Game Guides Game Guides and FAQ

Comment

Article Tools
Competitive Pokemon Battling Basics
Published by SuperGamecube64
11-08-2013

I want to start out by saying that I am not some amazing trainer who wipes the floor with everyone. However, I do understand some of the finer points of competitive battling that seem to confuse those just trying to get into it. Competitive Pokemon is very fun and strategic. There are many soruce that can help you with EV training and IVs, such as Smogon, Serebii, and Bulbapedia. We'll talk more about EVs and IVs shortly. I would like to note that these sites should only be used as a reference tool. Be creative - use a Pokemon in a way others don't. Just because a Pokemon makes a good sweeper, or wall doesn't mean it has to be one! Please note that as of this guide's writing, Pokemon X and Y have only been around for a few weeks. These games have changed the metagame so much, and there is still little information available regarding some of the new species and mega evolutions.

Terminology

Attacking Lead - Pokemon with high attack whose main purpose is dishing out high damage.

Auto Weather - Pokemon that cause weather effects as soon as they enter battle.

Baton Passer - Baton Pass is a useful move that passes all stat boosts onto another Pokemon. Pokemon who utilize this move are known as Baton Passers.

Generation - Refers to which incarnation of Pokemon is being played. There are currently 6 generations of Pokemon.

Cleric - A Pokemon that specializes in healing itself, other Pokemon, or both.

Dedicated Lead - If a team is built around or to cater to 1 specific Pokemon, that Pokemon is the dedicated lead.

Dual Screener - A Pokemon whose main purpose are the moves light screen and reflect.

EV - Short for "effort value". Determines which stats a Pokemon will specialize in.

Glass Cannon - A Pokemon with extraordinary attacking power that is defensively very weak.

IV - Short for Individual Values. Determines a Pokemons natural leniency towards specific stats.

Mixed Sweeper - A Pokemon capable of dealing devastating damage with both physical and special attacks.

OHKO - "One Hit Knock Out"

Pivot - A Pokemon that forces the opponent to change Pokemon, either via an attack such as roar, or through being a threat.

Physical - An attack that deals damage based on the Attack stat.

Physical Sweeper - A Pokemon capable of dealing devastating damage with physical attacks.

Rapid Spinner - A Pokemon whose main function is to use Rapid Spin to remove obstacles such as spikes or stealth rocks.

Residual Damage - Damage not cause from direct attacks. May include weather damage, poison or burn, and even recoil.

Revenge Killer - A Pokemon that instantly KOs a Pokemon immediately following one of its own teammates being KOd.

Special - attacks that deal damage based on the Special Attack stat.

Special Sweeper - A Pokemon capable of dealing devastating damage using Special attacks.

Spinblocking - Using a ghost type to stop an opponent from being able to use Rapid Spin.

STAB - "Same Type Attack Bonus". For example, a grass type Pokemon using Razor Leaf will get a 50% damage bonus because Razor Leaf is a grass type attack.

Stallbreaker - A Pokemon used to effectively obliterate walls and tanks.

Status Absorber - Pokemon that are immune to or that are able to remove status effects such as poison or burn.

Suicide Lead - Pokemon that utilizes moves such as explosion, or even destiny bond, sacrificing itself for an advantage.

Supporter - Pokemon used to provide backup and effects for other Pokemon. Baton Passers and Clerics are supporters.

Tank - A Pokemon with great offensive and defensive capabilities.

Trapper - Pokemon who cause the opponent to, for lack of a better term, be stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Wall - A Pokemon with extraordinary HP and defenses capable of taking many heavy blows.

Wallbreaker - A Pokemon set up specifically to take out walls quickly and effectively.

Weather - Moves such as hail or sandstorm.

WORK IN PROGRESS, MORE TO COME.
Published by
Futtbuck Bro no.1
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64

Article Tools
Sponsored Links
By Rai17 on 11-19-2013, 08:14 AM
That IV and EV thing helped. I tended to ignore it whenever it came up in websites and conversations.
By Mario on 11-19-2013, 03:42 PM
Good guide there SGC64. I'm sure many will find this useful.
By Rai17 on 11-20-2013, 10:08 AM
I need wall Pokemon, I tend to attack things head-on. Just ask Tanis :L
By Konata on 11-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Don't be a try-hard Rai! I have no walls either! I'm more of a glass cannon/sweeper kind of guy. Although I do have a sneaky stall which I enjoy using.

This one guy I played was such a .. ugh. Blissey and Skarmory, the rest of the team were OU/Uber, I just don't enjoy playing that kinda game. Down with the meta!
By SanePsychoSuper on 11-20-2013, 06:50 PM
I attack things head-on too, Rai, and I suck at it. Ask Konata. He kicked my ass. lol
By SuperGamecube64 on 11-20-2013, 08:04 PM
Gonna get back on this soon, been working like crazy.
By Tanis on 11-20-2013, 08:24 PM
I've been thinking about getting rid of my baton passer, but I don't know what to replace it with.
By Konata on 11-21-2013, 07:15 AM
Use Muk, Tanis. Best Pokemon in the game. 1-hit KO everything. Faster than that pesky Blaziken.
By Misdirection on 12-07-2013, 08:54 PM
Ah, dude this is awesome. I'm hoping to get into competitive battling, so I'm looking forward to this. I'm especially curious as to how IV and Ev training works.
Comment