Nintendo Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > General Chat

Notices

General Chat Post away about anything in general just remember no content that would fit in other sections.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
jfreakofkorn
Posting freak
Points: 3,837, Level: 39 Points: 3,837, Level: 39 Points: 3,837, Level: 39

jfreakofkorn is a jewel in the roughjfreakofkorn is a jewel in the roughjfreakofkorn is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards 
Total Awards: 1

NY man's 10,607 video games secure Guinness title

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ny-mans-10-607-video-0604...

By Carolyn Thompson, Associated Press December 24, 2013 1:32 PM

In this Sept. 1, 2013 photo provided by Brianna Blank, Michael Thomasson poses in the basement of his suburban Buffalo home, where he stores his collection of video games. Thomasson is featured in the just-released “Guinness World Records 2014 Gamer’s Edition,” for having the largest collection of video games, 10,607. The number bests the previous record holder, Richard Lecce of Florida, who had 8,616 games in 2010. (AP Photo/Brianna Blank)

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) -- Maybe it was getting his first video game, Cosmic Avenger, for Christmas at age 12, and then having to wait an entire year for the hard-to-land Colecovision console to play it on that made Michael Thomasson so determined to get his hands on every video game and system he could find.

Now, 31 years and roughly 11,000 games later, Thomasson is the newly crowned world record holder for having the largest collection of video games. He is featured in a two-page spread in the just-released "Guinness World Records 2014 Gamer's Edition."

"I have games on cartridge, laser disc. I have VHS-based games, cassette-based games," Thomasson said, standing among the collection that fills the basement of his suburban Buffalo home.

Along with the games, he has the devices to play them on, not only the Xboxes and PlayStations but obscure ones like the Casio Loopy, the only game system specifically geared toward girls, which came out in Japan in 1995, and the Pippin, a dud released by Apple the same year.

"Every game on it is awful," Thomasson says of Apple's foray into the gaming world. "It's the least fun of anything in the house."

At the other end of the spectrum is the old Colecovision unit like the one that appeared under the Christmas tree one year after his grandparents gave him his first game for it. They had mistakenly believed his parents had gotten their hands on the playing system, which was a hot item that year.

It stands to this day as the best present his parents ever gave him.

"It's my first love so it's sentimental," Thomasson said. But the games also were quality, with very little of the "shovelware" — mediocre, rushed releases — typical of many systems, he said.

"They looked good, they played good. For the time they sounded good," he said, "for the bleeps and blips of the 80s."

Thomasson began collecting almost immediately, he said, but the path to the world record had a couple of restarts. He sold off his collection twice, first in 1989 to raise money for a Sega Genesis, then again to pay for his 1998 wedding. ("I was heavy into collecting when we married so she knew what she was getting into," he says of his wife, JoAnn.)

Since then, Thomasson has methodically rebuilt the collection, averaging two games per day on a strict $3,000-a-year budget which means never paying full price.

He estimates the collection is worth $700,000 to $800,000.

He hasn't played every game. The father of a 5-year-old, Anna, Thomasson designs games and teaches 2D animation, game design and the history of video games at Canisius College in Buffalo. He also writes on the topic for magazines and books.

"I probably get three hours of playing in a week," he said. "If I'm lucky."
Guinness lists the number of games in Thomasson's record-breaking collection at 10,607, though he said the number exceeds 11,000 now, a year after the official count and after discovering forgotten stashes of games after the counting crew left.

Either way, it bested the previous record holder, Richard Lecce, who held the record first recorded in 2010 with 8,616 games.

"My congratulations to a fellow collector," Lecce, 39, said by phone from his Florida home upon hearing his record had fallen. "It's very impressive and I'm very happy for him."

Lecce began collecting as a way to own all the games he couldn't have as a kid, he said, and grew to appreciate their place in pop culture.

Still an active collector, Lecce hasn't counted his games in the last few years and doesn't know what his number has grown to, but he has no immediate plans to challenge Thomasson for his old record.

"It's something I did for my own enjoyment. I applied for the Guinness book for my kids so that years from now they can look back and say, wow, my father was in the 'Guinness Book of World Records,'" Lecce, a father of two and numismatist, a rare coin dealer, said.

He's happy to see more people collecting, and appreciating, video games.

"Everything from the original artwork to the actual code that was written for the games to the actual box art and the whole marketing plan," he said. "It's just a very undervalued and underappreciated art form."
jfreakofkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
eloratings
Posting freak
Points: 3,433, Level: 36 Points: 3,433, Level: 36 Points: 3,433, Level: 36
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii

My Mood: Tired
eloratings is a splendid one to beholdeloratings is a splendid one to beholdeloratings is a splendid one to beholdeloratings is a splendid one to beholdeloratings is a splendid one to beholdeloratings is a splendid one to behold

Friend Codes
Okay, so, he's an Arsenal fan in which I feel nothing against him.

I need to add his PSN ID.

All what I see in the picture is his bulky 360 games & some Wii games.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
Hakuryuu
sexy zone
Points: 3,906, Level: 39 Points: 3,906, Level: 39 Points: 3,906, Level: 39

My Mood: Bored
Hakuryuu is a glorious beacon of lightHakuryuu is a glorious beacon of lightHakuryuu is a glorious beacon of lightHakuryuu is a glorious beacon of lightHakuryuu is a glorious beacon of lightHakuryuu is a glorious beacon of light

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month Princess Award 
Total Awards: 2

Send a message via MSN to Hakuryuu Send a message via Skype™ to Hakuryuu 3DS Friend Code: 0044-3194-2141 WiiU ID: flareon
I don't know how to feel about this. It makes me somewhat saddened someone has that many video games.

metal gear solid 3

On 3/27/14, at 9:15 PM, Gareth Dent wrote:
> Sports:Bedroom golf, 3 hole course.
Hakuryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
Pokeman
Good ol PT
Points: 11,609, Level: 70 Points: 11,609, Level: 70 Points: 11,609, Level: 70

My Mood: Woot
Pokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Send a message via Skype™ to Pokeman PSN ID: Pityflame WiiU ID: Pityflame
I'm more than positive there's multiple people with a larger collection lol

not saying that doesn't mean the collection isn't... impressive..?
Old 12-25-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 19,741, Level: 88 Points: 19,741, Level: 88 Points: 19,741, Level: 88
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

Sheesh, trying to find almost every game ever? That must include some truly abysmal tripe. I honestly don't think it's worth it

Last edited by Megas75; 12-26-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Megas75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 34,800, Level: 100 Points: 34,800, Level: 100 Points: 34,800, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award NFF's 4th Annual Award 
Total Awards: 12

I like to collect games, but not the bad ones.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
Alice
触手姫。( ^ω^)
Points: 31,789, Level: 100 Points: 31,789, Level: 100 Points: 31,789, Level: 100
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

My Mood: Artistic
Alice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Member of the Month NFF Old Man Award NFF Annual Awards Level 100 Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Royalty Welcome Wagon Joker 
Total Awards: 14

Send a message via MSN to Alice Send a message via Skype™ to Alice 3DS Friend Code: 3711-7997-2642 Xbox Live Gamertag: ArktikAlice
I wonder if like... Someone visited and just snagged a few of his games. Would he notice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth
I spend many lonely nights wishing Alice would lock me in my bedchamber and pleasure me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderRebelNews via Skype
There are too few hours in a day for things like 'eating'
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:23 AM   #8
Lukario
Soft Edge
Points: 12,184, Level: 72 Points: 12,184, Level: 72 Points: 12,184, Level: 72

Lukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Super Member NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster NFF 3rd Annual Award Super Member NFF Artist Joker Inventor Award 
Total Awards: 10

But what's his gamerscore?
Old 12-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
Mario
Just Chillaxin
Points: 50,676, Level: 100 Points: 50,676, Level: 100 Points: 50,676, Level: 100
User owns 1x Blue Shell User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Links Shield User owns 1x Gold Coin
User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Red Pikmin

My Mood: Gaming
Mario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF's 4th Annual Award Monster Poster NFF Old Man Award NFF 3rd Annual Award Royalty Level 100 Award Mufasa NFF 1st Annual Award 
Total Awards: 9

3DS Friend Code: 4450-2343-3333 WiiU ID: test123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice-sama View Post
I wonder if like... Someone visited and just snagged a few of his games. Would he notice?
I just had a visual of Alice dressing up all sexy and stuff and visiting him, and excusing himself to the restroom, and snagging a few games under his nose.

Started from the bottom, now we're here.
Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #10
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 34,800, Level: 100 Points: 34,800, Level: 100 Points: 34,800, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award NFF's 4th Annual Award 
Total Awards: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
I just had a visual of Alice dressing up all sexy and stuff and visiting him, and excusing himself to the restroom, and snagging a few games under his nose.
Who keeps games under their nose?

Some daft comments on this forum I tell ya.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is online now   Reply With Quote