Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Other Reviews

Notices

Other Reviews Playstation, Xbox, PC, or any other console game Review. Also console reviews too

Comment

Review Tools
Breath Of Fire III Review
Published by Kid Dynamite
11-18-2013
Author review
Graphics
75%75%75%
Storyline
90%90%90%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
90%90%90%
Average 89%

Hi Everyone.

This is my first time doing a review so please bear with me. lol

In my opinion, this game is one of the most underrated titles out there today. It combines a classic turn-based battle system in which the main hero (Ryu) can morph into various dragon forms by using little crystals called "Genes". You can mix and match them to see different types of dragons. Whelps or Grand Dragons.

There is a particular gene called "Fusion". When used, it transforms Ryu into many forms depending on who is in your party at the time. Ryu extracts special characteristics from the other party members during battle and morphs into a devastating hybrid form.

One of my favorite features is the "Master System". Depending on you conduct yourself during the game, different masters will train you to learn new abilities. Each master has their own special abilities to teach. Not every master will teach you unless you meet certain requirements that they tell you to do before they accept you. Every master has their good points and bad points. At level up your vital statistics are altered depending on who your master is at the time. The all pluses and minuses.

Let's have a look at the characters.

Ryu is the hero of the game. He is considered part of the "Brood" and has the ability to morph into many dragon forms. He's a powerful attacker but could use a little more defense. Upon level up his stats boost pretty fast. Just remember that his master influences the numbers.

This little turd doesn't look like much, but is a powerhouse with respect to HP and Defense. He's not the most accurate attacker but does learn many effective breath weapons to aid your party in battle. Other than that, there really isn't too much more to the little guy.

Teepo is Rei's partner in crime. They're thieves that are pretty decent fighters. Teepo has a decent set of spells and has great agility. Not too much more to say here.

Garr is my favorite character. He's the total package. Brains, brawn, style, the whole works. His purpose in the game becomes more and more clear as the game progresses. Great spells, powerful attacks, and mega wisdom making his spells brutal! Definitely tough enough to fight up front.

Long story short, Momo is a scholar. Here attacker are carried out by way of canon and spells. She has many curative spells with a high wisdom to boot. Her accuracy with her weapons leaves much to be desired, but there is an item in the game that corrects that issue. White mage type girl!

Just awesome! He has the speed of a cobra and a powerful special ability
that transforms into a "WereTiger". There's a catch to it though. He can open some locked doors hiding treasure and stuff. All around decent character.

She's royalty. She's very nimble and high wisdom and intelligence. She's black and white mage combined. Very useful if not essential to succeed in the game.

A couple of screenshots:

One of the best features in the game in my opinion is the fishing. You can use the fish you've caught as items in battle or you can trade them with Manillo. Manillo is merchant fish who accepts certain fish in trade for his items which are rare, that range from weapons, items, accessories, etc. He's awesome! Use him often. The fishing system is very simple.

In closing, this game is just a fantastic example of a great game without the need for superior graphics. The story gets more and more engrossing
as game time passes. The weapon and item shops are reasonable in prices at every stage of the game. Check it out. You won't be disappointed! Trust KD on this one!
Sponsored Links
By Brandyn on 11-21-2013, 12:49 AM
"Trust KD on this one"?
That's just like signing off a review with Reviews you can tru-....

Not bad, but it reads more like a guide or wikipedia description than a review. It's hard for me to explain but check out the works of AlloftheAbove for a better idea on how to do it.
By Kid Dynamite on 11-21-2013, 01:01 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
75%75%75%
Storyline
90%90%90%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
90%90%90%
Average 89%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
"Trust KD on this one"?
That's just like signing off a review with Reviews you can tru-....

Not bad, but it reads more like a guide or wikipedia description than a review. It's hard for me to explain but check out the works of AlloftheAbove for a better idea on how to do it.
Hi Brandyn.
Thank you for your advice. I'll keep it in mind in case I do another review in the future. I've never done one before and your advice helps. I'm not just saying that either. I'd be stupid to not take the advice of someone more experienced. I've got to walk before I can run. Right? If you have any other suggestions, please school me. It will help me learn to become a better reviewer.

God Bless.
KD
By Brandyn on 11-21-2013, 01:09 AM
It's all good, all writers stumble at first. AotA, SuperGameCube64, and myself have been writing reviews here for years now so we'd be happy to help. It's good that you are open to suggestions/constructive criticism as opposed to many who are very defensive and stubborn at the beginning (which I was like at first).

The input I can give so far is to perhaps find a way to blend your opinions with descriptions for a more fluid review?
By Kid Dynamite on 11-21-2013, 02:46 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
75%75%75%
Storyline
90%90%90%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
90%90%90%
Average 89%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
It's all good, all writers stumble at first. AotA, SuperGameCube64, and myself have been writing reviews here for years now so we'd be happy to help. It's good that you are open to suggestions/constructive criticism as opposed to many who are very defensive and stubborn at the beginning (which I was like at first).

The input I can give so far is to perhaps find a way to blend your opinions with descriptions for a more fluid review?
Will do!
By SuperGamecube64 on 11-25-2013, 01:06 PM
This is what I call "wikipedia syndrome". Basically, the reviews is more like random information about the game followed by you backing or not backing it. Most reviewers make at least one review like this when they're starting out.

The purpose of a review - any review, is to express an opinion. You have to ask yourself: Do I Like this game? What do/don't I like about it? Why do/don't these aspects bother me?
By Brandyn on 11-25-2013, 04:24 PM
As a new reviewer trying to find your feet perhaps you should try segmenting them, having a paragraph for each aspect like Graphics, Sound, Gameplay, Presentation, Replay Value, etc.
By Kid Dynamite on 12-03-2013, 10:23 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
75%75%75%
Storyline
90%90%90%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
90%90%90%
Average 89%
Thanks again guys. I don't mind being schooled by others. It helps me learn. I appreciate your taking the time to give me some advice.
By jfreakofkorn on 12-04-2013, 08:20 AM
from what i get from reviews, is an overview of the item. in this case, a game.

opinions on the plot, characters, game play, controls, etc ( should be broken up in sections/ paragraphs, which would make it easy to read and to follow ) ..... also your thoughts on the game itself ...

and what would you think, in making any improvements ( would make the game better ) ....
Comment