Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Nintendo Retro Consoles > Super Nintendo

Notices

Super Nintendo Super Nintendo section post here!

Old 10-30-2013, 03:36 AM   #1
Arctic Jack
Goomba
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1

Arctic Jack is an unknown quantity at this point

PAL or NTSC for UK SNES buyer?

Hello,

I got out of gaming many years ago so my knowledge of gaming hasnt progressed beyond N64 times. Im looking to buy a SNES at the moment and have a few questions Id like answering.

1. I live in the UK which uses PAL for its SNES consoles. Is it worth buying an American NTSC SNES instead, as Ive read it runs faster than the European PAL? Would this limit slowdown occurring when things got hectic on the PAL system?

2. If I do buy an NTSC system will Ill be able to play games from the Japanese market?

3. How do the SNES PAL and NTSC consoles work on new HD 50 TVs? Will I need to buy additional leads or devices to get them to work properly?

Any help would be great, thank you...
Arctic Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2013, 05:09 AM   #2
Cosmic Dust
Points: 559, Level: 11 Points: 559, Level: 11 Points: 559, Level: 11

Cosmic Dust is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I think googling will answer these questions but from my memory-

Hello,

I got out of gaming many years ago so my knowledge of gaming hasn’t progressed beyond N64 times. I’m looking to buy a SNES at the moment and have a few questions I’d like answering.

1. I live in the UK which uses PAL for its SNES consoles. Is it worth buying an American NTSC SNES instead, as I’ve read it runs faster than the European PAL? Would this limit ‘slowdown’ occurring when things got hectic on the PAL system?

I do not think there would be much difference with slow down as the Uk pal system games often have borders so the display is slightly smaller,so if say R-type or Super Mario World slow down on PAL then they still most likely would full screen on a NTSC machine.

2. If I do buy an NTSC system will I’ll be able to play games from the Japanese market?

Not without a way of bypassing two pegs inside the cart slot of the NTSC unit,you can see the two grooves on the back of the US carts and JPN super famicom games do not have these groves.There is of course ways of removing these two pegs in the cart slot of the US units but you will have to search online for this.

3. How do the SNES PAL and NTSC consoles work on new HD 50” TV’s? Will I need to buy additional leads or devices to get them to work properly?

Some older digital tvs may have an analogue tuner for old systems that have rf cables otherwise you can purchase SNES AV Scart or composite cables (yellow,red,white) which you can plug into modern tvs.Again you might want to search google for info on Snes AV cables.

I hope this helps
Cosmic Dust is offline   Reply With Quote