Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy III
Published by Kid Dynamite
12-08-2013
Author review
Graphics
75%75%75%
Storyline
85%85%85%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
75%75%75%
Average 84%
Final Fantasy III

Released in 1994 by Squaresoft this installment would be one more mega hit in the legendary rpg series from Squaresoft Inc. I had already completed Final Fantasy II long before I purchased this sequel. True to form this one blew me away as much as II did. Because of it's high price at a little north of $50 at the time, I sold many of my rare comic books that I was collecting to pay for it. Best money ever spent. I miss the comics which values have skyrocketed since back then, but this kind of game is the game that keeps on giving. Always something new to discover each time you play it.

Compared to II, this one dominates in my opinion. It has everything that II did and much more. The programmers really went right to town on adding new features and ideas that blew my mind! Instead of Just having summon creatures around for only one character, they used the "Esper" name and system that any character class could use. This opened up a whole bunch of different tactics and strategy that the player could use. The ability for the characters to learn new spells from the Esper they were equipped with was fantastic! I wish they had that feature in II, but it just wasn't in the cards I guess. Learning these spells basically made any class of character become a magic user as well as their default class. A dual class if you will. The combinations were so vast it's incredible. I found this new flavor to the Espers along with their reasonable summoning cost trumps the summon creatures for II all day long.

For me, another huge factor was the improvement in the music. They really raised the bar since II. I found it very fitting and very appropriate to aspects such as in the battle scenes. They were much more polished also. The sound effects I found a slight bit better and more polished as well. The characters are much better all around. They really made the effort to make them better and with new abilities as well. I mean who would have thought of a character who's attacks included painting a portrait of a monster in battle as an attack? Not to mention one that uses a deck of cards to attack with! lol Being able to use a Yeti for one is just hilarious. I couldn't believe it when Umaro joined me. The character's levelling up are much quicker and they system's generosity with respect to how many hit points each character receives upon levelling up is definitely noticeable. These new characters and their special abilities rival any from any other rpg I've ever played. They really raised the bar on this aspect. Another improvement was the random encounter rate and the speed of the battles. The encounter rate in II was a little too often in my opinion. I also found that during battle II was a little slower with respect to the speed in which the characters and monsters used to attack. They're a little faster in III.

I was very impressed with the accessories. The "Exp. Egg" was just awesome! Being a gamer who loves to level grind, the egg was welcomed with much jubilation. Monsters and bosses seemed to drop more decent and often rare items after battle which I'm not complaining about. lol There was also much generosity with respect to your characters resistance against getting hit with various negative status effects. Poison for example. It's nice because often, the status effects are a pain early in the game when the ribbon isn't available until much later in the game. The arena where you bet items is cool. You have to bet decent ones or Chupon just sneezes them away. The auction was just awesome! Getting Odin there is cool also. I'm hard pressed to think of anything that I didn't like about this game. If I had any complaints it would be that they went a little overboard when finding dumbass items in chests that are as useless as tits on a duck often times. When you are on the floating continent where many of the game's most cheesy and difficult monsters hang out, there's a strong chance that a Hi-Potion isn't going to be of much help. They could have added a few more save zones throughout the game's dungeons and such as well. Other than that, everything was great. Compared to all of the other role playing titles for the snes, I would say that this title is equal to superior than any of the others. It's just a damn good game on a damn good console. If you ever have the chance to check it out or are thinking about replaying it again sometime, do it. Playing it a second time can be just as exciting due to the amount of gravity the randomness in this title has. You won't be disappointed.

Published by
Über Zealot
Kid Dynamite has much to be proud ofKid Dynamite has much to be proud ofKid Dynamite has much to be proud ofKid Dynamite has much to be proud ofKid Dynamite has much to be proud ofKid Dynamite has much to be proud ofKid Dynamite has much to be proud ofKid Dynamite has much to be proud ofKid Dynamite has much to be proud of
Sponsored Links
By Brandyn on 12-08-2013, 09:27 PM
Nice improvement for your first review, KD.
Only thing, because of the size of your pictures, you should edit them and put one under the other instead of side by side. Same with the YouTube videos. Because it makes the box containing the post stretch out really wide and the readers have to keep scrolling over to the right as they read which makes it hard to read.
By Kid Dynamite on 12-08-2013, 09:34 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
75%75%75%
Storyline
85%85%85%
Controls/Gameplay
100%100%100%
Sound
75%75%75%
Average 84%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
Nice improvement for your first review, KD.
Only thing, because of the size of your pictures, you should edit them and put one under the other instead of side by side. Same with the YouTube videos. Because it makes the box containing the post stretch out really wide and the readers have to keep scrolling over to the right as they read which makes it hard to read.
Thanks for telling me that Brandyn. I was wondering about that but wasn't sure. I'll edit it now.
Comment