Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Media Entertainment > Movie Reviews

Notices

Movie Reviews Post your movie reviews here.

Closed Review

Review Tools
Disaster Movie (Spoiler Heavy)
The Title Certainly Lives Up to the Response
Published by Lukario
08-31-2008
Author review
Movie Rating
40%40%40%
Average 40%

Where can I start? I could tell this movie wasn't that good when I noticed a grand total of about seven people once I walked into the theatre. I walked into this movie with low expectations, and I pretty much left with them. From the poor acting to the seemingly unnecessary references, this film certainly isn't something you want to bring home to your parents. What I do not seem to understand is why Jason Friedberg and and Aaron Seltzer continue to make such horrible movies. After all, I think they would get the point after films such as Epic Movie and Meet the Spartans were box-office flops. After viewing this movie, I was thinking that the title was fitting to the quality of this movie. I was genuinely exited when I heard former MADtv stars Ike Barinholtz and Nicole Parker were going to make appearances in this film, but it seems as though that was not enough to make this film something worth watching again, ever.

The following contains heavy spoilers. If you plan on actually watching this movie, and you don't want me to shatter your expectations, I suggest you leave now.

Synopsis
It is the year 10,001 BC and I guess some caveman dude is running away from some dinosaur, he then stumbles upon Amy Winehouse, who tells him that the world will end on August 29, 2008. It is then the main character's job, Will, to reclaim the Crystal Skull and return it to its rightful place before the entire world falls into an apocalypse.

My Thoughts

Plot

From the synopsis, you get a pretty basic idea of what the movie is about. Unfortunately, this concept proves to be horrible as the main character and his group of four friends (I guess you could call them that) venture through a city (the name is not mentioned) solving some mystery, which happens to be that they need to find the Crystal Skull and return it, as that it what is causing all of the havoc. There were also some gags in the movie, which didn't seem to add anything at all, and proved to be quite annoying. Such things as Hannah Montana being crushed by a meteor, and Kung Fu Panda in the museum. Seriously, why in hell did they put Kung Fu Panda in that movie? It was totally irrelevant, and top of the line stupid. Such stars as Beowulf and JT (Justin Timberlake) make unnecessary appearances as well. The plot was predictable, and the ending was nothing out of the ordinary. The film was not all bad, though, as there were some parts I did find funny (mind you, they were few and far.) The Alvin and the Chipmunks part was okay, and the part the whole thing with them having rabies was hilarious. The dancing scenes were also quite entertaining, and they were choreographed quite well. Other than that, there wasn't much good to say.

The Actors
Overall, there wasn't any Emmy award winning performances here. While there were a bunch of well known actors and comedians, they were nothing special. I was expecting more out of the MADtv actors, as I have seen them do a lot better and funnier roles. Carmen Electra, as usual, makes a small appearance in this film as well, though, it's nothing noteworthy. The actresses were pretty hot, though. TRL's Vanessa Minnillo is one of the main actresses, and she is pretty good looking. Eletra was also looking good, though, when doesn't she? If you like the actors a whole lot, then you might want to check this out. But I warn you, there's nothing amazing to find here, just actors making not so funny funnies.

Setting
Well, none is really defined, so there's not a lot to say here. It looks like some backlot, though, and you can tell in parts that it is.

Overall
I give this a 4.0/10. While the film had it's moments, they were exactly that: moments. The bad parts really stuck out, and the cheesy jokes and seemingly random cultural references make this one a definite discount bin item. After grossing a meager 2.2 million on opening day, this film is anywhere from promising. I honestly cannot reccomend this film to anyone, as it is just too trashy. I mean, I cannot see why anyone would want to see this. Just don't watch it, it's not worth the money. You have better things to spend it on, like another ticket to view The Dark Knight.

Lukario
Sponsored Links
By Skreamo on 08-31-2008, 12:05 AM
it sucked that bad?? daaaaaaaaaamn LOL
By Lukario on 08-31-2008, 12:09 AM
Seriously, it was a disaster.

Lukario
By Skreamo on 08-31-2008, 12:11 AM
ok thanx!! you just saved me some munny ^_^
By Lukario on 08-31-2008, 12:16 AM
No problem, man.

Lukario
By SeanMi on 08-31-2008, 01:39 AM
yeah these movies seem to get stupider and stupider (stupider is not a word). I wont bother seeing it.
By Virtual Anomoly on 08-31-2008, 09:37 PM
Lol all these sorts of movies are one big bowl of epic failure @_@
By smashfan120 on 09-01-2008, 08:51 PM
I kinda liked the movie
By Spirit on 09-03-2008, 11:03 AM
the movie did suck. Your review was really good Lukario.
By Xice on 10-01-2008, 08:18 AM
Looks Good.I hope to watch it soon.
Closed Review

Tags
hard, movie, sucked