unique, different, and brings more people into this category that we love,” Fils-Aime said. “And so with the Nintendo 3DS, we were clear to parents that, ‘hey, we recommend that your children be seven and older to utilize this device.’ So clearly that creates an opportunity for five-year-olds, six-year-olds, that first-time handheld gaming consumer."

"We’ve always been thinking about, 'how do we approach that as one target?'" he continued. "And that certainly helped spur the idea of the Nintendo 2DS. Let’s have the consumer have access to all of these great games – Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing – but do it in a 2D capability with a device that has a dramatically lower price point. That’s just an example of how we’re always thinking about, ‘how do we get more people playing games? How do we get more people playing Nintendo games?’”

Keep checking back to IGN for more on the 2DS as we approach its October launch.
SOURCE - http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/...-announces-2ds

I'm really not digging the ugly design, but for $130, I'm sure I can manage
Old 08-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 38,666, Level: 100 Points: 38,666, Level: 100 Points: 38,666, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Ice Bucket Challenge Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 14

Well it's for young kids so that's why it looks like a one of those leapfrogs or drawing tools.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
Tanis
Zvarri
Points: 6,194, Level: 51 Points: 6,194, Level: 51 Points: 6,194, Level: 51
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Daisy Flower User owns 1x Bomb User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

My Mood: Tired
Tanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Brawl AM First Time Award Signature of the Month Royalty Welcome Wagon Poster Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 6

3DS Friend Code: 034493603259 PSN ID: Tanis-sama WiiU ID: Peridot-sama
Looks like they realized no one really cares for 3D. That design is atrocious too.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
jfreakofkorn
Posting freak
Points: 6,858, Level: 54 Points: 6,858, Level: 54 Points: 6,858, Level: 54

jfreakofkorn is a jewel in the roughjfreakofkorn is a jewel in the roughjfreakofkorn is a jewel in the roughjfreakofkorn is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards 
Total Awards: 1

alot of people people are into this hand held thing

play while your bored kinda thing ....
jfreakofkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
Biggoron
Points: 1,070, Level: 17 Points: 1,070, Level: 17 Points: 1,070, Level: 17

Biggoron is just really niceBiggoron is just really niceBiggoron is just really niceBiggoron is just really nice

Send a message via Skype™ to Biggoron
Nice! The 3D gimmick is foolish, anyhow, imho. At $130 retail, it won't be long before I'm scooping these up @ $40 and less as they flood CraigsList - yay!

As a long-time connoisseur of handhelds, I have seen FAR worse offerings in recent years. Its obvious they are leaning to the pad/tablet market, and that suits me fine - no cheaply made hinges to break! (The downside being you lose the protection of a closable, full-body shell.)

Prediction: This will be the 'PSP Go' of the DS family. (And thats fine by me; there is more than enough room in my cupboards for all of 'em.)
Biggoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
Mikematute
Zombie Prosecutor
Points: 13,099, Level: 74 Points: 13,099, Level: 74 Points: 13,099, Level: 74
User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Triforce

My Mood: Gaming
Mikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of light

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty Review of the Month Poster 
Total Awards: 4

Oh you nintendo.
Good aim for younger ages, considering they have to deal with ipads and stuff.

WHO THE **** DO YOU THINK I AM
Mikematute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
ゼルダ姫
aka - Shiiku
Points: 2,004, Level: 27 Points: 2,004, Level: 27 Points: 2,004, Level: 27
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Nunchuck User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic

My Mood: Tired
ゼルダ姫 is a jewel in the roughゼルダ姫 is a jewel in the roughゼルダ姫 is a jewel in the roughゼルダ姫 is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Profile of the Month Award NFF Old Man Award Princess Award 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via Skype™ to ゼルダ姫 PSN ID: SmashBrosSheik WiiU ID: Shiiku
Nintendo is definitely full of surprises, that's for sure. I kind of don't know what to think.

I don't care for the choice of design, that I do know. Meh, probably something I'll never add to the collection. Can be fun for the kiddies though.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
Biggoron
Points: 1,070, Level: 17 Points: 1,070, Level: 17 Points: 1,070, Level: 17

Biggoron is just really niceBiggoron is just really niceBiggoron is just really niceBiggoron is just really nice

Send a message via Skype™ to Biggoron
Not sure why all the 'kiddie' comments, its the SAME existing hardware in a different shell, heh.
(If anything, it would seem to be NOT very kid-friendly....looks like decent-sized hands are required, no?)

To mention the painfully obvious: Nintendo = family/'kiddie'-friendly company.
Biggoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #9
Killua
Property Of Nicci
Points: 1,162, Level: 18 Points: 1,162, Level: 18 Points: 1,162, Level: 18
User owns 1x Four Sword User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Red Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Frog Suit User owns 1x Ruby User owns 1x Master Ball
User owns 1x Yellow Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Shuriken User owns 1x Mega Man

My Mood: Spaced
Killua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant futureKillua has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF's 4th Annual Award Poster 
Total Awards: 3

Yuck! That design is shit...

But I guess it goes back to what Kona-chan said.
It must be the drugs that got us doing this crazy shit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Fuentes View Post
I’ve been having this dream that we can fly, so maybe if we never wake up we can see the sky.
Killua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #10
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 38,666, Level: 100 Points: 38,666, Level: 100 Points: 38,666, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Ice Bucket Challenge Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killua View Post
Yuck! That design is shit...

But I guess it goes back to what Kona-chan said.
Pretty much.

@Big B, they did say themselves it's for kids. Mainly the no 3D aspect since 3D is (scientifically), 7+.

Actually this conversation might help people who for any reason have a problem with the design or the console itself;

22:52 - JemStar: Have you heard of the 2DS?
22:54 - Kryn: yeah
22:54 - Kryn: it looks cool
22:55 - JemStar: I don't get it but I haven't looked it up yet
22:55 - Kryn: it's just a 3DS with no 3D mode.
22:55 - Kryn: So kids under 7 can have one.
22:56 - JemStar: Ah okay
22:56 - JemStar: Makes sense

Ta-da.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Last edited by Konata; 08-28-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Konata is offline   Reply With Quote