Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Nintendo DS/DSI/3DS

Notices

Nintendo DS/DSI/3DS Anything Nintendo DS, DS Lite, 3DS, and DSi related.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:00 AM   #1
Nintenduendo
Estupidez
Points: 16,499, Level: 82 Points: 16,499, Level: 82 Points: 16,499, Level: 82
User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Super Mushroom

My Mood: Cold
Nintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster NFF Annual Awards Profile of the Month Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Poster NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 6

Nintendo Shuts down SpotPass function in Swapnote/Letter Box Globally

Official word from Nintendo:

Quote:
Thank you for your support.

Nintendo has learned that some consumers, including minors, have been exchanging their friend codes on Internet bulletin boards and then using Swapnote (known as Nintendo Letter Box in other regions) to exchange offensive material. Nintendo has been investigating ways of preventing this and determined it is best to stop the SpotPass feature of Swapnote because it allows direct exchange of photos and was actively misused.

Nintendo always wants to provide a positive experience for all consumers and limit the risk of any inappropriate activity or misuse of a service. We feel it is important on this occasion to take this action.

We are very sorry for any inconvenience to the many consumers who have been using this service responsibly; however this decision was made considering the point that many minors also use this feature of Swapnote. Thank you for your understanding.

Nintendo will continue to work to ensure more consumers are aware of our Parental Control features, which allow parents to manage their children's experience on our systems. For more information, please click here.

Service stop date: Thursday, Oct. 31, 2013, 7 p.m. PT
Service being stopped: Nintendo 3DS software Swapnote - Sending and receiving notes using SpotPass
Affected regions: All regions where the service was offered
Special Notes services are also stopped
Source: GoNintendo

Farewell, Nikki. You were too good for this flawed world.

Nintenduendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2013, 12:20 AM   #2
Tanis
Ordinary
Points: 6,117, Level: 50 Points: 6,117, Level: 50 Points: 6,117, Level: 50
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Daisy Flower User owns 1x Bomb User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

My Mood: Tired
Tanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Brawl AM First Time Award Signature of the Month Royalty Welcome Wagon Poster Review of the Month 

3DS Friend Code: 034493603259 PSN ID: Tanis-sama WiiU ID: Peridot-sama
I really think they're jumping the gun on this one. I didn't use it much, but it was a neat feature and I can understand the backlash that they are/will be getting from this. Hopefully this gets reversed soon.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
SanePsychoSuper
Basic Contradiction
Points: 3,737, Level: 38 Points: 3,737, Level: 38 Points: 3,737, Level: 38
User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Crappy
SanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to behold

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Profile of the Month Award Signature of the Month Poster NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelorette Award Princess Award Profile of the Month Award 
Total Awards: 7

;.; I used it and loved it. This really sucks.
SanePsychoSuper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
Nintenduendo
Estupidez

Nintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster NFF Annual Awards Profile of the Month Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Poster NFF Debater 

Well, this is what happens when minors add each other and send drawings of dicks to each other.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
SanePsychoSuper
Basic Contradiction
Points: 3,737, Level: 38 Points: 3,737, Level: 38 Points: 3,737, Level: 38
User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Crappy
SanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to beholdSanePsychoSuper is a splendid one to behold

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Profile of the Month Award Signature of the Month Poster NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelorette Award Princess Award Profile of the Month Award 
Total Awards: 7

Well, from what it sounds like, it wasn't really a problem until you were able to add pics to notes. So I think it might have been a lil more than drawings. x.x
SanePsychoSuper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:20 AM   #6
Nintenduendo
Estupidez

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanePsychoSuper View Post
Well, from what it sounds like, it wasn't really a problem until you were able to add pics to notes. So I think it might have been a lil more than drawings. x.x
I'm gonna play Devil's Advocate here and hope that this means we'll get Miiverse integration on 3DS soon because of this, and hopefully have Swapnote folded into that same integration.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
Rai17
Actor
Points: 14,649, Level: 78 Points: 14,649, Level: 78 Points: 14,649, Level: 78
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Snake rope User owns 1x Yo-Yo User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom User owns 2x Super Mushroom User owns 1x Mr Saturn User owns 1x Invincibility Star
User owns 2x Rod Of Seasons User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 2x Daisy Flower User owns 1x Harp of Ages User owns 2x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Water Element

My Mood: Brooding
Rai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Yoshi NFF Old Man Award Celebrity Royalty NFF 3rd Annual Award Inventor Award NFF Promoter 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintenduendo View Post
Well, this is what happens when minors add each other and send drawings of dicks to each other.
Not to mention actual pictures... o.e
Yeah I did some research. Minors are exchanging codes and sending nudes.
Why. Just why.

~ Leftovers of a Genius

-My Twitter
--My YouTube
---My Instagram
----The NFF Facebook Page
Rai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
Nintenduendo
Estupidez

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai17 View Post
Not to mention actual pictures... o.e
Yeah I did some research. Minors are exchanging codes and sending nudes.
Why. Just why.
I heard from /v/ that some girl in Japan got murdered after a guy kidnapped her, and Swapnote was used to send lewd pics between the perp and the girl.

That's what got parents frazzled, and what got Nintendo frazzled, and now we here.

At least, that's what I heard.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:19 AM   #9
Geamerlynn
Points: 666, Level: 13 Points: 666, Level: 13 Points: 666, Level: 13

Geamerlynn will become famous soon enoughGeamerlynn will become famous soon enough

WiiU ID: GoldenViking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintenduendo View Post
I heard from /v/ that some girl in Japan got murdered after a guy kidnapped her, and Swapnote was used to send lewd pics between the perp and the girl.

That's what got parents frazzled, and what got Nintendo frazzled, and now we here.

At least, that's what I heard.
Where did you hear that?
Old 01-21-2014, 11:38 AM   #10
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 38,287, Level: 100 Points: 38,287, Level: 100 Points: 38,287, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Ice Bucket Challenge Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geamerlynn View Post
Where did you hear that?
/v/, a board on 4chan.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is offline   Reply With Quote