Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Gaming News

Notices

Gaming News Gaming News around the world.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 23,468, Level: 94 Points: 23,468, Level: 94 Points: 23,468, Level: 94
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

WiiU ID: Megas75
Capcom only has $152 million in the bank

Quote:
Mobile growth, DLC and an end to outsourcing all on the agenda as Capcom struggles to move with the times

Capcom
capcom-europe.com

Capcom's fiscal 2013 report has stressed the need for sweeping change in the company, as it rebounds from a difficult period straight into the costs of a new hardware generation and an increasingly competitive mobile market.

While revenue actually climbed from 82 billion ($820m) to 94 billion ($940m) in the year ended March 31 2013, the company's attempts to pivot in virtually every aspect of its Digital Contents business - which comprises console, PC and mobile development, and accounted 67.7 per cent of all revenue - saw profits fall by more than half to just $31 million. Barring 2010, when it made a profit of $22 million, that makes fiscal 2013 Capcom's least profitable year since 2005.

In total, Capcom sold 14 million units of its games at retail, and only three releases passed 1 million sales. Indeed, two of that group performed well short of expectations: Resident Evil 6 sold 4.9 million against expectations of 7 million, and DmC: Devil May Cry sold 1.15 million units on expectations of 2 million. Capcom's single biggest success story in the console/PC space was Dragon's Dogma, a new IP, which sold a relatively modest 1.3 million units.

Nevertheless, Capcom expects revenue to hold next year and profits to roughly double, bringing it back in line with fiscal 2012's results. If it meets those expectations, however, it's unlikely to be down to packaged retail releases.

Capcom has forecast even slimmer returns for the next fiscal year, with only 13 million unit sales expected from a line-up that includes Lost Planet 3, Monster Hunter 4 and Dead Rising 3. Monster Hunter 4, which is scheduled for release this month, seems likely to meet its expected 2.8 million sales by the end of March 2014. The console release of Resident Evil: Revelations, launched in May, should also hit its relatively lowly 1.2 million target. But Lost Planet 3 is another matter - it may only need to sell 1.2 million to meet expectations, but it is off to a poor start in Japan, and its sales in the UK suggest that it will be among the calendar year's most notable failures. Between them, Capcom's three biggest console releases for the rest of this fiscal year are not expected to sell more than an under-performing Resident Evil 6 managed in six months.

Capcom's annual report notes the sluggish performance of the all-important console market on several occasions, and it certainly isn't the only company to feel the negative effects of that slowdown. However its performance throughout this generation has rarely been more than solid, leaving it in a difficult position for the challenges ahead. At present, Capcom has just over $152 million in cash, which isn't much for a company attempting to navigate the costly transition to a new hardware generation and the company-wide implementation of a service-based infrastructure.

Any console titles that fail to perform in the next two years will be increasingly difficult to bear, and Capcom now has two mid-term strategies in place to mitigate that risk. First, to push for quality by bringing previously outsourced work back into the company, pledging to hire 100 new staff in each of its consumer, mobile and PC online teams by the end of fiscal 2014.

The second is a stronger commitment to DLC with its consumer releases, with an aim of maximising the profitable life of each product. In this area, Capcom has exemplified the common criticisms of Japanese console and PC companies by falling dramatically behind the times. By Capcom's data, the DLC ratio for consumer releases last year was 39.7 per cent, but it managed just 14.1 per cent with its own products.

"I regret to say that, up to now, we had few plans for the full-scale implementation of DLC," said COO Haruhiro Tsujimoto. "From here on out, we need to focus on the long-term provision of content starting at the earliest stages of development. Furthermore, in terms of user response, if the additional related content we are providing continually to users online is deemed uninteresting from the start, there will be no ongoing business to pursue. This means that, more than ever before, the creation of underlying content is the key to success."

Capcom's other mid-term goals are associated with the high-growth market for mobile and online games. The company's online content was one of the few aspects of the business to show healthy growth, increasing 45.9 per cent to 22.9 billion ($229m). By March 2014, that is expected to increase a further 22.3 per cent, reaching 28 billion.

Exactly how Capcom intends to accomplish that is more difficult to pinpoint. Beeline's Smurf's Village has been the golden goose of the company's mobile and online strategy for almost three years, and the pressure is on to create another hit. Indeed, Capcom lists that very task as one of its key priorities for fiscal 2014, but the company is clearly aware of how fickle the mobile market can be, even to those building from existing success. For now, Capcom will concentrate on developing apps based on its existing brands.

"With Smurf's Village, we learned that there are not as many core users in this market as there are in the consumer market. Outside of Japan, people spend less money on mobile games, particularly in Europe and North America, making it a low-margin, high turnover business," said Tsujimoto.

"Today's mobile game industry is a world apparently full of dreams about making a fortune off a hit game. But if the hit is just a one-off, success is transient. For Capcom, it is crucial to maintain and deepen the user support we have worked so hard to earn up to now. We believe we can outperform other companies as long as we are able to continue this approach. This kind of strategy is already beginning to be implemented in Europe and North America, and we don't intend to be left behind. I keep coming back to this point, but the essence of a game's value is derived from it content-its worldview and characters, etc.

"Only companies that understand this and are able to continue providing customer satisfaction will be able to survive."
SOURCE - http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...difficult-fy13

Things don't looks so good for Capcom and despite my many frustrations with them I'd hate to see them go. But considering the fact that they're gonna increase emphasis on DLC despite that that's what everybody is hating them for, I'm gonna give them 2 years at most before they go under
Old 09-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
Rin
Nintendo King/Queen
Points: 39,442, Level: 100 Points: 39,442, Level: 100 Points: 39,442, Level: 100

Rin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant future

Awards Showcase
Royalty NFF 3rd Annual Award Level 100 Award Member of the Month Monster Poster Yoshi Poster 
Total Awards: 7

Seems to be mostly their own fault for mismanaging themselves. For the most part anyways. Can't say I care anymore.
Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 38,028, Level: 100 Points: 38,028, Level: 100 Points: 38,028, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 
Total Awards: 13

They should make something worthwhile then. Bored of DMC, RE, Lost Planet and Monster Hunter are not worth anything imo. People want Megaman, Final Fight, a Street Fighter that isn't still IV. What happened to Okami and Viewtiful Joe? I'd pay for a re-release of One Piece Mansion instantly.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 58,402, Level: 100 Points: 58,402, Level: 100 Points: 58,402, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

My Mood: Gaming
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 15

Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 3282-3036-3021 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: Brandyn_Johnson
This is where I would sneer and say karma has caught up to them, but them collapsing would mean countless people out of jobs and that's never a good thing. Plus, Street Fighter is one of my favorite game franchises and I'd hate to see that go away. So for those reasons I hope Capcom gets it together.

And I agree with Konata about Final Fight 4.

Ultra Street Fighter IV mains: Gen, Dudley, Ryu
Tekken Revolution mains: Steve Fox, Kazuya
Tekken 6 mains: Steve Fox, Jin, Hwoarang
King of Fighters XIII team: Ryo/Kim Kaphwan/Joe
Brandyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
Tanis
Ordinary
Points: 6,041, Level: 50 Points: 6,041, Level: 50 Points: 6,041, Level: 50
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Daisy Flower User owns 1x Bomb User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

My Mood: Tired
Tanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Brawl AM First Time Award Signature of the Month Royalty Welcome Wagon Poster Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 6

3DS Friend Code: 034493603259 PSN ID: Tanis-sama WiiU ID: Peridot-sama
Hope that they shape up and get their act together.

Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:20 AM   #6
Rai17
Actor
Points: 14,613, Level: 78 Points: 14,613, Level: 78 Points: 14,613, Level: 78
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Snake rope User owns 1x Yo-Yo User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom User owns 2x Super Mushroom User owns 1x Mr Saturn User owns 1x Invincibility Star
User owns 2x Rod Of Seasons User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 2x Daisy Flower User owns 1x Harp of Ages User owns 2x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Water Element

My Mood: Brooding
Rai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Yoshi NFF Old Man Award Celebrity Royalty NFF 3rd Annual Award Inventor Award NFF Promoter 
Total Awards: 9

but...but..ugh okay.
They need to get a grip. Buy a vowel. I'm stressed out enough as it is, I wouldnt wanna singlehandedly save a company.
*hairflip*

~ Leftovers of a Genius

-My Twitter
--My YouTube
---My Instagram
----The NFF Facebook Page
Rai17 is online now   Reply With Quote