Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > General Chat

Notices

General Chat Post away about anything in general just remember no content that would fit in other sections.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:55 PM   #1
Jason
Points: 768, Level: 14 Points: 768, Level: 14 Points: 768, Level: 14
User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Red Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Yellow Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Light Blue Chaos Emerald

My Mood: Fine
Jason has much to be proud ofJason has much to be proud ofJason has much to be proud ofJason has much to be proud ofJason has much to be proud ofJason has much to be proud ofJason has much to be proud ofJason has much to be proud ofJason has much to be proud of

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month Super Member Signature of the Month Poster NFF Annual Awards Member of the Month 
Total Awards: 6

Chess Thread

Hey Everyone.

I'm running the risk of a huge fail here, but it wouldn't be the first time. I'm not a computer genius, but I've been gaming and playing chess for around 22 years. Before I go on, I'm not claiming to be some grandmaster or world champion. I'm just a guy who loves the game.

If anybody wants, I can teach you how to cut your opponent to pieces. By the time I'm done with you, you will absolutely crush most average and casual players frequently. Again, I'm not some chess God or world champion, but I can teach you things that will blow your mind!

If anyone cares to play me a couple of games, click the link and register. Add me to your friends list so you can challenge me without having to go through all the hoopla by the site. My username is SoulCrush. Just let me know which time control you prefer. Do you like 5 minute games, 15 minute games, 30 minute games right up to 2 hour games, even weekly games?

Some players like to take it slow giving themselves a day or even a week between moves. Just make your move on your own time. I check the site several times a day to see if my opponent made his or her move.

That's basically it. If you are interested, contact me.

SITE:
http://www.redhotpawn.com/

Last edited by Jason; 12-04-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Jason is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2013, 12:02 AM   #2
Gareth

I'm dying at the thought of Iron Mike playing chess.

Does sound pretty good though.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:06 AM   #3
Jason
User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Red Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Yellow Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Light Blue Chaos Emerald

Jason has much to be proud ofJason has much to be proud ofJason has much to be proud ofJason has much to be proud ofJason has much to be proud ofJason has much to be proud ofJason has much to be proud ofJason has much to be proud ofJason has much to be proud of

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month Super Member Signature of the Month Poster NFF Annual Awards Member of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
I'm dying at the thought of Iron Mike playing chess.

Does sound pretty good though.
And you won't have to worry about me biting your ear off.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #4
Gareth

I would love to learn, i understand how to play and used to play with my Dad as a kid but used to get my ass whupped.

Would be great to beat the old man years later.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:09 AM   #5
Jason

Awards Showcase

Quote:

I would love to learn, i understand how to play and used to play with my Dad as a kid but used to get my ass whupped.

Would be great to beat the old man years later.
Hi Gareth.

Because you already know how the pieces move, all that's left is having a reason for each move you make. Never make a move just for the sake of making a move. There must be a reason behind it. Below are some of the basics.(Even grandmasters review the basics from time to time to stay sharp.)

PIECE VALUES

Rook=5
Queen=9
Knight=3.0
Bishop=3.1
Pawn=1
King=Infinite

GENERAL TIPS

1. Castle early.

2. Don't bring your Queen out too early. Your opponent will keep kicking her around with knights and bishops causing you to waste time moving her when you should be developing your pieces.

4. Don't set a trap and hope that your opponent will fall into it. Should your opponent see your trap he or she will just develop pieces and make sound moves causing much damage. Quite often players will set traps without thinking about what will happen should the trap fail. I've seen it in so many tournaments. Players put themselves in danger just hoping to God that their opponent falls for it. The trap fails and you are stuck with an appalling position which often ends with a loss.

5. Respect your pawns. They're a very important piece. They're all baby queens should they make it to the last rank and "Queen". Your rooks are your castles and your pawns are your front gate and walls. Protect them.

6. If you have a winning position, do whatever it takes to finish it. Don't get fancy. It would surprise you at how many player's games had a winning position and ended up with a draw because they were up material and decided to get cute.

7. Don't tie down your minor pieces (Knights and Bishops) defending pawns. This can cause much trouble. Pawns are very capable of defending themselves if the correct moves are made.

I'll add some additional info at a later date.

Last edited by Jason; 12-04-2013 at 03:13 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:34 AM   #6
Gareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Dynamite View Post
Hi Gareth.

Because you already know how the pieces move, all that's left is having a reason for each move you make. Never make a move just for the sake of making a move. There must be a reason behind it. Below are some of the basics.(Even grandmasters review the basics from time to time to stay sharp.)

PIECE VALUES

Rook=5
Queen=9
Knight=3.0
Bishop=3.1
Pawn=1
King=Infinite

GENERAL TIPS

1. Castle early.

2. Don't bring your Queen out too early. Your opponent will keep kicking her around with knights and bishops causing you to waste time moving her when you should be developing your pieces.

4. Don't set a trap and hope that your opponent will fall into it. Should your opponent see your trap he or she will just develop pieces and make sound moves causing much damage. Quite often players will set traps without thinking about what will happen should the trap fail. I've seen it in so many tournaments. Players put themselves in danger just hoping to God that their opponent falls for it. The trap fails and you are stuck with an appalling position which often ends with a loss.

5. Respect your pawns. They're a very important piece. They're all baby queens should they make it to the last rank and "Queen". Your rooks are your castles and your pawns are your front gate and walls. Protect them.

6. If you have a winning position, do whatever it takes to finish it. Don't get fancy. It would surprise you at how many player's games had a winning position and ended up with a draw because because they were up material and decided to get cute.

7. Don't tie down your minor pieces (Knights and Bishops) defending pawns. This can cause much trouble. Pawns are very capable of defending themselves if the correct moves are made.

I'll add some additional info at a later date.
Oh my god this is amazing, thank you.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:42 AM   #7
Jason

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Oh my god this is amazing, thank you.
No problem. Anytime.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 38,654, Level: 100 Points: 38,654, Level: 100 Points: 38,654, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Ice Bucket Challenge Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 14

I played chess back in highschool because we had to. It's an okay game.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
Jason

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konata View Post
I played chess back in highschool because we had to. It's an okay game.
Hi Konata.
Yeah. Chess isn't as exciting as the Super Bowl or anything. lol It's the kind of game that you like or you don't. No real in-between.

Last edited by Jason; 12-05-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #10
ゼルダ姫
aka - Shiiku
Points: 2,004, Level: 27 Points: 2,004, Level: 27 Points: 2,004, Level: 27
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Nunchuck User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic

My Mood: Tired
ゼルダ姫 is a jewel in the roughゼルダ姫 is a jewel in the roughゼルダ姫 is a jewel in the roughゼルダ姫 is a jewel in the rough

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Profile of the Month Award NFF Old Man Award Princess Award 
Total Awards: 3

Send a message via Skype™ to ゼルダ姫 PSN ID: SmashBrosSheik WiiU ID: Shiiku
Oh my memories of yesteryear!
I used to play this game all the time with family and friends as a child and teen. I was never too good at it, but it is fun for sure!

I wouldn't mind signing up to play, :]