Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Other Reviews

Notices

Other Reviews Playstation, Xbox, PC, or any other console game Review. Also console reviews too

Comment

Review Tools
Sled Storm
Sled Storm
Have your snow gear ready?
Published by ゼルダ姫
12-26-2013
Author review
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 99%
Sled Storm

Sled Storm was the very first racer game to introduce snowmobile racing. Whether you are a snowmobile fanatic or not, this is a great introduction to the fun of racing in this style. It's a shame the games ceased to exist after the PS2 game, and that you can't even find much about them on the internet. This game had so many note worthy reasons to be full fun.

- Gameplay -
Like any other racing game you have your acceleration, break, and control pad/analog stick for control. The response to your input is quick, the controls are smooth, and there is never a fighting battle with the game to get it to do what you want.
There are a wide variety of courses to choose from like your generic trail rides, taking on a mountain, or racing through a forest. Each course also has a generous amount of hidden paths and shortcuts, which could be worth your while for many reasons. After all, who wouldn't want to catch a glimpse of a frozen mammoth?

Aside from all that, there are different characters to choose from that each have different stats. Upgrades to your snowmobile, tricks you can perform to earn points, (or by killing a random rabbit) or changing the time of day or weather definitely adds to the fun and challenge.

- Graphics -
For its era in time, and for the fact that its a PS game, the graphics are beautiful and accurate. The snowmobiles include all the realistic design/detail, as do the characters. Falling snow is gracefully accurate, and the effect of snowflakes zipping by as you race is present also. Your snowmobile will leave very realistic imprints in the snow, and racing at night with one headlight is right on the ball too. It's harder to see far off, especially with added snowfall.

There is some nice sightseeing as well. As I mentioned before there is a frozen mammoth, and even a bear up on a cliff. To sum it up most, (if not all) is very pleasing to the eyes.

- Sound -
Again, for being a PS game it is very beautiful. Each character has their own unique voice and phrases while racing. The snowmobiles sound just like the real thing, and the soundtrack of a total of 8 songs fits the game nicely. In one of the courses you can even hear the sound of a wolf that gets louder the closer you approach.

It also supports stereo sound.

- Unlockables/Secrets -
There is a decent amount of unlockables in the game. They range from very easy to very difficult. Some of these include extra characters, tracks, or the famous Sled Storm.
They are fun to try going for, even the more difficult ones.

This is definitely a game I would suggest to a friend or anyone. You don't necessarily need to be a racing fan, or even a snowmobile fan to get into the game and what it offers. You can play competitive or casual, alone or with others and equally enjoy all the little and big touches to this game.

So why not get your snow gear on and have some fun?
Published by
aka - Shiiku
ゼルダ姫 is a jewel in the roughゼルダ姫 is a jewel in the roughゼルダ姫 is a jewel in the roughゼルダ姫 is a jewel in the rough
Sponsored Links
By Brandyn on 12-26-2013, 04:46 PM
Not bad at all for your first review.
You did a good job of expressing that it is indeed a game worth playing in your opinion, only thing is it sort of lacks a sense of personality aside from your custom color/font. In other words, you tend to more so describe it like a Wikipedia article and just need to work on injecting a little more of yourself into the review, if that makes sense. But other than that, good read. Very informative.
By ゼルダ姫 on 12-26-2013, 05:00 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 99%
Thanks for the positive feedback and constructive criticism. I understand what you mean. I did compare my review to the wiki article and didn't see it as that, but I did notice that more of me and my opinion is needed.

So thanks again.
By Konata on 12-26-2013, 05:51 PM
This game is just amazing. I need to get a copy again. Feeling so much nostalgia right now.
By SuperGamecube64 on 12-28-2013, 12:58 PM
I used to play the demo of this game all the time when I was a kid. As for the review, I didn't get a lot out of it to be honest. It's not poorly written or anything, I just feel like there could have been more to it. My recommendation would be to ditch "sections" and just write it like an essay.
By Brandyn on 12-28-2013, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGamecube64 View Post
I used to play the demo of this game all the time when I was a kid. As for the review, I didn't get a lot out of it to be honest. It's not poorly written or anything, I just feel like there could have been more to it. My recommendation would be to ditch "sections" and just write it like an essay.
The sections thing was my advice. I think it helps people who are first starting out with writing these, and then as they improve they will learn how to transition and segue into everything without needing to segment it and then they can ditch it.
By Wiidude on 12-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Wiidude remembers this game. Good review of it sorta how I remember it too. Wiidude likes sections too.
By Gareth on 12-28-2013, 06:50 PM
The sections are great don't lose that Shiiku. This is a great review, i would like to nominate it for ROTM.

Criticism? Just more personality.
By ゼルダ姫 on 12-28-2013, 09:14 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
100%100%100%
Storyline
100%100%100%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
100%100%100%
Average 99%
Thanks for all the positive and constructive feedback, guys. I have a better idea on how to tackle the next one, which will definitely include more personality.

Thanks again :]
Comment