Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Gaming News

Notices

Gaming News Gaming News around the world.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:43 AM   #1
jfreakofkorn
Posting freak
Points: 6,463, Level: 52 Points: 6,463, Level: 52 Points: 6,463, Level: 52

jfreakofkorn is a jewel in the roughjfreakofkorn is a jewel in the roughjfreakofkorn is a jewel in the roughjfreakofkorn is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards 
Total Awards: 1

Wii U Outsells Xbox One The Week Before Christmas According To VGChartz

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...rtner=yahootix

We’ll start with the obligatory caveat: VGChartz is a controversial website. Any sales numbers taken from the site should, for a variety of reasons, be taken with a grain of salt. The numbers presented below should be viewed as estimates rather than hard data.

That being said, VGChartz’ weekly global sales figures for the week ending Dec. 21st place Nintendo’s Wii U one spot ahead of Microsoft’s Xbox One. The Wii U sold 319,860 units globally according to VGChartz, while the Xbox One sold just 307,366.

Notably, the Xbox One is still not for sale in Japan. But Microsoft has never mounted much of a threat in that region. (According to the below chart, the PSP sold nearly 9,000 units in Japan, while the Xbox 360 sold a paltry 688, lower than any other system currently for sale in the region. There is little reason to believe the Xbox One will change this.)

While the Wii U does appear to have some new legs this holiday season following the release of Super Mario 3D World, the real holiday power-houses are Nintendo’s 3DS handheld system and Sony’s PS4, with 1.07m units and 656,655 units sold respectively.

But even the Xbox 360 and PS3 outsold the Wii U and Xbox One during the major shopping week before Christmas according to these estimates.
I’m not sure if this bodes well for the Wii U, or ill for the Xbox One. One week of sales data—or sales estimates—can only provide so much insight.

Certainly the Wii U has a better stockpile of exclusive video games at this point than either of its major rivals’ next-gen systems, and enjoys a price-point well below either the PS4 ($100 less) or the Xbox One ($200 less) making it an attractive holiday purchase.

But analysts remain dubious about the Wii U’s sales prospects. Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter doubts the system will top 20m units by 2016.
“This is how it goes,” says Pachter.

“We expect Sony’s and Microsoft’s new consoles to thrive over the next three years, with cumulative worldwide sales of 37.7 million PS4 and 29 million Xbox One consoles by year-end 2016. We do not expect Nintendo’s Wii U to fare as well, with cumulative sales of under 20 million by 2016.”

The Wii U is a peculiar animal. I’ve sounded doubts and praise for the system, which I believe has both great potential and absolutely terrible marketing, and may yet surprise us all in the end.

If Nintendo can really come through with must-have exclusive content, the Wii U might start catching up with its cousin, the 3DS, which itself was something of a surprise.

2014 should be an interesting year for all three systems, as we see the next-gen race really take off. I suspect that by next New Years Eve we’ll have a much clearer portrait of where the console wars are headed. My best guess: The 3DS will still be the system to beat.
jfreakofkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2014, 08:45 AM   #2
Alice
----
Points: 32,720, Level: 100 Points: 32,720, Level: 100 Points: 32,720, Level: 100
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

My Mood: Artistic
Alice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant futureAlice has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Member of the Month NFF Old Man Award NFF Annual Awards Level 100 Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Royalty Welcome Wagon Joker 
Total Awards: 14

Send a message via MSN to Alice Send a message via Skype™ to Alice 3DS Friend Code: 3711-7997-2642 PSN ID: ArktikAlice Xbox Live Gamertag: ArktikAlice
Well it wouldn't surprise me.
The Wii U is a much more family-oriented console, so it makes sense that families would get it around the holiday season for... Well... Family fun-time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth
I spend many lonely nights wishing Alice would lock me in my bedchamber and pleasure me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderRebelNews via Skype
There are too few hours in a day for things like 'eating'
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:12 AM   #3
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 38,242, Level: 100 Points: 38,242, Level: 100 Points: 38,242, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 
Total Awards: 13

These figures do seem a bit off. 95,000 PSPs sold?

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:51 AM   #4
Tanis
Ordinary
Points: 6,095, Level: 50 Points: 6,095, Level: 50 Points: 6,095, Level: 50
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Daisy Flower User owns 1x Bomb User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

My Mood: Tired
Tanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Brawl AM First Time Award Signature of the Month Royalty Welcome Wagon Poster Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 6

3DS Friend Code: 034493603259 PSN ID: Tanis-sama WiiU ID: Peridot-sama
The 3DS has been selling around a million units a week for the past few weeks. That's pretty good considering how it started off. Maybe the Wii U will see a similar turnaround in the future.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:24 PM   #5
Rai17
Actor
Points: 14,649, Level: 78 Points: 14,649, Level: 78 Points: 14,649, Level: 78
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Snake rope User owns 1x Yo-Yo User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom User owns 2x Super Mushroom User owns 1x Mr Saturn User owns 1x Invincibility Star
User owns 2x Rod Of Seasons User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 2x Daisy Flower User owns 1x Harp of Ages User owns 2x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Water Element

My Mood: Brooding
Rai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Yoshi NFF Old Man Award Celebrity Royalty NFF 3rd Annual Award Inventor Award NFF Promoter 
Total Awards: 9

Hell yeah for the Wii U! Like Tanis said, maybe this is the turning point

~ Leftovers of a Genius

-My Twitter
--My YouTube
---My Instagram
----The NFF Facebook Page
Rai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:29 PM   #6
Pokeman
Good ol PT
Points: 13,897, Level: 76 Points: 13,897, Level: 76 Points: 13,897, Level: 76

My Mood: Woot
Pokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to beholdPokeman is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Send a message via Skype™ to Pokeman PSN ID: Pityflame WiiU ID: Pityflame
Don't believe VGChartz, they literally just make up numbers sometimes and replace them when they the real sale figures get released.

Pokeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:03 PM   #7
Fester
Goomba
Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1

Fester is an unknown quantity at this point

suprise suprise, wiiu beats out xbox one. I saw that coming
Fester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:40 PM   #8
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 23,741, Level: 94 Points: 23,741, Level: 94 Points: 23,741, Level: 94
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

WiiU ID: Megas75
Everything I've heard about VGChartz says that they're very unreliable.

Still if there's any truth in this, then I hope this means that the Wii U's luck will pick up