Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Gaming News

Notices

Gaming News Gaming News around the world.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
jfreakofkorn
Posting freak
Points: 5,517, Level: 47 Points: 5,517, Level: 47 Points: 5,517, Level: 47

jfreakofkorn is a jewel in the roughjfreakofkorn is a jewel in the roughjfreakofkorn is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards 
Total Awards: 1

Gamestop Offering Deep Discounts For PS3 And 360 Ahead Of Next Console Generation

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...rtner=yahootix

Patient gamers out there can finally rejoice. If you’ve been putting off getting a particular console for years now, Gamestop is about to have some sales so deep, you might not be able to pass them up. Ahead of the launch of Sony's SNE -1.67% PS4 and Microsoft's MSFT +1.45% Xbox One, Gamestop is knocking down the price both companies’ old systems.

From October 11 to October 24 the original Xbox 360 is on sale for $99.99 (previously $129.99) and the Xbox 360 Slim 4 GB system is $119.99 (previously $179.99). Used PS3 hardware is on sale for $149.99 (previously $259.99).

Though many reading this likely own either an Xbox 360 or a PS3 at this point, most will likely not own both, which is the sort of thing that leads to the incredibly divisive “fanboy camps” as one side fails to realize the benefits of the other, simply because they don’t own the system. Video gaming is an expensive hobby, and many players will only be able to afford one console, which at a few hundred dollars each, is understandable.

But now? It might be time to cross over to the other side and see what you’ve been missing. This is especially relevant because the next generation of systems will not be backward compatible. In other words, the only way many players will be able to play classic PS3 or 360 games is to actually own the consoles. Until the ultra-HD re-releases, of course.

This situation happened to me a few years ago when after years of being an Xbox 360 loyalist, I finally realized I could afford a PS3 as well. That lead to a video game revelation for me, as I got to play games I’d long been missing out on, from God of War to Uncharted to Heavy Rain and more. If I was in the other camp, I’m sure I would have had fun finally getting to play through all of Gears of War and Halo.

Getting each of these systems for $100-$150 is a steal. And even better, most of their “classic” titles can be picked up for pretty cheap at this point, as it’s been years since their release. For “new era” exclusive classics like The Last of Us, the price point will still remain high, but if you pick up a PS3 and keep up your patient streak, the cost will drop eventually.

I don’t work for Gamestop and I’m not necessarily trying to push their specific sale. Rather, I think owning multiple systems can go a long way to bridging these sort of inane brand fanboy divides that make no sense to me. As soon as I owned both a 360 and a PS3, I stopped avidly defending one and attacking the other as I realized both had their pros and cons. And I’m going to buy both a One and a PS4 so I can try and continue to have a balanced perspective of what’s out there.
jfreakofkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 22,408, Level: 93 Points: 22,408, Level: 93 Points: 22,408, Level: 93
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

Maybe I should trade in my current Xbox for that slim
Old 10-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 37,030, Level: 100 Points: 37,030, Level: 100 Points: 37,030, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 
Total Awards: 13

I really want a PS3 slim.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 56,385, Level: 100 Points: 56,385, Level: 100 Points: 56,385, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

My Mood: Gaming
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 15

Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 3282-3036-3021 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: Brandyn_Johnson
I had been thinking of picking up a 360, but most of the great games are also on PS3, and when it boils down to the exclusives I feel like PS3 has more variety since I'm not an FPS junkie.

Nintendo/PlayStation Network ID: Brandyn_Johnson

Ultra Street Fighter IV mains: Gen, Dudley, Ryu
Tekken Revolution mains: Steve Fox, Kazuya
Tekken 6 mains: Steve Fox, Jin, Hwoarang
King of Fighters XIII team: Ryo/Kim Kaphwan/Joe
Brandyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
Mario
Just Chillaxin
Points: 52,005, Level: 100 Points: 52,005, Level: 100 Points: 52,005, Level: 100
User owns 1x Blue Shell User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Links Shield User owns 1x Gold Coin
User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Red Pikmin

Mario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF's 4th Annual Award Monster Poster NFF Old Man Award NFF 3rd Annual Award Royalty Level 100 Award Mufasa NFF 1st Annual Award 
Total Awards: 9

3DS Friend Code: 4450-2343-3333 WiiU ID: test123
Hey B, you get your PS3 fixed?

Started from the bottom, now we're here.
Mario is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #6
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 56,385, Level: 100 Points: 56,385, Level: 100 Points: 56,385, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword

Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month Level 100 Award 

Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 3282-3036-3021 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: Brandyn_Johnson
Yes it wad indeed the yellow light of death so it is repaired. Though eventually I will upgrade to a Super Slim with more GB.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
eloratings
Posting freak
Points: 3,592, Level: 37 Points: 3,592, Level: 37 Points: 3,592, Level: 37
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii

My Mood: Tired
eloratings is a splendid one to beholdeloratings is a splendid one to beholdeloratings is a splendid one to beholdeloratings is a splendid one to beholdeloratings is a splendid one to beholdeloratings is a splendid one to behold

Friend Codes
How much did u pay to get it fix Brandyn ?
Old 10-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #8
Brandyn
The Gentleman

Awards Showcase

Nothing because it was still under warranty.
But as I said I definately need to upgrade to the Super Slim because I want that 500 Gigabytes and I'd rather just get a new console than pay to have more GB installed.

As for a 360 I may still pick one up still just to see what I missed so to speak.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:28 AM   #9
Rai17
Actor
Points: 14,503, Level: 78 Points: 14,503, Level: 78 Points: 14,503, Level: 78
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Snake rope User owns 1x Yo-Yo User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom User owns 2x Super Mushroom User owns 1x Mr Saturn User owns 1x Invincibility Star
User owns 2x Rod Of Seasons User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 2x Daisy Flower User owns 1x Harp of Ages User owns 2x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Water Element

My Mood: Brooding
Rai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Yoshi NFF Old Man Award Celebrity Royalty NFF 3rd Annual Award Inventor Award NFF Promoter 
Total Awards: 9

But....but I want a fat PS3.
Backwards compatibility :c

~ Leftovers of a Genius

-My Twitter
--My YouTube
---My Instagram
----The NFF Facebook Page
Rai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:46 AM   #10
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 37,030, Level: 100 Points: 37,030, Level: 100 Points: 37,030, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 
Total Awards: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai17 View Post
But....but I want a fat PS3.
Backwards compatibility :c
My PS3 plays PS1 games, but not PS2 games. It's weird.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is online now   Reply With Quote